Traveler'S Check

Suiken

Hi guys for TC if you lose them or they got stolen, does american express really replace them? anyone ever have problem getting them replaced or any problems? I always use them and never had the need to call for lost checks...just wondering how safe/good are they.

I was robbed 15 years ago and it was 2 months after I returned to Canada that I finally got my money. I still use them though. They get a better rate and I get them without any extra fees at my bank. Still better than cash or atm card. Cards can be lost and not replaced without returning to your home country.

I know TC are safer than cash, but i thought the whole point of having them was, if you loss them or they are stolen they can be replaced quickly. Some people go on holiday with all the money they have saved for there two week holiday. If they can't get there TC back for 1 week or 2 months or whatever, holidays wrecked.

Can they not replace them quicker?

I had some stolen a few years ago in Bangkok and it took a few days to get replaced, They can refuse to replace if they determine you where neglient in handling the checks. They asked several questions about where the checks where located, did I have control of the checks at time of thief. They where in my shoulder bag on my shoulder when I was pick pocketed. They excepted that they where under my control as best they could be and they where still stolen.

I have read on the internet about someone leaving them on a bar while they were talking to someone several tables away and they would not refund them when stolen. No longer under the persons control.

Edited by moe666

I had some stolen a few years ago in Bangkok and it took a few days to get replaced, They can refuse to replace if they determine you where neglient in handling the checks. They asked several questions about where the checks where located, did I have control of the checks at time of thief. They where in my shoulder bag on my shoulder when I was pick pocketed. They excepted that they where under my control as best they could be and they where still stolen.

I have read on the internet about someone leaving them on a bar while they were talking to someone several tables away and they would not refund them when stolen. No longer under the persons control.

I use T/C when in Thailand, ATMs are bad news with their charges.

What happens if they are taken from the safe at reception or from your room safe. ( it does happen)

Are they under your control ? Who carries them in bag or pocket everywhere.

aussiep