Price Of Household Water Set To Rise In Thailand

webfact

UTILITIES

Price of water set to rise

By Thanapat Kitjakosol

The Nation

30160366-01.jpg

East Water says increase to Bt10 per unit can no longer be put off

Despite huge investments, East Water will still have to increase the fees for water supplied to households and industrial clients next year to Bt10 per unit from the current rate of Bt9.25.

Speaking at the Singapore International Water Week, held from July 5 to 7, East Water CEO Praphan Assawaaree said provinces in the East of Thailand would need as much as 400 million cubic metres by 2017, compared to 240 million units last year.

He said the hike had been delayed to next February, even though the fee was meant to be increased to Bt10 last year and Bt10.75 this year. "The increases [at the rates specified] are necessary, because East Water is already shouldering Bt100 million in interest costs alone," he added.

Existing East Water clients will pay Bt9.25 per unit until next February, though all new clients will be charged at the new rate of Bt10. The increases were initially scheduled to rise to 10.75 per unit in 2012 and Bt11.55 by 2013, he added.

East Water charges household and industrial clients different rates. No details were available to check if the Bt9.25 per unit rate is higher or lower than the fees charged by the Metropolitan and Provincial Waterworks Authorities.East Water estimates that up to 275 million units would be consumed this year, compared to 240 million units used last year. There was a severe shortage of water in 2005, when 180 million units were used by industrial estates alone.

He said East Water was trying to keep the loss of water at 3 per cent, which already costs the company a total of Bt90 million. "But this is a technical problem faced by other agencies, some of which lose up to 30 per cent of water piped out," he explained.

Citing the desalination technique, which Singapore is seeking so it can produce fresh water on its own instead of relying on Malaysia, Praphan said Thailand would not need it because it had its own supply of fresh water. He said desalination could be used in islands like Phuket or Samui, which generated enough income from tourism to afford it.

Instead, Praphan said, the government should work out concrete policies and invest more in water supply and floodmanagement at the national level. He said the inconsistency and lack of interest in both issues confused the business sector and affected their strategies.

For instance, he said, the lack of regulations and proper expansion plans meant that Pattaya would suffer water shortage and flooding in the long run.

Singapore, meanwhile, is planning to stop purchasing water from Malaysia by 2060 and has started building a network of desalination plants.

East Water's own water grid is 340 kilometres in size, and it is building and pumping water from four major reservoirs as well as the Bang Pakong and Rayong rivers. It delivered 671,000 units daily to its clients last year.

The Singapore International Water Week 2011 attracted 510 companies from 39 countries. Praphan said East Water's role at this year's event offered it a good opportunity to strengthen investors' confidence in Thailand and open the door to better industrial prospects.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-16

Could flood channels, so to speak, send water in to lakes/ reseviors built next to rivers in flood prone areas, there by elliviating the impact of flooding while storing water for times of drought? I've only ever seen a rain catching type of reseviors before.

The 1 or 200billion bht ptp will blow on the rice subsidy in one year could b much better spent on building reseviors and irrigation canals to increase productivity for not just the short term but long term sustainable prosperity of the eastern region and indeed nation as a whole. Shameful waste.

Edited by mccw

Could flood channels, so to speak, send water in to lakes/ reseviors built next to rivers in flood prone areas, there by elliviating the impact of flooding while storing water for times of drought? I've only ever seen a rain catching type of reseviors before.

The 1 or 200billion bht ptp will blow on the rice subsidy in one year could b much better spent on building reseviors and irrigation canals to increase productivity for not just the short term but long term sustainable prosperity of the eastern region and indeed nation as a whole. Shameful waste.

Yes, you are right, but that would make sense and be a good plan.

Did you forget where you are?

For instance, he said, the lack of regulations and proper expansion plans meant that Pattaya would suffer water shortage and flooding in the long run.

The land of shortages. Wait and see, that's just the beginning......................... :jap:

Edited by sirchai

Yes, you are right, but that would make sense and be a good plan.

Did you forget where you are?

It's sad, but you are right. And yes, common sense isn't commonly used when making decisions. Personal benefit is.

Big % of Thailand are still using household wells, most of which have mains water piped to the home via the local municipality. If the trend is another increase many more will dig a well and pump their own water and again bypass the system. 15 rings deep=average= @ 100 bht per ring+100 bht a ring depth for digging out. Pump and pipes 6000 bht tops =hey presto no meter!! Stuff your water, the Thais say.

I have both here at my home, it's a good job I have pumped water as the local tambon supplier is bad on servicing the village tanks and electrics, and often without warning the water is cut off, another problem is local people do not bury their pipes(lazy) and run over them and burst the supply. In Thailand usually you find if you can do it yourself -then do it.

Which condo is that??

I live in Pattaya but have no idea who supplies the water as the condo bills me directly. I was paying 8 Baht/m3 when I moved here in 2004 and I am still paying 8 Baht/m3. f_shhh.gif

I live in Pattaya but have no idea who supplies the water as the condo bills me directly. I was paying 8 Baht/m3 when I moved here in 2004 and I am still paying 8 Baht/m3. f_shhh.gif

I promise not to tell if you don't tell anybody that I am only paying 2 Baht/m3 out in the sticks in central Thailand and the bill collector comes to the house.

