Thai PM-In-Waiting Yingluck Confident She Will Be Cleared

webfact

Any overturn would demonstrate Thailand as a 3rd world banana republic where democratic process is "ok", as long as it produces the results desired by the ruling elite.

PTP being dissolved is a possibility, but that wouldn't result in an overturn, so not sure why you mention it.

If Thaksin's involvement in PTP, as a banned politician, is not investigated and dealt with in accordance with the law, this might also demonstrate Thailand as a 3rd world banana republic where breaking the law is "ok" providing you have won the vote.

The law is about as rock solid and/or legitimate as the current government.

I prefer to look at the bigger picture, regardless of what the law says in this instance (I have a right to think that a particular piece of legislation is stupid).

Regarding Abhisit, throw out this stupid complaint. Only small and narrow minded people will see this as an example of vote buying. The impact of his actions is a big fat ZERO.

Regarding YL's noodles, I'm glad the EC has thrown out the complaint for exactly the same reason above. Incidentally, who was the narrow minded idiot who lodged this complaint?

Regarding T's involvement, I doubt wherever whether this would have made any difference to the eventual outcome. His propaganda machine would have made it very clear, indirectly, that he is the brains behind the party anyway. Any loss of votes on account of low keyed involvement might have been offset by an increase in votes in areas where his involvement was detrimental.

The Dem's bringing this action was to protect their own self interest and not the wider interest of the country, IMO.

Bringing justified legal actions is ALWAYS in the interest of the citizenry. It is THE PROCESS people need to respect, not men, who can be terribly flawed.

+1

+2. In this case, the men involved are terribly flawed indeed. If Thaksin was on planet Mars, he would still be at fault for everything.

I prefer to look at the bigger picture, regardless of what the law says in this instance (I have a right to think that a particular piece of legislation is stupid).

Regarding Abhisit, throw out this stupid complaint. Only small and narrow minded people will see this as an example of vote buying. The impact of his actions is a big fat ZERO.

Regarding YL's noodles, I'm glad the EC has thrown out the complaint for exactly the same reason above. Incidentally, who was the narrow minded idiot who lodged this complaint?

Regarding T's involvement, I doubt wherever whether this would have made any difference to the eventual outcome. His propaganda machine would have made it very clear, indirectly, that he is the brains behind the party anyway. Any loss of votes on account of low keyed involvement might have been offset by an increase in votes in areas where his involvement was detrimental.

The Dem's bringing this action was to protect their own self interest and not the wider interest of the country, IMO.

Bringing justified legal actions is ALWAYS in the interest of the citizenry. It is THE PROCESS people need to respect, not men, who can be terribly flawed.

+1

Er, no it's not, if it is being driven by self preserving politicians out of a long standing rivalry, misusing flawed government mechanisms to undo an election result because it didn't come out in their favor.

However, I agree men can be terribly flawed, and laws are made by flawed men, and it is always to the interest of the citizenry to question laws and governments full of said flawed men (and women). Fair enough. Refer back to the first sentence. Nobody has the moral high ground here.

I could be totally wrong and banned vagabon Thaksin, is the mastermind behind this whole thing from - where is he now, UAE? Logic tells me he's advised/advising, definately has an interest if nothing else, would like to come home w/o having to go to jail. But, responsible for the election win? Something tells me no.

Still think a problem is the Yellows lost, and somebody has to be to blame for that. It's not their fault. Couldn't be they were lazy or knew they were going to lose, thus already planned on a post-election fraud bid to nullify the election results and remain in power. I can't help but remembering how they came to power in the first place - behind tanks and troops in a coup. Taking over Camp Swampy airport. Shooting down reds and military who disagreed or opposed them. Oh yeah, those guys.

Guess we'll see the EC's results and if I end up having to eat my keyboard, I have no problem doing that. See below.

