To Buy A House In Sansai River View 2 By Orinsin?

newthaiman

"Definitely rent before you buy property. Don't buy any property until you have reliable knowledge and support that you can trust."

Good advice, why not just rent for a year, get a good feel for CM and Thai living.....it's cheap to rent a 3 bed house anywhere in and around CM....will give you time to get used to living here and maybe ascertain where you and the missus want to live and gives you time to ensure you want to live here permanently.

Good example...I rushed in a bit and put money into a house in Sansai a few years ago, lived there for a year with the GF and got bored out of my brains, too quiet and boring for me.....we now have an empty house in Sansai and we now rent an apartment in town. In hindsight, never thought I would get bored, nice detached house etc but it did and took a year or so to realise!

You also need to remember that selling on a 2nd hand house is not as easy as in the west, seen many many empty houses just sitting there waiting to be sold, including ours! So if you buy and don't like the area, you could be stuck!

If you want a nice 3 bed/3 bath detached house in a nice and safe (boring) moo baan in Sansai, drop me a line, will do a good deal! I mean the GF will! rolleyes.gif

I found the opposite .After several years of living in a Condo in Thailand it was great to get a house ,with a bit of garden ,and space to pursue hobbies .I also live in San Sai but if i want the town its only 20 minutes drive away .

Give me 10 years! House will probably still not be sold, so no worries!

In my opinion, buying a few condos is a much better idea. There are condos you can buy in your own name. The rent from the condos can give you a better return without having to worry about staff, the music police and a host of other problems.

If you buy a house and your wife passes away you have to sell the property to a Thai person within 12 months.

Definitely rent before you buy property. Don't buy any property until you have reliable knowledge and support that you can trust.

I certainly wish that I had done a lot more research before buying property and taken things a lot more slowly. Imagine the worst possible situation like your wife wanting a divorce - not at all uncommon in Thailand - and then think about trying to unravel the mess. A rental home would be a blessing in such a situation.

Other people have had great ideas for a business and the ability and finances to establish the business which has then gone on to become successful. Something as silly as not allowing an internationally renowned farang musician not being allowed to play music in his own business has then put the kibosh on the business resulting in a huge loss of money and incredible frustration.

You can never predict what will happen in the future but one can be fairly safe in making the prediction that if something unexpected does happen to affect the farang business it won't be in a positive way (from a farung point of view).

Buy Condo's and operate company that supply your homeland IMO. Yet seen a few making $$$ from ventures in Thai mostly back to homeland- yet you are not smarter than Asian biz guys- they have local knowledge and mates, etc. Just KNOW over 95% fail in less than 10 years. Yet it still 80% failure rate on relationships and businesses in your own homeland..........spouse is important in this land.

I would never feel comfortable with as little to live off as u suggested in bank- I would go 2 Mio Condo 3 Mio cash\stocks\whatever. Better still 5 Mio cash\stocks\etc and rent under 4% yield if want a property- easy, Thai banks no interest rate for farangs- so forget them.

Do not trust this government and the LEAN against property to protect yourself is a CON... as stated from Thai lawyer. As any problems she kicks u out and good luck in court. Simply accept it is not our country and relax. Seek your niche and take ur time in investing IMO.

Always best from what I seen when majority 90%+ of assets in the name of Farang (As typically 90%+ came from you)..... Condos, cars, biz's, investments, etc. Give her a car, motorbike whatever... then protect her in a Thai 'Will' if wish (Especially if children involved). If assets not equal it only common sense whether you have 5 Mio or 5000 Mio. Different world.... farangs can be better off in worst case here if played correctly- as we butchered in any divorce in homeland.

One more point buy Condos, cars, etc before married or it can be claimed as common property in worst case- EXPECT the best and plan for the the worst (Just in case).

Exciting times- like many here been through it many times.... enjoy, learn and experience life. Well done- u out of the 'rat race'- staying there takes 'smarts'.

