Disturbing The Peace!

patsfangr

Are there any Thai people monitoring this forum? If so, I would like to ask why the incredible rudeness and ignorance of BLARING SPEAKERS throughout neighborhoods here is allowed, and why Thai people not involved in the "party" tolerate it.

In the USA, there is a rule of reasonableness for the level of music and other sound from a party. The basic idea is that you have the right to party, but it does NOT include the right to drown out the life of everyone within a KILOMETER OF YOUR PARTY!!

I live within a kilometer of the park beside the Wat Suttawat. Occasionally - tonight being such an occasion - there is some sort of event held there. They have speakers that could well be used in a football stadium for a major concert event! The music tonight, which, I must add with a touch of respect, is Thai "country" stuff, performed by HORRIBLE "singers'. It is, to be kind, very offensive to the ears of most of us westerners. But, of course, this is not our country, so it is only fair to set aside objections to the "music".

But I strongly stand by my contention that it is rude and ignorant to BLAST IT at sound levels that carry for MILES! There should be enforced rules against this in any reasonable civilization!!

I literally cannot hear my TV due to the level of the sound coming from that park.

Just ONE of the things that irritate me about this country. Had to vent tonight, since I can't do anything else with this noise permeating the walls of my home!!

I'd say there is absolutely nothing you can do. The Thais love their noise, mess, dangerous roads, scabby soi dogs etc. You just have to learn to live with it and convince yourself it's a great place to live. There's no easy fix I'm afraid.

It's inconsiderate.

Thais don't complain because they are afraid of the consequences.

I think there is often some of that, there is also some of the "consideration" issue in that you don't want to embarrass someone by criticizing them or something they are doing. There is also the fact that when it comes time for "your" party, you can also blast the music as loud as you want and no one will complain and ask you to turn it down.

I agree it is most distressing to most Westerners the general noise levels in Thailand (and most developing countries for some reason...fascination with new technology?) and it has not gone un-noted by the most respected figure in the Kingdom but alas it's still a problem. I guess it boils down to a cultural issue and falls in to the category of things that were extant before most of us decided to settle here and therefore we don't have mush business trying to change it.

PS: As an aside, the first rule of thumb when looking for a place to live is to NOT be within 1-2 kilos of a Thai temple (or Muslim mosque) because of all the community events which take place therein and the noise these produce. (In addition to the human fly-ash from all the cremations settling on one's house [most Thai women wouldn't allow their hubbies to rent/buy nearby for this reason alone].)

Edited by FarangBuddha

I have a friend who lives in Bang Sa le, Pattaya, when I visit the sound of music from country bars and the odd private party can be heard most nights, some must be over a few Kms away. It's not the music per say, more the 'bass' this low frequency sound just carries on through walls and solid objects, drives him nuts!

I feel very lucky; it doesn't bother me…..Unless it's in my face, so to speak. However I can well understand how this can send people into a hissy fit, I see it on apar with trying to sleep and have someone in the room snoring.

Why doThais do this, well it's only an opinion but with Thai culture being the way it is, this traditional over the top effort to 'appear' polite and earn merit for the next life……….only applies when they are with; family, work colleges, people of influence, someone they may be able to scam, (gain there trust) basically…..only when in their best interest. OK…I know this does not apply to all by any means, but it's a framework.

Take a working class, (any) Thai out of his day to day status…..Put him in a pick-up,a box, insulated from having to interact in the normal Thai way, or fill himfull of cheap booze in a bar, or private party, with his friends.

This 'facesaving thing' IMHO when I first heard of this I thought, what an enlightened way of looking at things. Ha! Most Thai don't use 'face saving' to save the face of other……..They use it as a weapon, a tool to manipulate a situation.

Would you agree that by playing music at a lower level, so as not to up-set others would be more in keeping with 'face saving' I think so. However what happens more than not; the music is cranked up then the whole 'face saving' thing is passed to the poor sap that can't take the noise anymore and complains. He/she is now the one in Thai culture that's the trouble maker, making the people at the party to lose face! This way of using 'face saving' to do what you want can be see everywhere in Thailand…All day long in one situation or another.

Then there the other reason music is played so loud………..They just don't give a toss!

Bottom line…..You can't win, complaining make you the trouble maker.

Edited by Tonto21

Man I hate whingers like the OP, so many dragstrips in AUS have been shutdown due to urban sprawl, people choose to buy a house next to a dragstrip then have the audacity to bitch,moan and lobby the gumbyments till they are shut down.

i expect it will be no consolation to you but i heard the low bass thump over the last two nights concerts too and i live on the far side of Lake Mabprachan, about another 5kms past you

i hate it too, i would love to unload a few rounds of birdshot into the speakers

now thats a boom boom sound i like..........

Sh-t, Dude- doncha know?? This is Thailand, where the locals celebrate with (Sangsom &) ultra-loud music anywhere, anytime... and everyone else critcizes the Yanks. Fun for all ages.

