Legal Way To Stay In Thailand Long Term

I have come across a few law firms on the internet advertising that one can get a One Year Multiple Entry visa to Thailand via them. It seems as if it is a Non Immigrant Business visa and that they supply the letter of invitation and all the supporting documents required. I am 36 and would like to stay in Thailand for a while. But I would like to do this legally. Is it legal to get this One Year Multiple Entry visa via these law firms?

It's hard to say specifically about a specific firm offering this but yes, it could be a legal way to start. But in the longer term, do you actually want to start a business in Thailand? Because I am guessing you don't. So why not start with an ED education visa to study Thai for a few hours a week? That way you could potentially stay for a number of years.

It is questionable, as it is probably meant for exploring business opportunities, which I presume you will not do. So the visa would be gotten under false pretext.

But legal or not, you cannot stay in Thailand long term in that way. You will probably only be able to stay a few years, with having to leave the country every 90 days.

I agree with Mario, but we're getting into a kind of grey area here. Immigration won't know your real intention (assumed to be not starting a business) until later, when you DON'T start a business. Also, exploring doing a new business here is indeed a LEGIT reason, at least for a limited time.

I certainly think the approach being raised by the OP has been done before in a variety of circumstances, and done successfully and through normal official channels... not any kind of back-door or under-the-table deals.

But I also think the general approach of "exploring business opportunities" is usually one of some limited duration... though I can't recall ever hearing anyone here say that they had run into any specific years limit in such a situation. I think that approach usually serves to cover a limited period of years before transitioning to perhaps a retirement extension or an actual B visa for employment or some other provision.

If I were in that situation and in my mid-30s, I guess I'd be asking that question to the law firms/visa consulting firms that I was considering to handle my application, since they'd essentially be serving as a kind of sponsor on your behalf.

Not only what are they willing to do in terms of duration, but what do they think the various Thai Honorary Consulates -- that typically handle such paperwork in the U.S. -- will be saying when the OP comes back for his 3rd or 5th or 10th annual application.

Thanks for the replies. I might want to explore business opportunities in Thailand which is why I thought the One Year Multiple Entry visa would be a good option. Any ideas of how many times this visa can be renewed?

Certainly at least several years....

Though once again, practice on such things can change based on official directions to the Honorary Consulates or other factors...

What's been done in the past isn't any guarantee of what will be available now or for the future...

Again, suggest you ask those questions to the firms you're considering engaging...