Cheers JAY

Do not trust this government and the LEAN against property to protect yourself is a CON... as stated from Thai lawyer. As any problems she kicks u out and good luck in court. Simply accept it is not our country and relax. Seek your niche and take ur time in investing IMO.

I think you mean LIEN and I agree with your advice. Look out for yourself.

In my opinion, buying a few condos is a much better idea. There are condos you can buy in your own name. The rent from the condos can give you a better return without having to worry about staff, the music police and a host of other problems.

If you buy a house and your wife passes away you have to sell the property to a Thai person within 12 months.

Definitely rent before you buy property. Don't buy any property until you have reliable knowledge and support that you can trust.

I certainly wish that I had done a lot more research before buying property and taken things a lot more slowly. Imagine the worst possible situation like your wife wanting a divorce - not at all uncommon in Thailand - and then think about trying to unravel the mess. A rental home would be a blessing in such a situation.

Other people have had great ideas for a business and the ability and finances to establish the business which has then gone on to become successful. Something as silly as not allowing an internationally renowned farang musician not being allowed to play music in his own business has then put the kibosh on the business resulting in a huge loss of money and incredible frustration.

You can never predict what will happen in the future but one can be fairly safe in making the prediction that if something unexpected does happen to affect the farang business it won't be in a positive way (from a farung point of view).

Buy Condo's and operate company that supply your homeland IMO. Yet seen a few making $$ from ventures in Thai mostly back to homeland- yet you are not smarter than Asian biz guys- they have local knowledge and mates, etc. Just KNOW over 95% fail in less than 10 years. Yet it still 80% failure rate on relationships and businesses in your own homeland..........spouse is important in this land.

I would never feel comfortable with as little to live off as u suggested in bank- I would go 2 Mio Condo 3 Mio cash\stocks\whatever. Better still 5 Mio cash\stocks\etc and rent under 4% yield if want a property- easy, Thai banks no interest rate for farangs- so forget them.

Always best from what I seen when majority 90%+ of assets in the name of Farang (As typically 90%+ came from you)..... Condos, cars, biz's, investments, etc. Give her a car, motorbike whatever... then protect her in a Thai 'Will' if wish (Especially if children involved). If assets not equal it only common sense whether you have 5 Mio or 5000 Mio. Different world.... farangs can be better off in worst case here if played correctly- as we butchered in any divorce in homeland.

One more point buy Condos, cars, etc before married or it can be claimed as common property in worst case- EXPECT the best and plan for the the worst (Just in case).

Exciting times- like many here been through it many times.... enjoy, learn and experience life. Well done- u out of the 'rat race'- staying there takes 'smarts'.

Cheers JAY

Ref your statement above about "thai banks no interest for farangs". Totally incorrect. Matter of fact, we (wife and I) just got 3.5 percent rate for a period of 5 months at Bangkok Bank. Then, they come out with other promotions every few months. AND, I have my own account, only in my name with TMB and am getting 2.5 percent per annun. Rates in Thailand are continuing to go up, so look around for best deal.

Buy Condo's and operate company that supply your homeland IMO. Yet seen a few making $$ from ventures in Thai mostly back to homeland- yet you are not smarter than Asian biz guys- they have local knowledge and mates, etc. Just KNOW over 95% fail in less than 10 years. Yet it still 80% failure rate on relationships and businesses in your own homeland..........spouse is important in this land.

Cheers JAY

Ref your statement above about "thai banks no interest for farangs". Totally incorrect. Matter of fact, we (wife and I) just got 3.5 percent rate for a period of 5 months at Bangkok Bank. Then, they come out with other promotions every few months. AND, I have my own account, only in my name with TMB and am getting 2.5 percent per annun. Rates in Thailand are continuing to go up, so look around for best deal.

It's hardly worth tying up your cash for a measly 2.5%!

Buy Condo's and operate company that supply your homeland IMO. Yet seen a few making $ from ventures in Thai mostly back to homeland- yet you are not smarter than Asian biz guys- they have local knowledge and mates, etc. Just KNOW over 95% fail in less than 10 years. Yet it still 80% failure rate on relationships and businesses in your own homeland..........spouse is important in this land.

