Weirdest Thing I'Ve Ever Seen

Livinginexile

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I come from a country where the majority of people believe that the earth was created a few thousand years ago, heaven and hell are real places, and god made their country the best dam_n country in the world.

I've given up judging anyone! Well, not really....

I can understand the superstitions and cultural differences,

but the Thai infatuation about ghosts is beyond belief, you've only

got to put the TV on, watch a Thai movie and sure enough there'll be a

ghost story. Im sure it's drummed in to them from childhood to believe in ghosts.

Yes, it is intended to cripple their minds, and for many it does.

Actually not weird at all and very common. If blowing on the head it is called pao kamom among others. Blowing on other parts of the body would be called pao piang, om piang, etc. And it is done to blow away the pain or sickness. Originally it was done with a ritual chant but nowadays the chant part is not so common, unless done by monks.

When a little kid falls over and grazes his knee, he/she may run to mum or granny in tears and they will then blow away the pain for the child.

So what's the spitting all about then?

I have also heard about the women that can make men fall in love with them.

Heard it from several people here.

Yeah -- the Burmese guy I talked about before was REALLY scared about this.

He talked to Thai girls .............. but he never looked at them.

He was REALLY scared. He was about forty and married with two sons. Nice guy. Very honest. But scared.

I think you'll find it's a Khmer thing.

Apparently people Buriram, Surin and Si Saket are sometimes thought by other Thais to practice a kind of black magic. I've heard this quite a lot.

I've met Thais who are actually scared of these people.

. . . asked my partner (sth Sa Kaeo) and she agrees with you re Khmer influence, says many people believe the people from Buriram, Surin, Si Saket - and some in Sa Kaeo too, can place curses on people causing bad luck, bad health and death; that they talk to ghosts.

As an added extra, she said that if I were to have a mia noi she could go to one of these provinces to have me and the mistress cursed.

I think this was just a joke . . .

Edited by Atmos

Its similar to not stepping on a crack on the footpath. Baby cannot go out for the first month, head shaving will come next, it goes on and on. The most disgusting is when the adult chews the food to feed to the baby. Just be glad your not directly involved.

Can't quite see how chewing a baby's food (so it doesn't actually die from choking!) is anything at all to do with superstition. :)

They are from Surin.

I think you'll find it's a Khmer thing.

Apparently people Buriram, Surin and Si Saket are sometimes thought by other Thais to practice a kind of black magic. I've heard this quite a lot.

I've met Thais who are actually scared of these people.

Please ,it is not black magic. Simply put their primary belief system is Animism.

Yes, but English-speaking Thai people I've met DO refer to it as black magic.

I've heard that these people can put you into a trance, and apparently some of the women can quite literally make men fall in love with them.

I once met an educated man from Burma who believed exactly these things. He was teacher at one of the top private schools in central BKK.

i'll buy that for a dollar!

I come from a country where the majority of people believe that the earth was created a few thousand years ago, heaven and hell are real places, and god made their country the best dam_n country in the world.

I've given up judging anyone! Well, not really....

:lol: nicely put :)

andrew ,What is your experience of these people?Have you ever been to Isarn ? I lived in Bkk. for about 10 years, before moving to Southern Buriram ,where I have lived for about 12 years. , I never heard any Thai speak in the way you are inferring. I have never met anyone scared of anyone from Isarn.Quite the reverse.Now , you may wish to understand the Amart and the Prai and their respective roles in Thai society May I respectfully suggest ,that this all a figment of your over active imagination?There are thousands of farang living in Isarn .None of us have ever had spells cast upon us. Your claims ,I am sorry ,are totally ludicrous. Yes ,they do believe in ghosts, as do many farang in their own countries. How many haunted houses in England ,Europe etc.. Tarot card players, .Want me to go on?May I suggest , you come and live in Isarn , gain first hand experience, then some people may believe in whatever tripe it is you wish to dispense

andrew ,What is your experience of these people?Have you ever been to Isarn ? I lived in Bkk. for about 10 years, before moving to Southern Buriram ,where I have lived for about 12 years. , I never heard any Thai speak in the way you are inferring. I have never met anyone scared of anyone from Isarn.Quite the reverse.Now , you may wish to understand the Amart and the Prai and their respective roles in Thai society May I respectfully suggest ,that this all a figment of your over active imagination?There are thousands of farang living in Isarn .None of us have ever had spells cast upon us. Your claims ,I am sorry ,are totally ludicrous. Yes ,they do believe in ghosts, as do many farang in their own countries. How many haunted houses in England ,Europe etc.. Tarot card players, .Want me to go on?May I suggest , you come and live in Isarn , gain first hand experience, then some people may believe in whatever tripe it is you wish to dispense

It's not just Andrew who is saying this in this thread, also Travel 2003, and i have also been told this by my girlfriend

who is from Isaan (Korlat).

At first i also thought it was ludicrous, but this myth (if you like) is actually being told by Thais in Isaan and that it's

origins are from Surin and Buriram who have Khymer influence.

