Buddhist Prayers

Stan42

There are indeed people who call themselves Buddhists who pray. But, I would say the Buddha never instructed anyone to pray, and may very well have taught that there is nothing and nobody to pray to, and, maybe even that there is nobody praying.

By pray, here I mean to ask for something, be it a good grade on a university exam, an attractive mate, or a peaceful life. I realize though there are other things that people do when they pray. Thanking God, asking God questions, just communicating with God, and, oh, I don't know, what else do people do when praying? (I myself don't believe in a God, nor do I reject the possibility.) Anyway, I don't know if there are people who call themselves Buddhists and do these other things when praying. But for sure, there are "Buddhists" who ask for this and that. Sometimes they get it ... sometimes they don't. I like the old saying, "Be careful what you ask for because you just might get it!"

I got slightyly 'beat up' in another topic for asking the proper way to 'pray' to the Lord Buddha. From what I have discovered, it is true Buddha is not a god, nor is he to be thought of in that manner. However, even some world-famous Buddhists leaders have started out a major Buddhist conference by giving a speech that specifically includes "praying" for one thing or another.

I personnally know Thais, who are very devote Buddhists who routinely ask for blessings for someone or something. Maybe they are not strictly following the Dharmma, but it does seem to be very common.

With Respect,

RickThai

Prayer in Buddhism is practiced in order to purify speech as one of the three doorways: body, speech and mind. Prayers are aspirations regarding enlightenment and the general betterment of oneself and others; they help bring these qualities to mind for the practitioner. Prayer creates positive karma in the speech quality and help focus the mind and turn it to the Dharma. Aspiration prayers also counter accumulated negative karma generated through the three speech downfalls: lying, harsh words, and idle chatter or gossip. Finally, prayer activates faith which is a necessary quality for proceeding on the path to enlightenment and Buddhahood.

Although some Buddhists may pray for something as we understand it in the West, I think the English word "prayer" is often used for affirmations made in Pali.

For example, homage to the Triple Gem is not really a prayer:

I take refuge in the Buddha

I take refuge in the Dhamma

I Take refuge in the Sangha

Many Thais do pray.

They'll pray to Buddha as though a God, and many also pray and give respect to King Number 5.

I've seen adults pray before retiring as a child would.

I believe these things are taught to them from a very young age.

As some suggested, what Buddhists do and what the Buddha actually taught aren't always the same.

Also prayer and chanting can converge.

I do see them praying to statues. Who do these statues represent?

Rockyysdt is right..Buddhists pray in the same manner as Christians with just a slightly different concept of Buddha as deity. The statutes are representations of the Buddha or other masters. In Mahayana and Vajrayana, there are lots of different statutes which are representations of various qualities of the enlightened mind. They are not to be worshipped even though many people fall into that.

They are what are called "supports for practice." They are physical representations of spiritual qualities and are reminders of those qualities. They are in human forms because, well, we are human, so it allows for humans to actually see and relate to those qualities in the human realm (we need to see it, feel it, touch it, etc.) while, at the same time, the forms of the statutes are considered the actual manifestation of those qualities as representations of a higher reality. Thus, they are "supports" because we can see those qualities represented right in front of us which helps keep the mind focused on the enlightened qualities of the Buddha. They provide a focal point for developing devotion, faith, one-pointedness, etc.

Edited by Jawnie

Rockyysdt is right..Buddhists pray in the same manner as Christians with just a slightly different concept of Buddha as deity. The statutes are representations of the Buddha or other masters. In Mahayana and Vajrayana, there are lots of different statutes which are representations of various qualities of the enlightened mind. They are not to be worshipped even though many people fall into that.

They are what are called "supports for practice." They are physical representations of spiritual qualities and are reminders of those qualities. They are in human forms because, well, we are human, so it allows for humans to actually see and relate to those qualities in the human realm (we need to see it, feel it, touch it, etc.) while, at the same time, the forms of the statutes are considered the actual manifestation of those qualities as representations of a higher reality. Thus, they are "supports" because we can see those qualities represented right in front of us which helps keep the mind focused on the enlightened qualities of the Buddha. They provide a focal point for developing devotion, faith, one-pointedness, etc.

Thanks, you've been... enlightening. No pun intended.