Singha Beer

tourist43

They reduced it to 5% a few years back. Not sure why - Alcohol tax??

Back in the good old, bad old, days the alcohol content of Singa was very high. I worked on an Australian aid project for a few years in the eighties, and we were warned by Embassy personnel to be very careful drinking Thai beer.

I have to say that I did not take much notice of their advice, and had some horrendous hangovers as a result. Apparently Singha used to vary between 8% and 12% - and I can believe it.

Back in the good old, bad old, days the alcohol content of Singa was very high. I worked on an Australian aid project for a few years in the eighties, and we were warned by Embassy personnel to be very careful drinking Thai beer.

I have to say that I did not take much notice of their advice, and had some horrendous hangovers as a result. Apparently Singha used to vary between 8% and 12% - and I can believe it.

Hahaha, you were not alone .Many could or would not drink beer singh,due to its propensity in delivering vile hangovers. In those days , the only alternatives were kloster and amarit, both pretty bloody awful beers.Until Chang came along, I used to drink Mekhong and Soda. I could not drink beer singh.Twas terrible muck

Hahaha, you were not alone .Many could or would not drink beer singh,due to its propensity in delivering vile hangovers. In those days , the only alternatives were kloster and amarit, both pretty bloody awful beers.Until Chang came along, I used to drink Mekhong and Soda. I could not drink beer singh.Twas terrible muck

Beer Singh is just too sweet, Kloster and Amarit were much better being dry beers, not that you could get them most places.

I think I had Amarit once and I still get a kick out of ordreing Kloster whenever I see it on a menu.

Like those stupid rumours years ago that it contained formaldehyde- OMG!!! and that rumour eventually transferred to Beer Chang ... both utterly ridiculous, of course. People stay say it contains formaldehyde to this day :rolleyes:

That's the only reason I drink it! I thought it was going to preserve my good looks into my ripe old age.

Singha is still the same as before its just the labels that have changed. That's what the Uk importer told me a few years ago anyway... tastes the same and gives me the same buzz so i'm happy :D

Go the Mighty CHANG............

I can never understand how you guys drink Chang.

I'm a Leo man, but I'm also into Archa.

What do you people think of that Siam Sato stuff they sell in 7-11? It's a kind a rice wine; 8% alcohol; and costs 25 Baht per bottle.

Go the Mighty CHANG............

I can never understand how you guys drink Chang.

I'm a Leo man, but I'm also into Archa.

What do you people think of that Siam Sato stuff they sell in 7-11? It's a kind a rice wine; 8% alcohol; and costs 25 Baht per bottle.

Cannot drink leo or archa, only drink Chang ,a proper beer 555555. Sato , i first drank about 15 years ago ,in a village , brewed illegally, "stored" in a hay-stack, as a result ,was drunk at Hay -stack temp.= hot.Was nice , but.Not filtered -white. Today ,legally manufactured, I like it a lot ,BUT I drink it, now, very cold. Most enjoyable ,but powerful

Singha 5%, Leo 5%, Chang Classic 6.3%, Chang light and draught 4.2%, Archa 5%, Cheers 5%. I also heard the story about Chang having some mystery ingredient in that"was no good" ( this came from a nurse at the local army camp. What can this mystery ingrediant be I asked? >>>>> Alcohol!!!!!!!!!! made a quick note ........... dont get taken to the army camp if I need a hospital!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm still waiting for Thailand to produce a drinkable lager. At around £2 a pop in Bangkok you'd think this would be a given but the only certainty is the rose tinted views of so many expats on the matter....rolleyes.gif

Singha 5%, Leo 5%, Chang Classic 6.3%, Chang light and draught 4.2%, Archa 5%, Cheers 5%. I also heard the story about Chang having some mystery ingredient in that"was no good" ( this came from a nurse at the local army camp. What can this mystery ingrediant be I asked? >>>>> Alcohol!!!!!!!!!! made a quick note ........... dont get taken to the army camp if I need a hospital!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chang Draught is 5% and probably the best out of a bad bunch. :(

I like Singh and along with my friends was having a few bottles every day at the time when they changed the label from 6% to 5%. That's a few years ago now, but I remember discussing it with my fellow Singh drinkers at the time and all agreeing that the beer hadn't changed at all. We all very much believed that it was a "label only" change.

I still think that Singh is stronger than Leo, although they are both labelled at 5%... Who knows!