Where Can Wife Get......

Eastender

Hi,

My Thai wife has just passed her driving test in Thailand. She'll be coming to the UK in Jan next year and I believe she can drive for a year only on an international driving licence here.

Do you know where can she get her international licence from? Any idea of the price?

Thanks.

Eastender,

There's the DIY way to do this if you enjoy dashing from one office to another and waiting in queues - or, if all that gives you a headache and you don't mind spending a few Baht to avoid it, there's the easy way.

The easy way is to pay an agent to smooth the way and do the running around for your wife while she enjoys some shopping. :D

If you are interested, PM me for details of a very good BKK agent who will explain costs on the 'phone and tell you what is involved. The best time for your wife to apply would be in December before the holidays so that she gets maximum benefit from the 12 month period. As I recall, the agent did it in a day with my wife spending all of 5 minutes queuing for her medical certificate.

A word, in your ear though. My wife took one look at the way we drive in the UK, decided that we were all too crazy and 'busy' and refused to get behind the wheel! :o

This may well be a very good idea.

Even more so in the United States, because of the new "Proof of Legal Presence" laws enacted after 9/11/01.

In many if not most states, you can only get a driver's license if you can prove you have "legal presence". Most states are interpreting this to be a valid visa, and in turn this is being determined by the Form I-94 stapled into your passport by US Immigation.

Unfortunately, for a K1 visa (fiance) this I-94 is only valid for 90 days. So, presuming you are prepared to take the driving test(s) on the first day in, the state might only issue a driving license valid for those 90 days.

Even though the fiance (who will become wife within those 90 days) remains in the country after those 90 days legally, many states will not recognize that status now.

So, if your fiance already has a Thai driving license, by all means go ahead and get her an International driving permit.

(All of this driving business takes on an added dimension when the Thai gal is moving to one of those horrible locations where they drive on the opposite side of the road - believe me..... :o )

kenk3z