Three Went Out, Two Came Back, Two Died...

happyrobert

On the beach next to mine, the two being separated by a tall granite hill and so out of sight from one another, a lot of people showed up for the holidays. As I drove past to my house, the last table at the last restaurant had approximately 30 young peoplemid-teensand many were drinking Spy. Some staggered about. Some were headed into the water: 2-3 meter breakers as far out as 200 meters from shore, heavy winds, strong rips. Bad idea.

I went home and a bit later people came running down the rough road by my house screaming and pointing. I went out and looked out over the cliff to see three of these boys in the water, slowly going under. Drowning people rarely thrash about. It is an almost slow motion, peaceful appearing death.

I also saw one man, in his 40's, with an inner tube, trying to make his way out to two of the three. This lone man is a British guy who frequents the beach, we've said hi, but never really spoken with each other. He was better than halfway out to them. The two kids were 100 plus yards out, close together but separating, and the third one alone 150 yards out and 100 yards away from his friends. The lone one was finished. He would sink, barely the top of his head visible under water, come back up for a second and repeat. Classic signs of impending death. The other two were not far behind in exhaustion. Only the Brit was doing anything. Boats sat idle on the beach. I asked someone I won't identify, to use his jetski, he waved me off and actually smiled.

I ran the 300 yards down to the beach and went in the water to help the British guy. But he'd already reached the two he had headed for and was paralleling the beach to get out of the rip.The third boy had disappeared. Once they are under for more than a few seconds, that's it. The rip pulls the body amazingly fast, average about 5 feet per second, but I've been in these waters daily for 6 months and I have felt twice that. The deceased is usually not seen again until the next day. I went back to shore and walked down the beach to meet the Brit.

For those who would fault me, I'll say now: I grew up on the beach and had a pool in the backyard. Certified as a life guard in my twenties, I know rescue. But that poor kid was lost and I also know that the current was so strong today that I'd never find him. Strong rescuers die in these kind of conditions.

People, how many mistakes did these kids make?

Drinking then swimming.

Swimming in unfamiliar water during heavy surf.

Swimming with their clothes on-jeans and shirts.

Panicking. Not stripping off their clothes and treading water awaiting help. 100's saw them, help was on the way in many forms.

Entering water where there was a natural jetty (notorious for rip current formation).

Ignoring, or not understanding, the red flags we place on the beach when we see signs of a rip forming.

They, from witness statements, had tried to fight the rip and swim to shore.

Many of you already know it, but if you get caught in a rip DO NOT FIGHT ITchances are you'll lose. Lifeguards have died in strong rips while on rescues.

Don't panic, tread water and let it carry you as far as it wants. Unless you are a very good swimmer, don't take the old advice of "swim parallel to the shore" until it has carried you out as far as it wants, it's wasted energy, then swim parallel for a reasonable distance, and turn into shore. In the meantime, try to get someone's attention for help.

The Brit did an excellent job. His physique bears no resemblance to David Hasselhoff's to say the least, yet when no Thai would grab a tube and swim out, he did. Sadly, one of the two he rescued died at the hospital.

I was on Koh Chang once with a few friends. At about 10PM two guy who were totally wasted (beers still in hand) dropped all their stuff on the beach and ran into the water; pitch black. We were also sits on the beach drinking. After 5 or 10 minutes we could no longer see or hear them and started to worry as they'd left all their stuff (wallet, cellphone etc..) on the beach; not the kind of thing you do if you're planning on swimming for more than a couple of minutes.

We walked up and down the shore looking for them; couldn't see anyone so we went into the resort and informed the staff, about 4 or 5 came out with a few huge flash lights and everyone was searching and calling out for the missing guys. 20 minutes or so later still nothing and we're starting to think they could actually be dead.

Finally about 30 or more minutes after they went in they appear out of the water, and someone said "we've been search for you for half an hour"...response "what'd you do that for".

Moral of the story, next time i think a drunk might be drowning he can go f*** himself.

Thanks for posting this well written, but very sad story.

Excuse my ignorance if it has already been mentioned, but could you tell me where this beach is located?

RIP to the poor kids who drowned.

You did the right thing not going in, you may have just been another statistic. Though it is reprehensible those with jetskis didn't bother. I can't believe people still go swimming after drinking, just a recipe for disaster.

Thanks for the OP. I learned some things from it.

I wonder if Thai people tend to stand back and wait for someone in authority because if they botch anything or could be accused of it by the police then they're in big trouble. I don't think they want to get involved in any way with the police. I've heard of cases where Thai people have done the right thing and it's been turned against them.

Thanks for posting this well written, but very sad story.

