Top Academics Oppose Pheu Thai Computer Tablets Plan

webfact

EDUCATION

Top academics oppose computer tablets plan

By Wannapa Khaopa

Chularat Saengpassa

The Nation

But govt advisers say first handouts to schools in 2012

Academics have warned the Pheu Thai Party not to continue its election promise to hand out computer tablets to children, without consideration of the software needed to promote technology-driven learning.

But Pavich Thongroj, an educational adviser for the Pheu Thai Party, insisted the party would go ahead with the handout of tablets, with netbooks or notebooks for older students.

He expected the Pheu Thai-led government to begin implementing the policy by giving the tablets to 800,000 Prathom-1 students in the 2012 fiscal year.

"It will cost about Bt4 billion," he said.

He said secondary students were likely to get either notebooks and netbooks instead of tablets, which have more limited functions.

Chainarong Indharameesup, chairman of Boyden global executive search, who is also on the education reform policy committee, and Maitree Inprasitha, dean of Education at Khon Kaen University, are against the tablet PC per child policy.

Maitree said: "It's useless if you [Pheu Thai] just give them tablets, while there are no e-books or other software that will help arouse their learning. Lots of students now cannot even [calculate numbers], which is a basic skill."

He said the party should pay more attention to students' learning, not technological devices.

It would be better to give Bt20,000 to Bt30,000 to each school to provide good and interesting instructional media items - such as magnetic blackboard. That would enable children to learn from different activities with the blackboard rather than just writing. "Doing that would be is better. It would help students learn and have fun together."

Sompong Jitradab, a lecturer at Chulalongkorn University's Faculty of Education and member of the education reform policy committee, said the Pheu Thai plan was "a double-edged sword".

Personal computer tablets could make children addicted to computer games and spending time alone or with just a few friends.

"Such lifestyles hinder children's physical and emotional development," he noted.

Sompong said research had shown most young children use computers for playing games, with only 15 per cent using them for learning.

"Research findings have confirmed computer-game addiction is the reason behind so many dropouts," he said.

So, the Pheu Thai Party must implement its plan carefully if it wants to honour the promise to hand out tablets to children.

"They need to choose the right age groups and train teachers how to supervise their students' use of tablets. Without careful planning, the handout would do more harm than good," he warned.

Chainarong wanted the party to not only dump the policy, but forego other handouts, including increases in teachers' salaries and academic standing payments and other educational investments, like infrastructure and facilities to make "quality schools" for each tambon. Past governments invested huge amounts of money but had not managed them transparently and effectively.

He preferred the party to focus on managing good educational resources and transparency.

Maitree urged investment in quality schools, improving them not only in terms of infrastructure but also students' performance, making parents trust their quality of study. To achieve this, Maitree said universities would have to take responsibility as well. They should work closely with schools. He thought mass teacher training in every region and the Teachers TV scheme should be canned, feeling they were a waste of money. "Such projects are not useful. They cannot change teachers' teaching behaviour."

Dr Wijit Srisa-arn, a former education minister, said tablets would be just a tool. He said the key to good educational services was content.

"We have to improve the quality of education. We have to improve the quality of teachers. Also, we need to place emphasis on morality. We need ethical people not just capable people," he said.

Chainarong said the government should education reform as an urgent priority, as education was in crisis and reform progress slow.

July-11-Expensive-EDU.jpg

For long-term educational development, Maitree urged universities producing teachers for basic education to have practical innovations to prove their effectiveness in real teaching situations. These should then be implemented in classrooms. Practical teaching, with best practices gathered in reports to the Office of the Education Council, would also help. "We should put such best practice into action," Maitree said.

Chainarong said the government should raise awareness among parents, local administrative bodies and government officials about the educational crisis and make them understand the problems clearly - that Thai education was poor and ways needed to lift it to a higher level. "It's crucial to make them realise educational development is every sector's responsibility so they will give it a hand."

Maitree and Chainarong agreed that Pheu Thai, as leader of the coming government, should be in charge of the Education Ministry as they hoped it would use its power to push education forward.

Thais are now looking forward to seeing what will happen to their country's education under the new government.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-11

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maitree Inprasitha, dean of Education at Khon Kaen University...

Maitree said: "It's useless if you [Pheu Thai] just give them tablets, while there are no e-books or other software that will help arouse their learning. Lots of students now cannot even [calculate numbers], which is a basic skill."

And that's even after they arrive at university.... ;)

But seriously, those tablets and netbooks will be great for the kids watching YouTube videos and playing/downloading MP3s...