Now im not saying i believe everything i hear but this myth is well known amongst Thais especially from Issan.

Haven't seen the blowing thing ---where is the family from? maybe its regional?

They are from Surin.

I'm guessing it's to blow away any evil spirits that are trying to enter the babies mouth, that's why the baby is coughing.

Only a guess mind you. :)

Correct a Thai thing

As an added extra, she said that if I were to have a mia noi she could go to one of these provinces to have me and the mistress cursed.

I think this was just a joke . . .

No joke, even if said in a jokey way. I've heard and known of people doing this kind of thing here and in Laos for the past 42 years. It could be to cast a spell on people, to make someone fall in love with them, to get back an errant husband.. whatever. This is still current practice in Bangkok as well as the provinces.

It doesn't mean that everyone does it. Hopefully, younger and better-educated people have put it behind them, with their parents' and grandparents' generation.

Actually not weird at all and very common. If blowing on the head it is called pao kamom among others. Blowing on other parts of the body would be called pao piang, om piang, etc. And it is done to blow away the pain or sickness. Originally it was done with a ritual chant but nowadays the chant part is not so common, unless done by monks.

When a little kid falls over and grazes his knee, he/she may run to mum or granny in tears and they will then blow away the pain for the child.

Thanks Garry, that makes sense. Sort of like kissing it better.

I like this one better than the black magic option. :blink:

Correct. It's the old old way of make thing better for the kids. When it's done by a Monk, it's usually with a prayer but most of the time blowing to the heads are done by an elder. You would have "God bless you" for sneezing but you don't have one for coughing other than "You alright?" or "Cut it out". There are many many old superstitious believes in Thai culture especially the Northeastern part. I am originally from the Central and still battling them every day with my Mother. My come back to her is usually "It's 2011 now Mom" and this can go on forever.

So don't worry. It's not anywhere close to magic or voo doo things nor anymore backward rubbing your hand over the kids head and messed up their hair. All you have to do is smile and knot you head a few times.

That was a nice, friendly message! Thank you.

I lived here in BKK with my son's mother for about ten and half years. She's from Yasothon, and we often used to go there for holidays. I've also spent time in Mukdahan, Udon Thani, Nong Khai, Korat and Khon Khaen.

I've never been to lower Isaan, but one day I would love to visit Phanom Rung in Buriram and Wat Pra Wihaan (is that right?) in Si Saket.

All I am doing is telling you what I have heard. There REALLY are people in Isaan who believe that the Khmer-speaking people of Buriram, Surin and Si Saket are, well, a bit different.

Why do you take offence when you read this?

Thanks Garry, that makes sense. Sort of like kissing it better.

I like this one better than the black magic option. :blink:

Correct. It's the old old way of make thing better for the kids. When it's done by a Monk, it's usually with a prayer but most of the time blowing to the heads are done by an elder. You would have "God bless you" for sneezing but you don't have one for coughing other than "You alright?" or "Cut it out". There are many many old superstitious believes in Thai culture especially the Northeastern part. I am originally from the Central and still battling them every day with my Mother. My come back to her is usually "It's 2011 now Mom" and this can go on forever.

So don't worry. It's not anywhere close to magic or voo doo things nor anymore backward rubbing your hand over the kids head and messed up their hair. All you have to do is smile and knot you head a few times.

Good clarification, blunotes.

Incidentally, when I first went to Laos in 1969, if you sneezed people might say "Yoo heuan!" ("stay in the house"). I understood this to refer to any spirits that might be sneezed out, but I'm not sure. I suspect the practice was dying even then, as I haven't heard Lao people say it since those days. They would smile or laugh as they said it; it was just a cute thing to say, but I wonder about its origins.

I can understand the superstitions and cultural differences,

but the Thai infatuation about ghosts is beyond belief, you've only

got to put the TV on, watch a Thai movie and sure enough there'll be a

ghost story. Im sure it's drummed in to them from childhood to believe in ghosts.

Yes, it is intended to cripple their minds, and for many it does.

My GF's daughter a few days ago was for the first time frightened to be left alone in the house?

Why? Whats wrong? I'm scared Ghost.

What why? Have Ghost in my school have 4 people die there.

No I say no such thing as Ghosts. Yes have in my School.

Who tell you this? My Teacher.

<deleted>

Because ,andrew you are believing old wives tales ,tittle tattle. What proof have you got that what you believe actually happens?I notice (that to the best of my knowledge) not one of you has googled Animism. Not one of you has any understanding of Animism. It is one of the worlds oldest belief systems. There is zero black magic involved. This nonsense that you are spouting has no basis in fact. There is no witchcraft involved. There are no Seances, They do belief everything has a spirit, yes. Casting spells ? No chance. It is a very passive belief system. You want to believe this nonsense ,up to you. Do you actually believe everything you are told? Or are you inclined to test it ,to discover if what you have "heard" is valid. If other people are stupid enough to believe it ,Should you?

