Ao Yon, Ao Makham, Cape Panwa Area

LadyinRed

Well if you think dial up is cave dweller your gonna be dissapointed..

GPRS slower than dialup.. Disconnects a lot.. contant recconections.. Highly frustrating.. Not cheap for anything other than mobile net use.

IPStar.. Not only does it drop out when it rains.. It has massive latency (500 - 1000ms) so VoIP. gaming, anything that needs fast server response is impossible (or very very bad depending on your patience)..

I used it for a few years back when there was no broadband in Thailand.. Back then it cost me 15k a month for high bandwidth useage months.. I hear the prices have come down to manageble levels but its still a lot more than ADSL.

If internet is important pick your location appropriately. I am smack bang in Patong and still have dropped connections, DNS servers that stop responding, Proxy servers that just choke.. You have to just get very zen and when it works it works..

Check the tech forum here.. Theres some special deals and packages available..

While I moan about it, its better than dialup and things that dont have latancy issues get by ok.. Watch out for packages that have bandwidth caps or exessive bandwidth charges.. I think I had to pay 100 baht per 100 MB, if you need to shift a few gigs for any reason that really cranks up..

• 1 month later...