BTW, where's the internet access going to come from, and who's going to be paying for it, for all the pad and netbook-carrying kiddies out in the boonies?

"It will cost about Bt4 billion," he said."

Pretty sure THB 4 billion or the THB 50 billion mentioned in the graphic could be better spent on getting addtional teachers and providing better facilties rather than buying tablets/netbooks which are going to be used to play games one...:whistling:

Very sad really...Believe the populist promises made with actually make the standards of education deteriorate even further

"Academics Oppose..."

There you are. A worldwide headline...

Here's another...

"Academics live in an externally financed world where they can talk <deleted> without having to face the consequences"

This should create a great opportunity for those that really need a new tablet or notebook.There will 1000's available at numerous pawnshops throughout Thailand at a much reduced price.

This should create a great opportunity for those that really need a new tablet or notebook.There will 1000's available at numerous pawnshops throughout Thailand at a much reduced price.

The skeptical side of me thinks the same thing.

Mmmmm. Magnetic blackboards more important than a computer?

I'd question that one.

I wouldn't give them internet ability, just educational software .

My son is 5 and already typing without looking at his keyboard. (home keys anyway)

Time to open up a pawn shop to make a killing off all the hocked tablets.ph34r.gif

Giving these things to children is an incredible waste of money. Imagine what that money could do if it was invested in employing more teachers and better schools.

The netbooks is a new one blink.gif When did they pitch that policy.

Crazy Thailand. Whatcha gonna dojap.gif

One of the major problems with Thai education is that the teaching methods and content are decades behind the "real life" the kids live in today.

During my time teaching English in schools where 95% of students had no desire, and no need to learn/use English ever, I quickly realised the need for me to create the learning environment where the kids wanted to learn.

I had classes from P1 to P6 and a total of approxomately 800 students per week, and they had had native English speaking teachers for about 3 years prior to my taking over, with absolutly zero results. When I took over the position I was having the same zero results. It was a total waste of time and money teaching to kids that refused to learn. I realised that the only way i could acieve any results at all (and keep my job) was to change the teaching method to make the students WANT to learn. So......what did the kids enjoy doing............after school they all headed for the net shop and played com games, so it was obvious what I needed to do.

I threw out all the textbooks etc and instead set up my laptop and a large screen LED TV and sound system as my teaching tools. I changed rooms every hour so it had to be easily set up and transportable

I used cartoons and computer games and karaoki vids as my teaching material. I found an immediate 100% turnaround in my students attention and attitude. The worst trouble makers I always targeted for managing the games etc for the students. Result....they felt wanted and became leaders instead of laggards. Of course, ALL the cartoons, games, and songs were in English. Within a year virtually ALL of my students could use very basic English. After 2 years it was possible to have a very basic conversation with most of the students.

The same methods can be used for science and even maths, there is a large range of software available if you are prepared to look. With schools getting Wi Fi it becomes even easier. ( not available when I was teaching)

So to all the knockers of using technology in teaching, need get their heads out of the sand and provide "todays" technology for kids to learn. I can clearly remember when pocket calculators first became available (yes I am that old now) and we were not allowed to use them at school. Nowdays no one would contemplate NOT using them. Sure it takes away the basic mental skill of maths, but show me where that skill is used or required now? If you cant use a computer you cant get a job. Even in basic hand skills manufacturing , technology has taken over, and the skills to use that technology is a basic requirement for employment.

So dont knock it...get behind the push to tech teaching,

BUT, the key is...... it does need the relevant software AND teacher training (which is also decades behind) to make it work.

Its all about having FUN and ENJOYMENT.

He expected the Pheu Thai-led government to begin implementing the policy by giving the tablets to 800,000 Prathom-1 students in the 2012 fiscal year.
He said secondary students were likely to get either notebooks and netbooks

So what do students who are not in Prathom-1 or in secondary school get? They seem to have left this category of students out.

Also, when a student transitions into secondary school, will they receive a new netbook? Would the tablet PC be discarded?

New tablet PCs and netbooks or notebooks would have to be handed out every single year as children start school or transition to secondary school. Or will this only be a once-off thing, promised just to win an election?

Edited by hyperdimension

I'm all for computers in the classroom. Text books are VERY expensive and some are out of date when purchased. The trick is to have computers that have no way for the students to input their own virus laded programs. The goal is to have the proper software for teaching. Software could be updated and/or added through a port that will only work for that purpose.

