Retirement Visa, Marriage Visa?

up until now, the last four years, I have had a reirement visa. The first 3, I had the 800k in the bank. Last year, I used my company pension, with a top up in the bank. I have since married. Does this mean, I only need 400k in the bank for my retirement visa, or would it be better to change to a marriage visa.

I wonder if this may be too much for average immigration officer to handle, and refuse me either. :o

You have the option to change to support Thai wife and then would only require 400k in bank account but would have to have wife on each visit and you would not receive extension in one shot.

It is no problem for immigration - I changed from support to retirement this year. But the support is more complex and has to be approved in Bangkok. If you have the money/pension I would recommend the retirement.

You have the option to change to support Thai wife and then would only require 400k in bank account but would have to have wife on each visit and you would not receive extension in one shot. 

It is no problem for immigration - I changed from support to retirement this year.  But the support is more complex and has to be approved in Bangkok.  If you have the money/pension I would recommend the retirement.

Thanks for that, Lop. I'll stick to the retirement. No point in rocking the boat.

Edited by Simbo

It may be better to go the marriage route.

It saves you keeping that top up in the bank!!

It is a little more hassle the first time.

Your wife will be interviewed.

It is a good idea to have photos of the wedding to show.

You will receive a home visit to check you really live together.

After that it is quite straight forward.

Up to you.

What marriage is not convenient??

Edited by astral

Your wife will have to be with you on every extension request and will have to sign paperwork and be interviewed each time. If older both of you feeling up to the trip on the same day may be a concern. :o

As for the money part if you have/use pension paperwork for your Embassy each time you do not need any set amount for retirement in the bank account.

From my experience immigration seems to prefer the retirement type as easier for them to administer.

But agree it is up to the persons involved as to what meets there needs the best.

Lop,

I have just succesfully applied for a retirement visa on the basis I have well in excess of the pension requirement. In practice I will not be able to transfer 65K/mth (but not far off) but am confident from this site that when I come to extend I wil have no problem.

That said, this is lifted from NongKhai immigration website Q&A section

Applying for an extension for foreigner who is a senior citizen and wishes to retire in Thailand

5.2 In case of the income from oversea (sic)such as pensions, security, or social welfare , the pension certification from the embassy of his country and the transferring documentation of monthly deposit at lesast (sic) 65,000 baht must be shown.

I am sure 5.2 is no longer enforced, or maybe it is just Nongkhai's interpetation of regs. But it's as well to know.

In practice I will not be able to transfer 65K/mth (but not far off) but am confident from this site that when I come to extend I wil have no problem.

You don’t have to transfer 65K per month, only your embassy letter has to certify that you earn that much.

Transfer only the amounts you need. 65K is an earning requirement, not a spending requirement.