Hepatitis B Reminder - I Live In Pattaya

oakweb

I recently was contracted with Hepatitis B, and I live in Pattaya. I just wanted to remind everyone that it's very easy to get the immunization shots and

prevent this disease. 95% of people who contract it are able to generate a life long immune antibody for it. 5% others don't do as well, especially if

you are a drinker or smoker. It can be fatal, or if you are lucky a liver transplant.

I'm lucky and 100% cured, can't give it to anyone and no one can give it to me now. I was pretty shocked to find out how many people I knew had it as well.

Including my wife and my maid, who both had the antibody and had no risk of getting it from me when I was sick. I was sick for about 3 weeks, and then had

to wait a total of 10 weeks to determine if I was 100% cured. Not fun!

So if you live in Pattaya (really anywhere in Asia), get the shots! Keep in mind it's about 100 times easier to catch than HIV and can even be transferred by sweat.

Regarding those who have had immunization shots-

If you have had shots in the past, you should go in and check and see if booster shots are required.

Question - One thing I'm not sure about the immunization shots:

Do some people develop the antibody and no longer need booster shots, and some don't? Maybe someone in the forum knows this question as its asked to me often now.

I hope this helps prevent a few cases

Will being infected with "A" type have the same results in general or must one still be immunized with the "B" type shots?

more about the shots, price, for how long does the immunisation last etc..

Edited by Samuian

OP thanks for posting; yes it is a totally preventable disease through a very effective vaccine and it is a pity to have someone get this disease with all the potential complications it has. Just a correction from the OP's statement; it can not be transmitted through sweat or saliva. Check out the Hepatitis B Foundation's website for risk groups and ways of transmission.

Most people who do get the disease (Hep B) do develop full and lifelong immunity but 5-10% don't and 10% of those become carriers and can spread the disease. About 10% of these can eventually develop liver cancer or a fatal form of the disease called chronic active hepatitis.. Immunisation will induce lifelong immunity in almost all cases with the need for a booster (after the initial 3 shot regime) in a very small number. usually antibody levels are done and a level of 600IU is considered to be protective, irrespective of whether this is through immunisation or as a result of infection. So good idea to have antibody levels checked at a routine health check..

Hep A is a different virus. There is no carrier status in this case so the disease can only be spread by people during the incubation period or till full immunity has developed which can be up to 6 weeks after contracting the disease. Hep A vaccination must be done separately to Hep B as these are different viruses. Vaccination is 100% effective in just about all cases.

I had Hep B about 30 years ago. I think I got i thru sexual contact

It resolved itself but I was sick for a few months.

Once you have had Hep B you should be careful about your drinking habits.

Even thou you may have a full recovery I don't think your liver is ever as good as someone who hasn't had it.

Bear in mind that the vaccine does not work on everyone. It is recommended to verify if you have developed antibodies after the 1st or 2nd innoculation. Although the vaccine manufacturers indicate under 10% derive no benefit, I am of the opinion that it might be as much as 15% or even 20% simply because not enough patients check their antibodies. I am not discouraging the vaccine, because it is important and saves lives, but just as important is the verification that it works. Supposedly, smokers and obese people have the most problems with triggering an immune response. It is important to know if you do not have a functioning immunity because if you ever become infected, there is a specific treatment regime. Time and a proper approach make a big difference. Also, there is no point in jabbing yourself with a product if it doesn't work.

• 1 month later...

Bear in mind that the vaccine does not work on everyone. It is recommended to verify if you have developed antibodies after the 1st or 2nd innoculation. Although the vaccine manufacturers indicate under 10% derive no benefit, I am of the opinion that it might be as much as 15% or even 20% simply because not enough patients check their antibodies. I am not discouraging the vaccine, because it is important and saves lives, but just as important is the verification that it works. Supposedly, smokers and obese people have the most problems with triggering an immune response. It is important to know if you do not have a functioning immunity because if you ever become infected, there is a specific treatment regime. Time and a proper approach make a big difference. Also, there is no point in jabbing yourself with a product if it doesn't work.

I need the course of 3 Hep B shots for work (and for living in Thailand).

Anyone know if this jab is available at Bumengrad hospital in Bangkok ?

I will be staying nearby for the next 5 days and would like start the course of injections ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

Simon