Excuse my ignorance if it has already been mentioned, but could you tell me where this beach is located?

RIP to the poor kids who drowned.

On the coast of Trad there is a series of small beaches curving around the west coast that look out at the Gulf and over at Koh Chang.

Most are accessible only on foot. A few, like the one next to mine, have some restaurants and a few bungalows.

The boy washed up on my beach this morning at 9:30. A surprise as the tide was strong yesterday and last night and my beach is on the straight that runs between Koh Chang and the mainland, so I would have thought the heavy currents would have taken away.

It's my understanding that the last of the 3 died last night. I am not sure how well docs here handle saltwater near-drownings. The osmosis between the salt laden lungs and the other fluids outside the lungs can drown a victim hours later, even though they appear to have recovered.

Yup, sad as very preventable. Every year, same beach, 1 or 2 die. The store owner that sold the Spy to the kids is doing it again today. No responsibility at all.

But in all fairness, the same thing happens every year in the States. But a store owner there that sold alcohol to a 15 year old that resulted in one death, let alone three, would be spending a few years in prison.

Thanks for the OP. I learned some things from it.

I wonder if Thai people tend to stand back and wait for someone in authority because if they botch anything or could be accused of it by the police then they're in big trouble. I don't think they want to get involved in any way with the police. I've heard of cases where Thai people have done the right thing and it's been turned against them.

I don't know. Maybe. That's typically my practice, but I'm an ATM.

But what I did notice that only, what appeared to be two family members, were crying. Hundred plus people and dozens of friends and not one tear shed. Like it never happened. I don't want to jump to conclusions, sometimes the tears come later, but I have have seen this many times here, car accidents and all, and they don't seem to place the same value on life. But there may be valid reasons for that.

I worked a lot of emergencies and rescues in my job over the years in the States; even bystanders who are total strangers to the victim will get emotional in public and cry. Especially for kids.

Oh, yes, and in all fairness to Bulgaria, turns out the guy that performed the rescue was a Bulgarian, not a Brit. His name is George, and no one thanked him.

Crazy.. but ok they did have other things on their mind at that time. But he was the only one who did anything. Smart how he did it.

There should be more like that.

Strange that the jet ski guy did not help. Were the waves so bad ?

Sad post. I was surprised at the deaths after medical treatment was available and found the following of interest.

SALT WATER DROWNING/NEAR DROWNING

a. The effect on the casualty is different when the incident occurs in salt water.

Salt water entering the lungs has a higher solute concentration than the plasma in the

bloodstream. This causes fluid to be drawn out of the bloodstream into the lungs,

causing a massive pulmonary edema (congestion of the lungs). The concentration of

salt in the sea water has drawn the normal body water into the lungs.

b. If enough fluid has been drawn out of the patient's bloodstream, the person

may go into shock and drown in his own interstitial fluid (fluid bathing the cells)

Sad post. I was surprised at the deaths after medical treatment was available and found the following of interest.

a. The effect on the casualty is different when the incident occurs in salt water.

Salt water entering the lungs has a higher solute concentration than the plasma in the

bloodstream. This causes fluid to be drawn out of the bloodstream into the lungs,

causing a massive pulmonary edema (congestion of the lungs). The concentration of

may go into shock and drown in his own interstitial fluid (fluid bathing the cells)

Very true I live on the Coast . over the years there have been incidents of people drowing. Some have acctualy been saved and then died the next day because they did not recive hospital treatment, becuase they refused it. they drowned in there own fluids in the Lungs.

The store owner that sold the Spy to the kids is doing it again today. No responsibility at all.
Sad news but is the guy who sold a big bike responsible for the dumb driver who crash in a wall ( drunk and with(out) helmet ) and die ? The best the bar owner can do is add a banner " Don't drink and swim" on the wall of his bar; but who will care if a red flag cannot alarm the few brain cells of some teens.?

And I forgot to add that the people to blame are those who let the teens go out and drink without proper care. These people should be put in jail.

Edited by Nawak

Oh, yes, and in all fairness to Bulgaria, turns out the guy that performed the rescue was a Bulgarian, not a Brit. His name is George, and no one thanked him.

Crazy.. but ok they did have other things on their mind at that time. But he was the only one who did anything. Smart how he did it.

No, and I am quite competent on a jet ski.

Jet skis are expensive.

I did not want the original posting to be about him, so I left out that he tossed in a "mai pen rai" with the waving me off and a smile.

I'm sure you can draw your own conclusions from there.

As Thongkorn said, it can be treated by competent medical personnel. There were times parents at the beach in California refused to take the child to the hospital, saying they were fine. We would have the child taken into the custody of CPS to get treatment. It is imperative.