This is Thailand. This is politics. Any of us would soon run out of fingers and toes counting the number of PMs, constitutions, coups and dissolutions of parliment since 1923. I, probably like a lot of people on here (farangs), have no real stake in any of it other than a selfish prayer that, whoever is in play continues a favorable expat retirement/residence policy and that the Baht to any number of usual suspect currencies improves. So we don't have to go to a new foreign country or worse, go back to our own miserable democratic country(s). Hope for the best, pray the worst doesn't happen if Yingluck gets in = Dems get mad and embarrassed, and bust out the tanks and troops and put things "right" again in Thailand. Now that's change you can believe in. Yes they can! Yes....they did! :hit-the-fan:

Edited by 55Jay

The Puppet master should be outed. Everyone knows Yingluck is a Patsy for Thaksin. The EC knoews it the PTP know it the Democrats know it and so do the ordinary people.

His involvement should have been investigated before the campaigning and I'm sure the World bank and interpol on that basis could have got his worldwide assets frozen as they are being used to 'buy' an election and violence.

What a great invention of his to create mayhem on the streets... The 'black shirts' during last years trouble, it will come to light how much extra money he was paying those guys to murder their own people.

It's a shame the toad doesn't do us all a favour and have a heart attack.

If PTP got in without his (thai peoples) money, and influence then fine thats a fair and honest election but to allow an instigator of terror and corruption to call the shots is not what politics in the 21st Century is all about.

Sadly if the EC come to the right decision and call a no election on that basis then he will just pay more Thais to kill other Thai's. He doesn't care about the Thai people they are his Pawns and puppets.

If he came to Thailand he'd never end up in the Bangkok Hilton he'd just be placed under house arrest otherwise again he'd pay people to kill and maim other Thai's.

He should be up for Corporate murder and Terrorism charges not just fraud.

This soap opera they call Thai politics is just his latest game to scam more money.

Apparently you are wrong. Here in Thailand that is exactly what politics in the 21st Century is all about.

I see where the red shirts held a 100 person demonstration.

Doesn't sound like much but they are warning us if they do not get there way they will demonstrate and we all know what there idea of peaceful demonstration is.

Overlooked in this matter is that the PM designate has remained calm and by doing so serves as a proper leader. The 100 protestors were peaceful. This is a good sign. Hopefully, peace and calm prevail. I believe Mme. Yingluck will prevail. The Democrats can try to delay the change, but the people have spoken. The longer this goes on, the more the Democrats will be seen as obstructors of a free vote.

As far as Yingluck remaining calm is concerned, perhaps that is because she is a little better informed than some of her supporters here on Thaivisa who have ben getting themselves whipped up into a right frenzy about the Dems simply asking that laws be followed. She and the PTP knows that even the worst case scenario will still see them holding all the cards.

There is no way that any international group will support the Democrats or a new military junta, so those that want Mr. Thaksin's assets frozen or the gentleman arrested while outside Thailand, are delusional. Not that anyone noticed, but we are sitting on the edge of another world financial crisis. The debt crisis in the EU is worse than ever, Japan is staggering under its debt, the USA is on the brink of insolvency, the middle east is a bomb away from another war and China has growing internal problems. Thailand has to have calm to get through the coming world problems. Whatever happens now, Thailand cannot afford to have civil insurrections or internal fighting.

Don't know where you might have heard calls of late for Thaksin's assets to be frozen or for him to be arrested. All the calls i have been hearing have simply been that he and the PTP be honest about his involvement in Thai politics and for him to respect his ban.

As far as the financial crisis is concerned and the need for Thailand to remain peaceful, i fully expect the red side, now they have power, to:

1) start the big back-peddle from pre-election promise of Thaksin waving his magic wand and everyone becoming happy and rich, and start blaming the world economy.

2) having been the main culprits for the last three years of mayhem and violence that took so much of the last government's time and money away from dealing with important things, to now expect everyone to behave as they wish, and to do what they refused to do when in opposition.

No wonder India is outsourcing it's Nano car to Indonesia, who wants to invest in a banana republic.

Why don't the military just take over for a few years, until these politicians can be educated.

Edited by uptheos