'Bagged' American May Have Been Murdered: Phuket Police

webfact

'Bagged' American may have been murdered: Phuket Police

PHUKET: -- Phuket Police have not ruled out foul play in the investigation into the death of an American man whose body was found in his holiday apartment near Karon Beach earlier today.

Chalong Police Duty Officer Attawat Suwannarat told the Phuket Gazette that a maid at the Mountain Seaview Apartment resort found the guest dead in his room just after midday.

He identified the deceased as Joshua Steven Weits, age 39.

“We were notified of the death at about 1pm. We arrived to find him sitting on his sofa. There was a plastic bag over his head,” Lt Attawat said.

Attached to the clear plastic bag was a hose connected to a dive tank, reported one rescue worker.

Police did not allow the body to be moved for more than four hours while officers inspected the scene.

“We believe he died of asphyxiation, but at this stage we do not know whether it was suicide or murder. We are continuing our investigation,” Lt Attawat said.

He added that witnesses have told police that Mr Weits was last seen two days ago.

Mr Weits’ body was taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital at about 5:30 this afternoon, where it will be examined further, he added.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-07-14

Please keep in mind this is about a person found dead. His family and lovedones may be looking for more information and read this thread. So lets stay on topic and show consideration. :jap:

at last some common sense, thank you !!!!!

R.I.P. so young !!!

Sometimes people die by misadventure. Too many deaths are blown into some convoluted conspiracy because the initial reports are inaccurate or written in a manner to encourage speculation. Please be patient and wait for the autopsy and full information. There are many options, and murder is one of them, but not the exclusive explanation.

Edited by geriatrickid

To me, the whole scene is very "strange" to say the least. Still. If the police did as they say(for once) and made a proper forensic study before the place became"contaminated" and the body was moved, there is a chance that the facts will come out. My heart goes out to the family of this young guy. Whatever the reason he died, he was far too young. There sure seems to be a lot of deaths in Phuket these days. Is that because of an increase in the foreign population, or is the place as bad as some say? I would think there are many more foreigners living here in Bangkok, but there is rarely a death reported here.

Having a tube from the bag to a dive tank doesn't sound like suicide or murder to me. What's the oxygen mix in those tanks?

I am speculating that it was probably nitrous oxide. Suicide by NO2 is considered to be the "nicest" way to take yourself out of the game and the tank and bag over head is the method. You get high, you fall asleep, you die. RIP to the victim.

Having a tube from the bag to a dive tank doesn't sound like suicide or murder to me. What's the oxygen mix in those tanks?

I am speculating that it was probably nitrous oxide. Suicide by NO2 is considered to be the "nicest" way to take yourself out of the game and the tank and bag over head is the method. You get high, you fall asleep, you die. RIP to the victim.

I am spectulating that it was probably something that we'll hear pretty soon. Of course if the forensic guys are doing their game.RIP young guy, too young too die.....................:jap:

Edited by sirchai

79% nitrogen 21% 02 and 3% in between both,inert gases depends where and how bottle was filled and if it has been certified lately.

The 3% can be much less.

Off topic comments and those on moderation have been removed. The report is from the Phuket Gazette, and any issues with the headline can be taken up with them or support. Now please discuss the story and don't derail the topic.