In the last 2 months (he forgot to come last month) I used 69 m3 and it cost 138 baht.

Sorry.

Our house in Surin is supplied with totally potable water from our own well, no bills there and an abundant supply of water for all purposes.

exbelg

I don't quite understand, water in thailand is not drinking water, only good to flush the toilet, right ? for my 2 cents, they pump ocean water into the system...

That's an inane and indeed a rather sweeping statement. You will find that in the majority of cases the water here is totally potable.

In twenty years of living here and drinking the water in Bangkok and Surin I've had no problems at all nor have my family.

I don't quite understand, water in thailand is not drinking water, only good to flush the toilet, right ? for my 2 cents, they pump ocean water into the system...

Just depends where you choose to live, if it's Jomptien/Pattaya/Bkk bottle,for safeISH drinking. Depending on the bottling standards. In the north people filter--but boil it and then fridge it, arguments anyw ay from the posters who know all about chemicals and Katoys

Edited by ginjag

BKK water can be potable, but not for long. The filter at my wife's office went bad last year.

We both got kidney problems after a week. The water is way to hard.

When our house gets built, we will get 2x 1000L tanks. One tank to catch rain water off the roof. This will go through as large 5 phase filter into the other tank. There will be a shut off valve if the catch tank gets too low, then it will be filled with city water.

Water Water...being an engineer and seeing gallons of water come from my Air Conditioner condensation unit spilling down the drain pipes, I inserted a "T" fitting to regulate the flow over the balcony or direct the "condensed water"into a 5 gal water bottle..this is the product of the Airconditoner...pure distilled water...(dead water) no minerals..which is good..first boil it then keeping it in refrigerator..this water is "gold and pure as silk to drink" my 7-11 girl comes over and drinks this water and can not believe it is smooth as silk, ...health wise this is good water as it removes from your body all the toxins from kidneys a water you can drink in limited amount. FYI I have yet to but bottled water as I get about 3 litres per night during the season Feb till April...just think of the thousands of gallons of water going down your drain pipes!!! Case closed, just think outside the box..Rotor Ron

Water Water...being an engineer and seeing gallons of water come from my Air Conditioner condensation unit spilling down the drain pipes, I inserted a "T" fitting to regulate the flow over the balcony or direct the "condensed water"into a 5 gal water bottle..this is the product of the Airconditoner...pure distilled water...(dead water) no minerals..which is good..first boil it then keeping it in refrigerator..this water is "gold and pure as silk to drink" my 7-11 girl comes over and drinks this water and can not believe it is smooth as silk, ...health wise this is good water as it removes from your body all the toxins from kidneys a water you can drink in limited amount. FYI I have yet to but bottled water as I get about 3 litres per night during the season Feb till April...just think of the thousands of gallons of water going down your drain pipes!!! Case closed, just think outside the box..Rotor Ron

That's odd. My a/c unit has a little sticker on it that says "Non-potable water. Do not drink." Granted, it's old, maybe the newer ones do discharge potable water.

Our house in Surin is supplied with totally potable water from our own well, no bills there and an abundant supply of water for all purposes.

Well water, I have my own well for 17 years now, at 30 mtr depth, contains dissolved solids. Thats a problem ,especially the iron. Its ok for the graden but the pool turns green (feric chloride is formed). The wash turns creamy and toiled and bath have calcium rings and stains. There are manganese ore filters but they are not very effective. An RO unit would make very good potable water but requires regenartions and care

You have to be carefull, minerals deficiency, osteoporoses, heart iregularities

I fogot, the water from the airconditioner contains all kind of airborne crap, like micro organisms, decaying matter on the condensor etc. Are you realy an engineer?

Despite huge investments, East Water will still have to increase the fees for water supplied to households and industrial clients next year to Bt10 per unit from the current rate of Bt9.25.

How much (what volume) is a unit of household water?

I believe it is 1 cubic meter.

I fogot, the water from the airconditioner contains all kind of airborne crap, like micro organisms, decaying matter on the condensor etc. Are you realy an engineer?

He did say he boiled it. However, we recently had our AC thoroughly cleaned. You would not believe the amount of crap in there. The tray that caches the condensation was severely filthy with black shit and some sort of snotty slime. That stuff was also in the tube going outside.

There is no way I would drink that water, even boiled.

He did say he boiled it. However, we recently had our AC thoroughly cleaned. You would not believe the amount of crap in there. The tray that caches the condensation was severely filthy with black shit and some sort of snotty slime. That stuff was also in the tube going outside.

There is no way I would drink that water, even boiled.

What about with a slice of lemon?

Now all the water tanks will have an increase.

plastic and stainless steel so if you need to buy, now would be a good time.

Beat the rush and the increase.

That is correct or 1,000 litres

Australia won't even do this and the people there have been say just as you do for years. Comes down to money.

1cubic mt,=1000lts.we get ripped off to the tune of 17bht a unit.