Was Interested In Mazda 3 But So Disappointed With Quality

I have been interested in the Mazda 3 - the shape and styling a welcome change from the boringly-styled Toyotas. When we looked at one in the mall this weekend I was disappointed with the interior. On opening the door and looking inside, there wasn't a "new car smell" at all, but just a cheap smell of new PVC.

It seemed to me that the seat facings were PVC and not leather. There was no leather smell and the seat surface was very soft indeed, just like it was plastic. I am correct that they are not leather seats? The price was just over 1m.

The interior is just black plastic everywhere. It's not really the car I had expected and consequently not sure what the answer is. The Camry I've had since the new model came out is boring to drive - it's not a driver's car by any means - the brakes are useless but at least the interior is quite classy.

Would be interested to see a high-spec Mazda 3 but then I'm sure the price would be out of its class, so it starts to look like a Camry would be a better option again!

I also assume you looked at a cheaper variant.

We are owning a Mazda 3, 2-litre hatchback with leather interior for 3 year now. After more than 90'000 kilometres - and good maintenance, of course - it looks still just "as new" with no worn-out or bleach-out interior. We have now ordered the new Mazda 3 - and will hopefully upgrade then to the coming Mazda CX-5... rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Thanks for the replies. The car we looked at was a 2.0 litre but I don't know any more details than that. I don't think the rest of the spec. was very high, unless I'm mistaken.

As for leather, I'm not sure it was, because there was just no leather smell in the car, but just PVC. Another notable thing was the severe lack of leg room in the rear. It was almost non-existent.

I really like the styling of the car, but interior I found so disappointing and it's the interior quality that I like. The plastic panels around the foot area were black and scuffed and very hard and cheap plastic, making the car look low quality. In the Camry, they are more concealed and away from being kicked when one enters the car.

Resale values are supposed not to be very good, according to another owner I've spoken with. Weighing things up, it seems to me that the Mazda 3 is a car you buy because you happen to like it, despite its disadvantages.

Edited by smallbear

I think there's many specs.

I wanna know if they're a decent car? Very little chatter on here about them. I think they look great.

Apparently guzzle the fuel, for its size?

The fuel issue here is greatly debated, when if you milleage is Low,your debating nothing realy12 or 13 ,the differance hardly shows.I like the look, and noticed the funny smell.:o

Apparently guzzle the fuel, for its size?

The fuel consumption is very dependent on the driving style. I try to "help" the engine not running more than 2000 rpm in the city and on the countryside. I try to get a smooth drive without sporty acceleration. My fuel consumption is something between 8 and 8.5 litres for 100 kilometres, just below 8 litres on long travels. In Bangkok you have to count 9 to 10 l/100km. My GF was also able to burn 12 l/100km on a fast trip...

The new Mazda 3 has an onboard computer which shows the fuel consumption. The test car in our Mazda shop showed 10 l/100km and the Mazda dealer was driving quite sporty.

The new 5-speed gear of the new Mazda 3 seems to have a lower fuel consumption because the engine runs at lower rpms.

its not 10l/100km.. its km's per liter in thailand.

10 is pretty bad for a 105hp car with absolutely no accel. I test drove 3 mazda's and had a hard time getting to 60kph

A friend of mine had one from new. After two month's the rear suspension collapsed, after getting that sorted the back half of the exhaust fell off. What with the fuel it lasted 6 month's before he sold it. Lost bundle's. I asked him once as a joke if he would ever buy another Mazda. Cant repeat what he said as the peep's at the top would delete my post. On the fuel side we did a run only once I used 1,200 bt in my Fortuner it cost him 2,400+bt ok mine was diesel. But over double I dont think so. Edited by fredob43

I've got 5vyears and over 120k km from my Mazda 3 2.0 with no problems of any kind - and no sense of tackiness in the interior - in fact the reverse. I'm looking to change it now just for the sake of a change. Here in Chiangmai the car's popularity has grown in leaps and bounds during those 5 years. Mazda's are about to, or have, moved to making it in Thailand - mine was made in the Phillipines - which obviously is evidence of demand here.

It's slightly difficult to see what the Mazda 3 has going for it, judging from these posts. My feeling is that with the cheap seats, the acres of plastic in the interior, the poor leg room and the poor fuel consumption, the only advantage is the unconventional styling.

I have got rather fed up with three things here...

1) Car paint choices are all boring silver, black, white.

2) Not many hatchbacks - just old fashioned saloons from the 1970s.

3) Lack of choice because of Japanese dominance in the market.

So when I saw the Mazda 3 become more popular, I was attracted to it. There are some unusual colours, nice styling and it's a hatch back... which the Thais don't get. So I wanted something different to the norm.

I may end up going for it, just simply out of frustration but I will miss the nice interior of the Camry. I also can't bear buying things that Thais buy.

Edited by smallbear

It's slightly difficult to see what the Mazda 3 has going for it, judging from these posts. My feeling is that with the cheap seats, the acres of plastic in the interior, the poor leg room and the poor fuel consumption, the only advantage is the unconventional styling.

So when I saw the Mazda 3 become more popular, I was attracted to it. There are some unusual colours, nice styling and it's a hatch back... which the Thais don't get. So I wanted something different to the norm.

I may end up going for it, just simply out of frustration but I will miss the nice interior of the Camry. I also can't bear buying things that Thais buy.

Add to that the poor resale value. Have a test drive get yourself in normal traffic and you cant see a thing, that's because there so low. More popular I go for day's and never see one. Maybe it's a colour thing, or your into plastic. All I can say is on your head be it. Tip get yourself a petrol station.

Have to say I agree with the majority of board sentiment on this one - the Mazda3 is sold on fashion alone - outside of looks, no matter what criteria you judge it on, it's outclassed every single time.