Edited by happyrobert

The store owner that sold the Spy to the kids is doing it again today. No responsibility at all.
Sad news but is the guy who sold a big bike responsible for the dumb driver who crash in a wall ( drunk and with(out) helmet ) and die ? The best the bar owner can do is add a banner " Don't drink and swim" on the wall of his bar; but who will care if a red flag cannot alarm the few brain cells of some teens.?

And I forgot to add that the people to blame are those who let the teens go out and drink without proper care. These people should be put in jail.

Apples and oranges.

The legal age for drinking in Thailand, last I heard, was 19. Selling Spy after Spy to 13, 14, 15 and 16 year olds, I would like to assume (but not a good idea in LOS) is illegal.

Anybody know the law re this?

(If it is not illegal, it is morally outrageous and points a strong finger in the direction my thoughts were headed when I mentioned a lesser value placed on life here.)

You're right about the age limit for drinking.

But why these teens were left on their own drinking Spy in a beach bar ?

Read the last line of my previous post:

let the teens go out and drink without proper care.

The owner of the bar is not to blame, so many weird farang come here for holidays. Or do you want thai bar owner be in charge to educate the westerners about the dangers of drinking - swimming,driving dangers in Thailand ?

Blame the parents and that's all.

Edited by Nawak

You're right about the age limit for drinking.

But why these teens were left on their own drinking Spy in a beach bar ?

Read the last line of my previous post:

let the teens go out and drink without proper care.

The owner of the bar is not to blame, so many weird farang come here for holidays. Or do you want thai bar owner be in charge to educate the westerners about the dangers of drinking - swimming,driving dangers in Thailand ?

Blame the parents and that's all.

There are no beach bars. There is not a bar within 30 klicks. These are small shops on one side of the road, and tables in the sand on the other. They sell soft drinks, cigs and alcohol. Two also have a small kitchen where they cook meals--limited selection.

These were Thai kids. None of them were weird, just normal kids except many were drinking. There are no farang here except myself, a Norwegian, a Brit and the Bulgarian (who for some strange reason sounds like Hugh Grant).

Well underage kid walks in the shop, reaches in the cooler, and buys a Spy from the owner, or someone in the owner's family. Owner is responsible. So are the parents-- but parents can't be everywhere with their kids all the time -- especially where they are allowed to ride motorbikes from the age of 3.

So, perhaps, are the teachers at the school that sits not far from the beach where kids die every year. And maybe the government for lack of warning signs.

But me, I hold the store owner greatly responsible. Today he was all smiles. Not a worry in the world.

I won't even comment on my neighbor who owns the jet ski.

Edited by happyrobert

This reminds me of a similar story I was reading back in July of last year (2010), where a 43 year-old Thai man swimming in the sea off Koh Chang island at White Sand beach in Trat province got caught by the current and started drowning. However, in this case, the story didn't end so well for the rescuer.

A lone 50 year old Dutchman, Adrian Brine, swam out to try and rescue him, but ended up getting into difficulties himself and they both ended up dying.

The district officer of Koh Chang afterwards warned that every year between June and September there was bad weather in the region which whipped up strong currents. He continued, if caught in the tide you should not try to swim against it but with it. Also stay out of the water if the waves were too big.

Maybe put up some warning signs on the beach would be a good idea too...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:iuNsTByAcUAJ:www.thairath.co.th/content/region/99146

Edited by katana

No, and I am quite competent on a jet ski.

Jet skis are expensive.

I did not want the original posting to be about him, so I left out that he tossed in a "mai pen rai" with the waving me off and a smile.

I'm sure you can draw your own conclusions from there.

I'm not making judgements, but if you really believe in a faith in which one is reincarnated, yes, everything probably is Mai Pen Rai.

In Saudi, it was all the will of God.

If you think that guy was being fatalistic, you should check out the electrical wiring in my wife's house. EVERYTHING comes off one piddly little wire, in a wooden house. Now that's really being fatalistic!

This reminds me of a similar story I was reading back in July of last year (2010), where a 43 year-old Thai man swimming in the sea off Koh Chang island at White Sand beach in Trat province got caught by the current and started drowning. However, in this case, the story didn't end so well for the rescuer.

A lone 50 year old Dutchman, Adrian Brine, swam out to try and rescue him, but ended up getting into difficulties himself and they both ended up dying.

The district officer of Koh Chang afterwards warned that every year between June and September there was bad weather in the region which whipped up strong currents. He continued, if caught in the tide you should not try to swim against it but with it. Also stay out of the water if the waves were too big.