Giving the tablets to P1 first??!! P1 kids need to learn the basics of reading, writing, adding, subtracting and how to behave in a classroom. Tablets would just be a distraction for that age group. It they are really committed to this hare-brained scheme, it would make much more sense to start with M1.

Time to open up a pawn shop to make a killing off all the hocked tablets.ph34r.gif

Giving these things to children is an incredible waste of money. Imagine what that money could do if it was invested in employing more teachers and better schools.

Wrong,.............employing more teachers and better schools is not the answer. You cannot expect a different result by adding more of the same, to the present useless education mess.

Korea, regarded as one of the "model educational countries" is now going to have completely digital schooling by 2015. No text books....its all digital learning. Thailand. if it is to improve the very low level of academic ability of students needs start at the top. Preferably replacing all Education Ministry decision makers for a start.

It is the current teacher training that requires remodling. To teach using new technology. Of course, before that it requires the teachers of new teachers to get into the "real world" Something I think will happen, but oh so ever slow in Thailand.

Incedently, the netbook policy......where have you been??? It was one of the first election policies outlined by PTP and in fact was put forward about 1 year ago from memory.

I worked at a University where the students were given netbooks when they started as freshies, it was a battle getting them to turn them off in classes, not just for the foreign teachers but the Thai teachers too.

Good idea yes, but students need the correct software and no games on the computers, just basics. Having a pool of computers would be a better option, then the students sign for one when they need it and return it at the end of the day, then all the stuff they downloaded during the day would be wiped by a technician.

Mmmmm. Magnetic blackboards more important than a computer?

I'd question that one.

I wouldn't give them internet ability, just educational software .

My son is 5 and already typing without looking at his keyboard. (home keys anyway)

Will these things even have keyboards?

It's intended to be a personal entertainment device for the parents, so it needs to have internet and be able to play games and movies.

A couple of quotes from the recent OECD report on Students Online http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/46/55/48270093.pdf:

p. 4

[T]he most impressive outcome of world class education systems is perhaps that they deliver high quality learning consistently across the entire education system such that every student benefits from excellent learning opportunity. To achieve this, they invest educational resources where they can make the greatest difference, they attract the most talented teachers into the most challenging classrooms, and they establish effective spending choices that prioritise the quality of teachers.

p. 5

[D]evising effective education policies will become ever more difficult as schools need to prepare students to deal with more rapid change than ever before, for jobs that have not yet been created, to use technologies that have not yet been invented and to solve economic and social challenges that we do not yet know will arise. But those school systems that do well today, as well as those that have shown rapid improvement, demonstrate that it can be done. The world is indifferent to tradition and past reputations, unforgiving of frailty and complacency and ignorant of custom or practice. Success will go to those individuals and countries that are swift to adapt, slow to complain and open to change. The task of governments will be to ensure that countries rise to this challenge.

The academics quoted in the Nation report are quite right to warn against a technology handout that has no foundation in well-prepared teachers and adequate curriculum planning. Do Pheua Thai have an implementation plan? Or are we going to see a rollout of tablets and notebooks without school administrators and teachers having much idea of how these things improve teaching and learning? Or will this project go the way of the Thaksin-era 10K baht computers for schools?

Are the tablets/notebooks to be given directly to students to take home or stored at the school? Will schools be required to submit an implementation plan before they receive the devices?

If the rollout is to begin in 2012 that’s not far off. Have schools been surveyed to see if they have the personnel to lead the innovation of new educational technology and media effectively, given Thailand’s cultural and educational context and priorities? As the academics pointed out, is there software that Thai students can use by 2012?

However, Thai authorities do need to start thinking seriously about the incorporation of new media technology into schools. The ASEAN Free Trade Agreement will be implemented in Education in 2015. Non-Thai competitors with a handle on new media and technology in education will have some attractive programs and packages to offer, and Thai education providers will need to have home-grown alternatives if Thai education is not going to fall further behind. The use of portable devices in school education, together with cloud-computing, are expected to be widespread in OECD countries within a year.

Singapore schools already have a number of projects in school-based application of new media devices and applications. Before Pheua Thai start doling out tablets, it would be wise for some of these to be investigated.

Thailand is not ready for Pheua Thai’s proposal, but they could come up with a pre-readiness plan with a more responsible timeline than 2012. Even Korea, which is far ahead of Thailand in awareness and use of new media, is not going to put tablets in the hands of all students until 2015.

Not ready, but it’s right to be talking about these matters. Simply putting it off and giving vague advice about improving the quality of teachers, winning parents’ trust, etc. isn’t going to help at all.