As for it being an Oz best-seller, that's simply due to lack of competition - Aussies prefer hatchbacks in the C segment, and the Corolla hatch looks horrid, the Civic hatch is too small, and the Cruze isn't available as a hatch, yet. Notwithstanding that hatches outsell sedans in the C-segment, the Cruze is still only a couple of percentage points behind the 3 in Oz, so when the Cruze hatch releases, it would stand to reason it's going to tromp all over the 3..

Add to that the poor resale value. Have a test drive get yourself in normal traffic and you cant see a thing, that's because there so low. More popular I go for day's and never see one. Maybe it's a colour thing, or your into plastic. All I can say is on your head be it. Tip get yourself a petrol station.

Well said Smallbear,The Repetitive Looks drive you Mad.I saw an older Suzki Vitara in 2 Tone Maroon and Silver for sale in a Car Tent alongside those Bulbous Black Slugs called Tunas.It looked refreshing, cheerful and smart without the Brash Spiv look.I m a confessed Anti Flash Truck Person.You notice the Fans of them show signs of bullying and " I Am" in there posts.With a Couple of Notable exceptions i might add.Id get one looks alone, never heard my mates moan about them.Just look at the rear end of the Focus, BUT Ugly by comparisons.You would miss the Camry interior though.Dont get many Trukkies Posting on Saturday, their Down Big C with 50 Thais in the back. buying :spam1:

Well said Smallbear,The Repetitive Looks drive you Mad.I saw an older Suzki Vitara in 2 Tone Maroon and Silver for sale in a Car Tent alongside those Bulbous Black Slugs called Tunas.It looked refreshing, cheerful and smart without the Brash Spiv look.I m a confessed Anti Flash Truck Person.You notice the Fans of them show signs of bullying and " I Am" in there posts.With a Couple of Notable exceptions i might add.Id get one looks alone, never heard my mates moan about them.Just look at the rear end of the Focus, BUT Ugly by comparisons.You would miss the Camry interior though.Dont get many Trukkies Posting on Saturday, their Down Big C with 50 Thais in the back. buying :spam1:

Not me :), just cleaned my beloved 4x4 auto. :D

2.0 lt Ford Focus Sport 5-door Hatch or 4-door Ghia Saloon are over 200k cheaper than the Mazda 3 Hatch or Saloon...

Is it 200k better than the Focus ?

Saying that a Thai friend has just bought one hatchback in Silver grey, she loves it says so much better than the 2007 Toyota 2.0 Atlis she had before + says its the same price.

A post and response to it has been removed due to the below:

3. If possible please proofread your post first, poor grammar and spelling can make the post difficult to understand. However be aware that not every member is a native English speaker and excessive posts regarding others spelling and grammar not only hijacks the topic but is poor netiquette.

Thais make me smile with their comments on looks.Took me ages to work ot Misugop..Thats an early Triton. its looks like a Gop, a Frog to them.The latest is the Focus Ducks Bum, they all seem to love the Fiesta Sport though, theres dozens of red ones round North East. Matches the Shirts.:jap: .

...alongside those Bulbous Black Slugs called Tunas.It looked refreshing, cheerful and smart without the Brash Spiv look.I m a confessed Anti Flash Truck Person

I love your observations khun wandrinstar. "Black slugs" and "Brash Spiv look"... excellent. But you make me scared to venture out on the three-lane highway again.

Eat up yore Porridge Smallbear.,or gobble up some Tunas. Miffs me sometime, if a Rides Looks doest appeal to you why buy it..Resale Values good, so what bu if you cant stand the Look........Doest matter to me if its the Worlds Finest Engineered Car,i wouldnt buy it if it looked Ugly. Porche are finest quality, but look to me as if Daddy Bear sat on them all.:o

... mmm most interesting. So its competiton in TH is the fiesta?

Direct competition is the Ford Focus 5-door.

Indirect competition includes all C-segment sedans, and even things like a Pajero Sport or base model Fortuner (based on price).

Lucky I got a PJS already then. GF needs to upgrade soon though. The Honda City( $?!?!?!) just feels like driving a wet paper bag in comparison. I'd like to upgrade on the safety side ... and now she's making more dosh than me ... the M3 looked appealing ... unfortunately the Ford dealer up here sucks cojunes ...

... mmm most interesting. So its competiton in TH is the fiesta?

Direct competition is the Ford Focus 5-door.

Indirect competition includes all C-segment sedans, and even things like a Pajero Sport or base model Fortuner (based on price).

Lucky I got a PJS already then. GF needs to upgrade soon though. The Honda City( $?!?!?!) just feels like driving a wet paper bag in comparison. I'd like to upgrade on the safety side ... and now she's making more dosh than me ... the M3 looked appealing ... unfortunately the Ford dealer up here sucks cojunes ...

Come on MRO, ones made for Chavs, the other for Blue Rinsers.:D

Smallbear !

I just bought a full-option mazda 3 back in dec. I booked it during the motorshow. The thing about the mazda is this - if you make an opinion by looking at the interiors - you just missed the best part - go and drive it. Mazda puts a lot of signifance on the test drive exp of its prospective clients.

Just like you - when i was hunting for a car - i was stuk on the civic (i already test drove the altis, lancer, civic) for its lovely blue interiors :P. But all my love was taken away by the mazda the day i drove it !

<br />its not 10l/100km.. its km's per liter in thailand.<br /><br />10 is pretty bad for a 105hp car with absolutely no accel.  I test drove 3 mazda's and had a hard time getting to 60kph<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I seriously would want to debate this over a quarter mile drag.... what do you drive :D ?