Maybe put up some warning signs on the beach would be a good idea too...

http://webcache.goog...nt/region/99146

In a country where 5 year old kids drive a bike with 4 of their friends on too, I doubt signs are going to make a difference.

At the end of the day, most of us like living in a country without the rules and regulation of our own. If there were consequences for the alcohol seller, for instance, it just wouldn't be the LOS that we love, and might as well live back home. Nothing is without consequences.

You did the right thing not going in, you may have just been another statistic. Though it is reprehensible those with jetskis didn't bother. I can't believe people still go swimming after drinking, just a recipe for disaster.

Agree with Wallaby.

The news is full of stories of would-be rescuers drowning as well. Unless you are a strong swimmer and have had some rescue training, then in situations like this, as cruel as it sounds. it might be best not to attempt a rescue. The Bulgarian guy had it right by going with an inner tube. And you would have been OK to use the jetski (why wouldn't that guy let you use it?)

I don't know your training nor physical fitness, but swimming out that far and with that kind of water would most likely have put you in severe danger as well.

Agree and a big accolade for you, OP, and the Bulgarian.

Back in 1989 I checked in to some beach huts not far from the ferry terminal on Koh Samui. While the elderly couple who ran the huts were friendly, they kept glancing at me, looking worried. I had zero Thai at that time and they began asking me the same question over and over.

After a while I realised they were asking if I was German. I said no, British, at which they seemed totally relieved and relaxed.

The next morning a Really Nice Australian girl checked in, with really good Thai language.

I asked her to find out why the concern that I may be German.

I'll never forget her mixture of sadness and amusement when she got the answer. Two days previously a minibus had rolled up there from Bangkok, full of inebriated Germans. Three fell out of the bus and immediately raced into the sea, striking out strongly for the horizon. None of them had been seen since. The old couple must have thought that this lunacy was somehow restricted to Germans!

Many thanks, all, for the good advice on this thread. Just one silly (British) question, is a 'rip tide' what we call 'under-tow', the strong current under the surface that pulls people, dead or alive, away from the shore?

Agree with Wallaby.

The news is full of stories of would-be rescuers drowning as well. Unless you are a strong swimmer and have had some rescue training, then in situations like this, as cruel as it sounds. it might be best not to attempt a rescue. The Bulgarian guy had it right by going with an inner tube. And you would have been OK to use the jetski (why wouldn't that guy let you use it?)

I don't know your training nor physical fitness, but swimming out that far and with that kind of water would most likely have put you in severe danger as well.

I'm in my 50's but still in good shape, although my endurance is not what it used to be, of course. I started as an ambulance driver in '75. Few years later I was an EMT ll. In college I was certified as a lifeguard. Then a LEO until a few years ago. One of my dogs was a working dog. Cross-trained in both rescue and cadaver work, a rare thing. She's here with me, also retired. She gave up a leg in a rescue. Fine dog.

I say this because, over the years, I've been involved in a lot of rescues, and I've watched lots of people die who simply could not be saved, either because it was downright impossible, or so dangerous to the rescuers that we had to pull back. But that one kid, the one further out by himself, still, three days later appears in my mind's eye throughout the day, slipping gently under the swells for the last time as I watched. It has bothered me because I didn't know why I was experiencing these ongoing recollections. I was not cold-hearted in my career, just the opposite, but I always moved on daily even when it had been a small child.

Perhaps a bit of morbid nostalgia, but I'm thinking it was the crowd this time that has been causing this. Here it was a surreal scene in comparison to decades of experiences where:

a.) many people from the crowd are trying to help in the rescue prior to our arrival, often so vigorously that, once on scene, we had to take them into custody long enough to do our jobs, and

b.)most onlookers in the States appear affected, in one way or another, by what they are witnessing. People pacing back and forth, trying to figure out what to do. Strangers weeping at what they are witnessing. Anger, frustration, denial, fear… dam_n, something, anything!

Very different here. Both were absent at this scene.

I learned later that the kids had been in the water, struggling to swim straight back into shore, for maybe 30 minutes. The first half of that they were screaming for help. That's a long time to watch three friends panicking, begging for help and just stand there, waiting for the police to show up.

And the people watching— they had expressions and bearing no different than if they had been watching a TV show. During and after.

You're not in Kansas anymore, happyrobert.

But, no, Bonobo, I would never have entered that water, without devices—fins, floats, vests— for that third kid. His position was far too dangerous, and by the time I saw him, he was finished. Only a jet ski or boat rescue would have been appropriate, then only for the body.