Incidentally, the OECD Pisa study above indicates that students use computers at school for a range of things, including some that would not be seen as “school work”, but “games” is not one of them, except for “simulation games”, which are and will increasingly be used as educational tools.

One of the major problems with Thai education is that the teaching methods and content are decades behind the "real life" the kids live in today.

During my time teaching English in schools where 95% of students had no desire, and no need to learn/use English ever, I quickly realised the need for me to create the learning environment where the kids wanted to learn.

I had classes from P1 to P6 and a total of approxomately 800 students per week, and they had had native English speaking teachers for about 3 years prior to my taking over, with absolutly zero results. When I took over the position I was having the same zero results. It was a total waste of time and money teaching to kids that refused to learn. I realised that the only way i could acieve any results at all (and keep my job) was to change the teaching method to make the students WANT to learn. So......what did the kids enjoy doing............after school they all headed for the net shop and played com games, so it was obvious what I needed to do.

I threw out all the textbooks etc and instead set up my laptop and a large screen LED TV and sound system as my teaching tools. I changed rooms every hour so it had to be easily set up and transportable

I used cartoons and computer games and karaoki vids as my teaching material. I found an immediate 100% turnaround in my students attention and attitude. The worst trouble makers I always targeted for managing the games etc for the students. Result....they felt wanted and became leaders instead of laggards. Of course, ALL the cartoons, games, and songs were in English. Within a year virtually ALL of my students could use very basic English. After 2 years it was possible to have a very basic conversation with most of the students.

The same methods can be used for science and even maths, there is a large range of software available if you are prepared to look. With schools getting Wi Fi it becomes even easier. ( not available when I was teaching)

So to all the knockers of using technology in teaching, need get their heads out of the sand and provide "todays" technology for kids to learn. I can clearly remember when pocket calculators first became available (yes I am that old now) and we were not allowed to use them at school. Nowdays no one would contemplate NOT using them. Sure it takes away the basic mental skill of maths, but show me where that skill is used or required now? If you cant use a computer you cant get a job. Even in basic hand skills manufacturing , technology has taken over, and the skills to use that technology is a basic requirement for employment.

So dont knock it...get behind the push to tech teaching,

BUT, the key is...... it does need the relevant software AND teacher training (which is also decades behind) to make it work.

Its all about having FUN and ENJOYMENT.

Interesting and valuable post, Visions. :jap:

Giving the tablets to P1 first??!! P1 kids need to learn the basics of reading, writing, adding, subtracting and how to behave in a classroom. Tablets would just be a distraction for that age group. It they are really committed to this hare-brained scheme, it would make much more sense to start with M1.

Wrong...... P 1 IS the place to start. The students grow and learn with the technology available. It is already too late to change behavior of M1 students. Hand Writing is the only skill that will suffer from Tech teaching. But tell me....how many hand written letters do you write? You used a computer to add your TV reply. Did you use two finger typing? Or are you a capable trained typist? Like P 1 students should be taught.

You are trying to model student learning from your own era, but its 2011 now. No one adds or subtracts or any other maths in their head. It is all digital. Reading is from digitised books now. Computer based lessons can be much more fun and educational than any teacher can provide with a textbook and chalk board. Thats like going back to the Flintstone days.

Even your car ....if its a reasonably late model is all computerised. The students NEED learn by computerised learning to be able to repair your car when it finaly develops a fault. We live in a rapidly evolving digital world. Put your self in a 5 year olds place......and then where they will be in 50 years. It is absolutely essential that students lean in the current digital world to have any chance to be part of the future.

The article mentions "magnetic Blackboards". This is probably a bad translation. They probably mean interactive or electronic whiteboards, which are now commonly used in schools throughout the developed world:

However, I still stand by my assertion that tablets for P1 students is not the way to introduce technology into the classroom. The average Thai class has 40+ students. Until they train and hire enough teachers to bring the class sizes down to reasonable levels, the tablets would just be a distraction, not an effective learning tool.

If they had 15 or so students per class, the teachers could supervise tablet use effectively, however, given the current situation, interactive whiteboards would be far more useful.

Edited by otherstuff1957

Having a pool of computers would be a better option, then the students sign for one when they need it and return it at the end of the day, then all the stuff they downloaded during the day would be wiped by a technician.

Yes, that would be better, but that pledge wouldn't be a vote winner would it. About the same effect as promising every class gets a new set of crayons.

