Where To Buy Fish?

kitch

Hi,

I like fishing, I bought a fishing pond, I have no fish! Except the millions of tilapia.

So, I will put in a few barramundi to reduce the tilapia and give some sport but I would like other fish as well. I have spoken to a couple of other guys who are in the same boat. I am sure I will be able to find some but most likely I will buy poor fish or pay the wrong price.

I know the really big ones are in demand but I am looking for small and the ones at a few kilos each. I intend to just buy each month, different species and numbers until I have the stock correct.

The fish - just the normal ones, different carps, different cat fishes etc etc.

Any help with contacts etc. would be very much appreciated. I wouldn't wish to transport too far, I live in Ban Chang, Rayong.

thanks - David.

About 4 rai.

On the road to Phala beach in Ban Chang - about 40K east of pattaya

Your best bet then would be to buy fingerlings then out of JJ Market (Chatuchak), or visit your local fish farms. Could yo extend your pond at all?

Thanks,

I was thinking JJ market would only have the tropical fish types. Not been there for years, will go and take a look.

Maybe can make some contacts to buy bigger fish. I don't have the patience to wait for them all to grow.

Will find some fish farms - variety will be the problem I think and the species may not grow to a sufficient size. I'm not at home at the moment, have to rely on the wife to find things for me. Problem there is, the fish she would find will probably be frozen!

The lake can be extended but at the moment the lake is just for me so more than 4 rai would be getting greedy. I need as much land as I can for the animals. You have given me an idea to save some wall building costs - bit of a moat at one end.

I was hoping somebody would say - 'I have lots of fish, come and take them for free' Doubt that will happen.

They have all kinds of fish over there in JJ even saw a Goliath tiger fish there a while back. It might have been something else because im no expert but it looked like a small version of that fish. I seen a few on that angling show.

Had to google that one and then remembered it from some fishing show.

Found a link for JJ and they weren't expensive, 3K or something for one a few inches long.

look a bit nasty if somebody was in the water; shall get some!

tried to stay away from JJ because of heat and crowding etc. but it seems the fish are sold on a wednesday as well, with the plants. so will give it a visit and see what I can find.

big fish are the key though; fishing your own lake with nothing over a kilo is very frustrating. Had to employ a couple of people as well; I havent been bothered with the netting of pla nin but that is going to change.

In two minds if I should open it to the public when everything is good. Any fishing expert in Ban Chang who wishes to come and give me some advice, feel free.