The Bulgarian himself was not fairing so well when he got back to shore. I also found out later that he had not known about the third kid, couldn't see him from the beach because of the heavy, foaming surf and a rock jetty. I could see him because I was on a cliff. That's why some little kids were screaming outside my house. They were calling for my help. They saw the Bulgarian going out to the other two and knew no one on the beach could see the third kid.

The Bulgarian told someone the next day if he had seen that kid, he would have tried for all three. That almost certainly would have resulted in four dead.

And—if I understand you—I somewhat agree with you Thaibeachlovers. Over the years I became more and more cynical, amazed at the human stupidity that required myself, and good friends, to put our lives in danger. People taking increasingly foolish risks for the thrills, for sport.

Putting myself in peril to rescue a 4 year in a collapsed building, no problem. But the endlessly increasing antics over the years of potential Darwin Award nominees wore me down.

Sorry about the long posts. I feel better now. Calm day. I'm going swimming.

Back in 1989 I checked in to some beach huts not far from the ferry terminal on Koh Samui. While the elderly couple who ran the huts were friendly, they kept glancing at me, looking worried. I had zero Thai at that time and they began asking me the same question over and over.

After a while I realised they were asking if I was German. I said no, British, at which they seemed totally relieved and relaxed.

The next morning a Really Nice Australian girl checked in, with really good Thai language.

I'll never forget her mixture of sadness and amusement when she got the answer. Two days previously a minibus had rolled up there from Bangkok, full of inebriated Germans. Three fell out of the bus and immediately raced into the sea, striking out strongly for the horizon. None of them had been seen since. The old couple must have thought that this lunacy was somehow restricted to Germans!

Many thanks, all, for the good advice on this thread. Just one silly (British) question, is a 'rip tide' what we call 'under-tow', the strong current under the surface that pulls people, dead or alive, away from the shore?

Rip tide is a misnomer, it's not tidal anymore than a tsunami. A rip current, basically, is water trying to level itself out. Higher at the beach than off shore for various reasons. It will pull you out, not down. Undertows are different and can exist concurrently, or not. Not easy for a healthy adult to die in an undertow only.

Rip currents kill far more.

Rips rarely extend more than a hundred meters off shore, rarely more, usually less, and can be very narrow, or quite wide. They can also change from day to day, on the same beach. So just because there was not one on Tuesday, does not mean there can't be one in the same spot on Wednesday.

Biggest rule is no panic. Rips will not pull you under. Tread, or even float until you know the rip has finished, then slowly make your way around to another point on the beach.

There's a ton of info on the net, including predictors of rip currents. How to see where they are forming, and where they usually do form. I'd suggest everyone read up on it who swims in Thailand.

Lastly, fins are of enormous benefit, especially if you are used to them. If you aren't practiced with them, you can suffer cramps. That's almost always a death sentence. So buy a pair and use them often!

EDIT: Some beaches are notorious for rips. Some never have them. Ask the locals.

Edited by happyrobert

In a country where 5 year old kids drive a bike with 4 of their friends on too, I doubt signs are going to make a difference.

At the end of the day, most of us like living in a country without the rules and regulation of our own. If there were consequences for the alcohol seller, for instance, it just wouldn't be the LOS that we love, and might as well live back home. Nothing is without consequences.

Signs are a start and at least Westerners might pay more attention to them, I know I would. If you wouldn't, good luck to you in your swim!

Rip tide is a misnomer, it's not tidal anymore than a tsunami. A rip current, basically, is water trying to level itself out. Higher at the beach than off shore for various reasons. It will pull you out, not down. Undertows are different and can exist concurrently, or not. Not easy for a healthy adult to die in an undertow only.

Rip currents kill far more.

Rips rarely extend more than a hundred meters off shore, rarely more, usually less, and can be very narrow, or quite wide. They can also change from day to day, on the same beach. So just because there was not one on Tuesday, does not mean there can't be one in the same spot on Wednesday.

Biggest rule is no panic. Rips will not pull you under. Tread, or even float until you know the rip has finished, then slowly make your way around to another point on the beach.

There's a ton of info on the net, including predictors of rip currents. How to see where they are forming, and where they usually do form. I'd suggest everyone read up on it who swims in Thailand.

Lastly, fins are of enormous benefit, especially if you are used to them. If you aren't practiced with them, you can suffer cramps. That's almost always a death sentence. So buy a pair and use them often!

EDIT: Some beaches are notorious for rips. Some never have them. Ask the locals.

I think there should be a Beach Safety forum with Happyrobert as Admin/Mod/primary contributor.

And let's find a way to honor his awesome dog too. thumbsup.gif