The article mentions "magnetic Blackboards". This is probably a bad translation. They probably mean interactive or electronic whiteboards, which are now commonly used in schools throughout the developed world:

Nope, I'm fairly sure that they do mean "magnetic blackboards".... anything more advanced than that (unless it had been invented by a Thai) is the white devils work.

Having a pool of computers would be a better option, then the students sign for one when they need it and return it at the end of the day, then all the stuff they downloaded during the day would be wiped by a technician.

Yes, that would be better, but that pledge wouldn't be a vote winner would it. About the same effect as promising every class gets a new set of crayons.

Crayons! You got my votewink.gif

There's a big difference between teachers effectively using technology and computers in the classroom... vs. willy-nilly handling out freebie netbooks and pad devices to students (and particularly young students).

The first can be very effective and improve student learning if done correctly.

The second is just a politically motivated election scam that, if ever fully implemented, will just end up wasting a lot of education funds that could have been much better used.

TV members here above have raised some very good questions beyond the basic ones:

--What's to prevent the students from simply selling or pawning the devices once they receive them? (None that I've heard of).

--What if any requirement will be in place for the students to actually bring the devices with them and/or use them when they arrive for their classes. (None that I've heard PT talking about).

--And even if there would be a requirement for students to bring and have their devices, what's being done to equip and prepare the teachers to teach making good use of those devices.

--Since the devices apparently are being considered a gift that doesn't need to be returned or exchanged, does that mean the PT government is going to be funding new pad/netbook devices each year in perpetuity... since there will be new students coming into the school system every year....

Or maybe they mean, we're going to fund the pad and netbooks giveaways for the next couple years until our party gets disbanded again or otherwise thrown out of power.

That's what they were promising, during the election-campaign.

He said secondary students were likely to get either notebooks and netbooks

But this is surely something totally new & additional, and likely to cost a heck-of-a-lot more ? :o OK he is only an adviser to the party, not a Minister-designate or anything, but I hope that he's not raising expectations which they don't plan to deliver ? <_<

Wrong,.............employing more teachers and better schools is not the answer. You cannot expect a different result by adding more of the same, to the present useless education mess.

Korea, regarded as one of the "model educational countries" is now going to have completely digital schooling by 2015. No text books....its all digital learning. Thailand. if it is to improve the very low level of academic ability of students needs start at the top. Preferably replacing all Education Ministry decision makers for a start.

It is the current teacher training that requires remodling. To teach using new technology. Of course, before that it requires the teachers of new teachers to get into the "real world" Something I think will happen, but oh so ever slow in Thailand.

Incedently, the netbook policy......where have you been??? It was one of the first election policies outlined by PTP and in fact was put forward about 1 year ago from memory.

Thailand ain't Korea

Surely its better to put desktops in the classrooms that students can use - this way it limits the need to buy new ones year on year, can be administered/virus checked/repaired/updated/etc. centrally, software is available to give the teacher's machine control and "pass" teachers screen to all the other computers (for demonstrations) and the other way around (to check on progress of individuals etc) - with a proper small network, work can be saved on a backed up server - Desktops can then have all external media slots/units removed or locked and OS locked down tight. Internet can be switched on and off as required and restricted to certain sites. It also means students can not sell or so easily lose/break their laptops. Desktops like this can be very basic models as they do not need to run powerful software and need very little HDD space (server based software and file System). In the UK my kids had this set up in their school (private) and family children too (Grammar Schools - State).

Add ons such as digital microscopes and turtles can be set up easy as required.

This is purely populist policy - without training staff (teachers/technicians/etc) and working the laptops into the curriculum and teaching methodology, they are going to be of no real use to a student.

//Edit: we also need to think about logistics - P1 kids lugging around tablet PCs - crammed on the back of moped and into songtaews - danger Will Robinson! Danger!

Edited by wolf5370

The merits and problems associated with giving out tablets can be argued about. However, it was a clear, well advertised and well known policy of the recent poll winner. The people expect implementation of it and the incoming government would be insane to go back on it. In the meantime yes, teachers need to be reskilled.

I'm interested in what software these tablets will be operating on? MS windows i'd imagine as it's the only software the teachers will understand or have used in the past. Doesn't a single license cost about 3000 baht. You can get group (school wide) licenses but they I'd imagine they are very expensive, Or will we see government sponsored softeware piracy!! Knock off tablets with knock off windows. And Thailand is trying to get itself removed from the US watchlist isn't it??

Ultimately the government should be responsible for what goes on their as its their project.