Attempted Motorcycle Theft

emubob

Hi all,

Just after a quick bit of help. Have searched around the site but couldn't find anything on this topic. On Friday night someone tried to steal my Yamaha Mio. Fortunately they weren't successful and I think they may have been disturbed (possibly by friends leaving my place at 3.30am after a scoop!).

Anyhow, they have made a mess of the lock and I'm now unable to put my key into the ignition. The safety lock is also on so I can't move my bike. Anyone been through something similar? Any suggestions on how best to fix it and also what sort of price I would be looking at would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Emubob

That's tough luck, but I don't think it will cost too much to fix.

Put it in a truck and have Yamaha Square install a new key/ignition assembly.

I suggest you get a chain and lock for the evenings too.

The local thai chemist here in the stick, put a huge iron chain(every ring is tick as a banana, i have only previously seen this kind of chains used with big boats) on the wheel of his truck connected to another piece of metal shaped as a triangular, always on front of his shop, this is during the day time....:D

From experience I can tell you that the thieves will try to get your bike again. So be prepared, also a simple cable switch on the main power line will prevent them from ever starting the bike. I drilled a few big holes in the garage so I could anchor some heavy-duty rings to the floor.... Also if it is your own house you should buy one of those lights that have a motion detection, they work great...

It seems to be the way thieves work in Thailand. They aren't too bright. They come back to the same spot - particularly if they were successful the first time. I am pretty sure they'll come back for your bike, too. So take preventative measures. Anything that's big and obvious is good, so they don't even try.

And yeah either break your lock yourself with a screwdriver, or put the bike on a truck....

It seems to be the way thieves work in Thailand. They aren't too bright. They come back to the same spot - particularly if they were successful the first time. I am pretty sure they'll come back for your bike, too. So take preventative measures. Anything that's big and obvious is good, so they don't even try.

And yeah either break your lock yourself with a screwdriver, or put the bike on a truck....

They work that way in the USA as well. Had my car window broken and they tried to get out my nice car stereo which had an anti-theft strap on it. I put in a wireless car alarm (My link) and they came back two months later. That time they got pepper-sprayed and they felt the cold stainless steel clamps of justice. Two guys just turned 18 years old. I asked them why they came back and they said "Didn't get it the first time." Both of them served jail time as their get-away car was filled with other evidence.

What kind of advice is this supposed to be??

An answer to the OP's question... :whistling:

cheapest fix. knock a screwdriver into the lock and turn, take it out and use yammy key to ride and on/off. have lock replaced by yammy, or spend the money on a disk lock like xena and a huge chain with padlock, or all three :)

most likely they will come back :annoyed:

aaaahhh silly me....I thought it was some sort of theft prevention hahalaugh.gif

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Getting a mechanic to come round tomorrow and have a look. Will post the results and prices also. Have now put a decent padlock through the brake discs but whether that will work, we'll just have to wait and see. Will write a letter to my landlord also tomorrow with a few possible ideas to stop those dam_n pesky thieves!

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Getting a mechanic to come round tomorrow and have a look. Will post the results and prices also. Have now put a decent padlock through the brake discs but whether that will work, we'll just have to wait and see. Will write a letter to my landlord also tomorrow with a few possible ideas to stop those dam_n pesky thieves!

I have doubts about whether or not you could get a decent padlock in this country. I haven't seen any.

Even with the hardened locks available in other countries, it takes about five seconds to open one. Use a big adjustable (crescent) wrench and any decent tire iron, slip the tire iron in the shank, slip the big crescent wrench onto the lock body and turn the two tools in opposite directions. The side of the locks break out immediately.

Buy an alarm with a free-floating mercury switch in it and install it. If the bike gets moved or tilted in any direction, the alarm will sound. Alarms are cheap these days.

cheapest fix. knock a screwdriver into the lock and turn, take it out and use yammy key to ride and on/off. have lock replaced by yammy, or spend the money on a disk lock like xena and a huge chain with padlock, or all three :)

most likely they will come back :annoyed:

The cheapest fix to take out the lock is to buy a big screw-mount with a ring attached.... it needs to be a bit oversizes... screw it in and attach a chain to a heavy hammer...swing the hammer up and the whole Yamaha lock fly's out.... now in the lock you see a square hole, and with a big screwdriver you can start , unlock..etc... this not works for Honda's...

My advice not to go to Yamaha to quickly get a new ignition lock, otherwise you have the same shit in two or three weeks... Just buy a over-flood of locks and lock the bike to anything and everything...

Time to move somewhere else in Thailand, I have never had problems in 10 years and most of the time m y key is in my bike so I don't lose them :lol:

Buy an alarm with a free-floating mercury switch in it and install it. If the bike gets moved or tilted in any direction, the alarm will sound. Alarms are cheap these days.

What I have done in the past in Indonesia on a bike with drum brakes is buy a cheap magnetic window alarm.

magnetic-door-alarm-962.jpg

What I did ,as i lived in what was basically a motel room, was attach the noise maker inside the room horizontally on the window ledge. I drilled small 1/8 or smaller hole in the window frame. Inside the room I threaded some fishing line through the holes in the magnet and through the hole in the frame. Then I tied a lead fishing weight to the end of the line inside the room and a large fishing hook to the outside end.

When parking the bike I attached the hook to the bike, The lead weight keeps the line tight. Then one can slide the magnet along the line until it lines up with the noise maker and switch on. If the bike is moved or the line disturbed the alarm will sound. Bonus the fishing line is almost invisible at night.

My alarm never went off but I did get good sleep not having to half listen for any disturbance outside the window.

Prior to that in a different location with a different bike I had an on-board alarm and two disc locks. Downside is that the alarm will discharge the battery on a small bike if left unused for a while but the locks did stop two would be thieves from pushing the bike away. I was woken by commotion as they couldn't understand why the bike wouldn't move.

remind me of my past experience of bike theft, you can search the old post for it.

The thieft tried to do the same with my nsr sp with only 5 m away from the security guards.

My solution is :

1. alarm, buy a good one with motion sensor and immobilizer switch (dont buy the microwave sensor, it's annoying)

2. good padlock in the disc (i bought big thick solo brand)

Both are just to delay the thief (there won't be perfect solution unless you remove the wheel)

At least one quality brand of padlocks is available in many parts of Thailand at selected branches of several large Home Improvement stores. This brand sometimes has a booth at the various "Expos" in Bangkok, and the importer / distributor speaks and understand English.

Mul-T-lock is a high end Assa Abloy lock brand that lends itself to many applications in Thailand. I use that brand and harder to find Medeco padlocks in rural Thailand. Assa Abloy padlocks are also a fair value in Thailand, generlaly less money than an Imported Mul-T-Lock. Below is from the mul-t-lock web site:

Welcome To Mul-T-Lock

Mul-T-Lock Ltd. is a worldwide leader in developing, manufacturing and marketing High Security products for institutional, commercial, industrial, residential and automotive applications. Our product range includes mechanical cylinders, locks and padlocks, electromechanical locking systems and automatic assembly and key-cutting machines.

The company is fully owned by ASSA ABLOY, the world’s leading manufacturer and supplier of locking solutions.