Sending A Mobile Phone To India Anyone Done It Before From Chaingmai

Ta22

anyway promise someone that i will give his boy a mobile phone if he do well for his study ..

anyone done it before sending mobile phone to india from chiangmai .

-- one of those mid end mobile that is about $200-300 usd .

or is it cheaper if i order online from india and send it to their address .

Edited by Ta22

I just Googled cell phone India and got a site that has them starting at 2,000 rupees. If I read the exchange rate correctly, there are some 44 rupees to the dollar so that is $50 U.S.

That was just a fast search and looking at the first site that popped up.

Hi Ta22,

In April of this year I was shown a good "smart-phone" while I was in India and which had been purchased this year for 6000 Rps. (the equivalent of, approximately US$135/THB4000 ). It was able to use full internet service emails, surfing the net and including being able to watch u-tube). I do not remember the model number but what I'm suggesting is that it will probably be better to order on-line for delivery in India rather than mailing from here when you consider registered/insured air-mail costs etc.) Incidentally, after making numerous enquiries, it would seem that Nokia brand, despite being given a thumbs-down here, is definitely the preferred brand in India.

Probably best to simply send the funds, if you can be certain that they will be used for the purpose you wish, and let the young person make their own selection.

Cheers.

thanks for the great advice , i am thinking in the Range of a 3G phone like HTC with a 3 inch Screen on it at least , anything less then $300 usd . i think is not too expensive , got no idea what kids like nowaday . i got about 2 month to see what is nice . but the advice to get it in india instead of sending it from chaingmai is kinda good also .

the thing is i do not know india well enough to know who or which online shop to trust . saw a few model in the 12,000rs 15,000rs range which i think is still within the $300 range i set .

i did some checking phone here seem cheaper from some of the online store in india but of cos like you said shipping plus taxes and duty might end up the same .

i also do not know the service term in india . so might end up giving my friends more trouble then surpise .

i am looking at either samsung galaxy S or htc wildfire . or a motorla defy . seem kinda cool with nice screen not as prime as a iphone and it also suit the price i set .

. Thanks in advance , and if it not related ot chiangmai anymore the Mod can close the thread .

so i will hurt in india or join aindia forum to check out more info .

if anyone do have any info :) and it not too much trouble you can PM me :)

Many thanks once again

Send by post with registered service reply back by postcard when recipient get it.

Should pack well many time with airbubble.

The one i know he bought Tablet from Singapore dealer send him by post

and it's arrive Thailand well.

Should show that it's gift so no problem for import duty at India side.

Jula at Intermover Thailand

what i worry most is that he got tax for the phone cos i want it to be a gift and not a problem for them .

the suggestion to get it from india online shop is a great one .

Mahseer

I will be heading back to India around the 17 August and don't mind posting providing I get to inspect contents first. Undecided whether it will be Mumbai or Delhi yet but likely the latter.

Thanks you for your offer. but i will only send it in mid sep . cos is the boy birthday wanna surpise him with the phone . so any sooner would spoil the surprise .

part of the worry for me is that is it better i send the Cash and let them buy it or buy the phone .. cos i know the boy want a nice Phone which allow him to go online and more of a tech savy part and i belief that a more tech savy phone for him may change his life for him .. just like when i was 12 my mom got me a Cannon Eos10 it did change my life .

to cut thing short

my 2 main worry is

1.Taxes if i send it from thailand

2.monthly bill from mobile usage . my monthly bill is 2000+ no idea about india and if it 3G .

but more or less the idea of getting form india itself sound like a better one cos he might be able to get a user plan at the same time .

part of the worry for me is that is it better i send the Cash and let them buy it or buy the phone .. cos i know the boy want a nice Phone which allow him to go online and more of a tech savy part and i belief that a more tech savy phone for him may change his life for him .. just like when i was 12 my mom got me a Cannon Eos10 it did change my life .

to cut thing short

my 2 main worry is

1.Taxes if i send it from thailand

2.monthly bill from mobile usage . my monthly bill is 2000+ no idea about india and if it 3G .

but more or less the idea of getting form india itself sound like a better one cos he might be able to get a user plan at the same time .

Ta22,

3G is everywhere in India. The one I spoke about for 6000Rps.was 3G. Internet providers like bsnl charge extremely cheap rates, particularly if the user can claim a students rate. By cheap, I mean, CHEAP.

Good luck.

Cheers.