Its similar to not stepping on a crack on the footpath. Baby cannot go out for the first month, head shaving will come next, it goes on and on. The most disgusting is when the adult chews the food to feed to the baby. Just be glad your not directly involved.

Someone was telling me he was in one of the villages visiting and grandad of the family would put his mouth over one of the child's noses if it was blocked and suck the flem into his own mouth then spit it out, nice,

Can't quite see how chewing a baby's food (so it doesn't actually die from choking!) is anything at all to do with superstition. :)

You nonbelievers need explanations. I first thought was it was the way to make instant pureed baby food, or a method to pass adult immunity to the baby. It was explained to me that this method, insured the baby would grow up loving his mother/granny. Never saw the men participate in this practice.

Because ,andrew you are believing old wives tales ,tittle tattle. What proof have you got that what you believe actually happens?I notice (that to the best of my knowledge) not one of you has googled Animism. Not one of you has any understanding of Animism. It is one of the worlds oldest belief systems. There is zero black magic involved. This nonsense that you are spouting has no basis in fact. There is no witchcraft involved. There are no Seances, They do belief everything has a spirit, yes. Casting spells ? No chance. It is a very passive belief system. You want to believe this nonsense ,up to you. Do you actually believe everything you are told? Or are you inclined to test it ,to discover if what you have "heard" is valid. If other people are stupid enough to believe it ,Should you?

I never said I believe that Khmer-speaking Thais in lower Isaan practice a form of black magic.

I merely said that many Thai people DO believe this.

None of this has anything to do with Animism, by the way. Animism is simply a set of beliefs that attribute life-like qualities to non-living entities.

As I have said, many Thai people believe that certain Khmer-speaking women have the ability to make men fall in love with them.

Sure, it's garbage. Some Thai people refer to it as black magic, but it has nothing whatsoever to do with animism.

I would encourage you to google this topic as very clearly it is you who knows little or nothing about these things.

So what's the spitting all about then?

Often the act of blowing sounds like spitting but is not. The practitioners purse their lips and give a quick blast but only air comes out. The length of the blow varies from family to family from being very perfunctory to deliberate and thoughtful.

On the other hand, when being blessed by a monk, often the monk will blow a mouthful of blessed water (holy water) over the sick person and sometimes their family members. This is done after chanting (blessing) and seems to be only common out in the sticks. In Bangkok and environs the monk would dip a small bamboo brush in holy water and flick the water over the sick person and his family members. This latter activity is also done at other religious functions to bless the congregation. Having said that, many years ago I saw old people also orally spraying their grandkids, nephews and nieces with mouthfuls of water. It should be noted that the water was always blessed water brought from the temple. Many families in the sticks will have a bottle of holy water tucked away somewhere in the house for this and other blessing purposes.

The wife will not go downstairs at night, unless I go with her. Come sundown she prefers to be at home behind closed doors. The 10 year boy will not go out of his room to use the toilet at night but rather a piss pot. Truly amazing!!

That's terrible. Can you not sit them down and try to talk sense to them?

There is quite strong belief in black magic in the northeast, and the Khmer variety is the most feared. It is black magic although parts of the rituals may have some animist links (I really don't know). But I think you will find that in most cases, only those who truly believe are affected by curses etc. They are pretty much self fulfilling. That is, the results would have happened whether or not a curse was involved.

As another example, if one of the wife's relatives said they had put a curse on me, I could not care less and nothing would happen. On the other hand, if I said the same thing to a few of the less educated members of her family (claiming I knew voodoo or such), they would be very frightened and this fear could cause them to become ill if they believed the curse enough. Obviously, I know jacksh*t about the subject and yet they may still fall ill. If you study the subject enough, you will find research showing that people actually died because they were cursed and the death was a result of belief rather than any underlying illness (I believe I must die so I give up the will to live, blah, blah, blah.

There is quite strong belief in black magic in the northeast, and the Khmer variety is the most feared. It is black magic although parts of the rituals may have some animist links (I really don't know). But I think you will find that in most cases, only those who truly believe are affected by curses etc. They are pretty much self fulfilling. That is, the results would have happened whether or not a curse was involved.

As another example, if one of the wife's relatives said they had put a curse on me, I could not care less and nothing would happen. On the other hand, if I said the same thing to a few of the less educated members of her family (claiming I knew voodoo or such), they would be very frightened and this fear could cause them to become ill if they believed the curse enough. Obviously, I know jacksh*t about the subject and yet they may still fall ill. If you study the subject enough, you will find research showing that people actually died because they were cursed and the death was a result of belief rather than any underlying illness (I believe I must die so I give up the will to live, blah, blah, blah.

In short what your saying is that it's all BS. I like to think those of us that have yet to turn native already know this.

The wife will not go downstairs at night, unless I go with her. Come sundown she prefers to be at home behind closed doors. The 10 year boy will not go out of his room to use the toilet at night but rather a piss pot. Truly amazing!!

That's terrible. Can you not sit them down and try to talk sense to them?

- welcome to Thailand. Deal with it.

Edited by sbk
flame removed