Cheers JAY

It's hardly worth tying up your cash for a measly 2.5%!

What do you mean? "hardly worth tying up your cash" I just provided information that it IS possible to get interest on your money here in Thailand. Do you know where you can get a better guaranteed return here in Thailand? Please share...

What do you mean? "hardly worth tying up your cash" I just provided information that it IS possible to get interest on your money here in Thailand. Do you know where you can get a better guaranteed return here in Thailand? Please share...

I thought I understood that you had to deposit the money over a period of time to earn the 2.5%. Are you saying that you can earn 2.5% on an account that you can withdraw regularly from?

Really, no where in the world pays much interest on cash deposits these days. Swiss Banks only pay 1.5% or thereabouts. I think U.S. banks pay less than 1% for the most part.

You can earn better than 2.5% if invested in dividend paying securities in Thailand.

I thought I understood that you had to deposit the money over a period of time to earn the 2.5%. Are you saying that you can earn 2.5% on an account that you can withdraw regularly from?

Really, no where in the world pays much interest on cash deposits these days. Swiss Banks only pay 1.5% or thereabouts. I think U.S. banks pay less than 1% for the most part.

You can earn better than 2.5% if invested in dividend paying securities in Thailand.

TMB pay 2.5% interest, allow 2 withdrawal each month (no limit) at no cost, extra withdrawal cost 50bht each

Disadvantage

No card, all transactions at bank using book.

...But when i bought the house ,she was not yet my wife . :rolleyes:

I ask in office today, they say marriage trump other contract, wife can cancel on divorce.

Good luck!

That seems very strange. Three people that I know own their houses on leased land, and they are not married. What does your "office" say about that one?

TMB pay 2.5% interest, allow 2 withdrawal each month (no limit) at no cost, extra withdrawal cost 50bht each

Disadvantage

No card, all transactions at bank using book.

I keep my 800,000 baht with TMB and don't touch it throughout the year. 2.5 % is much more than having the money in the bank in the US. Sorry, for some that don't know, I'm on a retirement visa, that's why the 800,000 baht. I don't need to withdraw, so the 50bht charge is irrelevant. As I previously said, don't know what type of account it is, but Bangkok Bank is now paying 3.5%. Both wife and I are on the account.

I ask in office today, they say marriage trump other contract, wife can cancel on divorce.

Good luck!

That seems very strange. Three people that I know own their houses on leased land, and they are not married. What does your "office" say about that one?

I agree with MM (in that I, too, know of such situations). Usefructs and titles to houses are legal contracts separate from marriage "contracts". That is not to say that a court can not abrogate either one of them during a divorce, but that is another issue.

And I know of a real case where an expat put the title to the land in a 3rd party nominee's name (thinking it was legal). He later found out it wasn't, tried to get the title back to sell the house and land, and the nominee title holder refused to sign it over. He went to court and won and was given a year to sell it.

Your mileage may differ.

I agree with MM (in that I, too, know of such situations). Usefructs and titles to houses are legal contracts separate from marriage "contracts". That is not to say that a court can not abrogate either one of them during a divorce, but that is another issue.

And I know of a real case where an expat put the title to the land in a 3rd party nominee's name (thinking it was legal). He later found out it wasn't, tried to get the title back to sell the house and land, and the nominee title holder refused to sign it over. He went to court and won and was given a year to sell it.

Your mileage may differ.

There are law in Thailand to stop husband take advantage of wife and other way.

I can assure you 100% wife can cancel usafruct with husband on divorce, she just goto land office with divorce document, no lawyer, no court needed, former husband not notified.

No contract husband make with wife valid on divorce in Thailand.

You feel happy, believe what you want, not my money.

If I may quote translated Thai law section

Section 1469. Any agreement conducted between husband and wife during marriage may be voided by either of them at any time during marriage or within one year from the day of dissolution of marriage; provided that the right of third persons acting in good faith are not affected thereby.

Edited by OlafStapleton