B)

The "noise" thing is really annoying to those who came here for a relaxed retirement lifestyle only to find noise, noise, noise. I hate visiting my wife's family in the sticks because of the constant noise that starts as early as 5 am in the morning. Thais seem to be oblivious to it and are not at all concerned about "disturbing the neighbors." I have found this to be true living in a condo in Jomtien. When the Thais are not there, it is usually fairly quiet except the bar noise that goes up the sides of the condo building and reaches everyone. When the Thais come, often on the weekends, you can forget about peace and quiet--nothing but stupid ass music and karaoke crap and loud talking, non-stop. It is part of Thai culture to do this. I think it might have something to do with "thinking." When it is quiet, you often think (most of us). Thais do not like being put in that situation for a reason we can all quess :)

It's inconsiderate.

Thais don't complain because they are afraid of the consequences.

And what they might be,shot,butchered ????

So a thai is scared of another thai,if thats right why is the thai making the noise in the first place,as he should be scared of his actions,u dont make sense mate

Man I hate whingers like the OP, so many dragstrips in AUS have been shutdown due to urban sprawl, people choose to buy a house next to a dragstrip then have the audacity to bitch,moan and lobby the gumbyments till they are shut down.

I understand where you're coming from 'Spoonman' the same problem in the UK.People with money coming down from the cities to find a 'little county' cottage.The wanke_rs spend no more than a few weekend there a year, but systematically go about changing the lifestyle of the locals by going to courts, getting injunctions on; church bells, on Sunday mornings, gagging orders on cockerels crowing, or tractors driving within 100 meters of their 'cottage' before 11am on weekends!

However your analogy with the OP's story I feel is way off and has no bearing on what he's talking about, 'chalk and cheese' so to speak.

As I have said in my last post, the noise doesn't really bother me, but to some…….Drives my mate nutty! I take it you're not bothered by it……You live in Thailand; right…anywhere near this type of noise the OP is on about?

As for anyone thinking, if you don't like loud music, don't move near a bar! I would say; you don't know Thailand. With no planning permission really needed, (in the sticks) a bar can start up from nothing in less than 12 hours.Interestingly, (I've found) if you go out, at say 11pm, follow the sound of 'party' when you get there, more than not…………..Its empty, maybe 1 or 2 passed out Muppets and the music full tilt, if your very lucky the same song, (track) is playing over and over…and over again.

Edited by Tonto21

Everyone is the sum of their experiences so if many rural Thais have not grown up in a tranquil environment their expectations are not the same as those that have.

I also find noise an issue but have accepted the few times that I have had to be exposed to it.

The noise abatement laws are, I think, that 2am to 5am are designated quiet hours and one can get action from police if undue noise is evident within those hours.

I take it you're not bothered by it……You live in Thailand; right…anywhere near this type of noise the OP is on about?

I create enough noise of my own to know better than to whinge about it, my pickup stezza is almost done, am hoping for 145db, hopefully more.

12062011121.jpg

Edited by Spoonman

I take it you're not bothered by it……You live in Thailand; right…anywhere near this type of noise the OP is on about?

I create enough noise of my own to know better than to whinge about it, my pickup stezza is almost done, am hoping for 145db, hopefully more.

12062011121.jpg

That will wake up drinking st mate lol

12062011121.jpg

Don't know how old you are Spoonman, but at 145db expect to need a hearing aid when your older. biggrin.gif

12062011121.jpg

Ha ha, I see your point, but I would bet a pound to a pinch of shit you don't play…………………. "Now that's what I call Issan" classic tracks at 145db amongst the locals.

Edited by Tonto21

The "noise" thing is really annoying to those who came here for a relaxed retirement lifestyle only to find noise, noise, noise. I hate visiting my wife's family in the sticks because of the constant noise that starts as early as 5 am in the morning. Thais seem to be oblivious to it and are not at all concerned about "disturbing the neighbors." I have found this to be true living in a condo in Jomtien. When the Thais are not there, it is usually fairly quiet except the bar noise that goes up the sides of the condo building and reaches everyone. When the Thais come, often on the weekends, you can forget about peace and quiet--nothing but stupid ass music and karaoke crap and loud talking, non-stop. It is part of Thai culture to do this. I think it might have something to do with "thinking." When it is quiet, you often think (most of us). Thais do not like being put in that situation for a reason we can all quess :)

Have you tried carnking up some classical music, and leave your condo

for the weekend ? Make sure it will play non stop. Lets see how these

wonderful Thais will tolerate your music at all kind of hours ?!

Cheers,

rudi

It's not only the sound, but it is with everything that has to do with other people-awareness:

- holding a door of a store or office for somebody else

- burning garbage in a busy residential area

- driving a car or motorbike

- cleaning out ones nose in a busy restaurant

- talk out loud un-necessarily, the listener is 50 cm away

- organize parties on your doorstep

- let the dog shit right in front of your home

- having discussions and family-meetings in the corridors at Tesco, BigC or any other supermarket

- and of course: loud music, noise and those bloody people who think that they are Tata Young or Justin Bieber.

In brief: it's the total lack of the awareness of the people around them (including the environment)