Microsoft Patent For Interception Of Skype Calls

Crushdepth

Microsoft has acquired a patent called "Legal Intercept" that allows, amongst other things, silent recording of VOIP calls including Skype calls without your knowledge. Here's part of the relevant patent:

Aspects of the subject matter described herein relate to silently recording communications. In aspects, data associated with a request to establish a communication is modified to cause the communication to be established via a path that includes a recording agent. Modification may include, for example, adding, changing, and/or deleting data within the data. The data as modified is then passed to a protocol entity that uses the data to establish a communication session. Because of the way in which the data has been modified, the protocol entity selects a path that includes the recording agent. The recording agent is then able to silently record the communication.

<snip>

As mentioned previously, traditional techniques for silently recording telephone communication may not work correctly with VoIP and other network-based communication technology. As used hereafter, the term VoIP is used to refer to standard VoIP as well as any other form of packet-based communication that may be used to transmit audio over a wireless and/or wired network. For example, VoIP may include audio messages transmitted via gaming systems, instant messaging protocols that transmit audio, Skype and Skype-like applications, meeting software, video conferencing software, and the like.

Presumably this is to protect their $8 billion investment in Skype. Many governments don't like strong encryption and companies such as RIM have been threatened with shutdowns if they don't provide backdoor access to the encrypted communications on their networks.

This patent shows that Microsoft are at least thinking about the possibility of installing a back door. Which raises interesting questions like, who gets access to the back door. Will Microsoft cooperate with any random human rights abusing government that gives it a "lawful" order, or do they have some kind of "standards"?

For more info listen to this week's Security Now podcast (50 MB, MP3).

Edited by Crushdepth
  • Like 1

No pro by any means, but I always assume (given my location) that my cell phone calls are monitored, or very easily done if desired. Landlines too, and I'm overseas. I only surmise that living in the good old USA, land of the free, that this is the same case, probably moreso!

Often wondered about this though as I'm a Skype user. My company just doesn't use Skype for whatever reason, but heard once it was a corporate security issue during sensititve business teleconfs. They like me to call in on my cell phone, which always gives me a good chuckle. They're paying for it. Whatever makes 'em happy.