Windows Media Player

Jumbo chilli

Windows Media Player encountered an unknown error. This can occur when another program or operating system component encounters a problem but does not communicate the nature of the problem to the Player.

please help!

I can't use both win. media, reak player.

everytime i try, above error message turns up on either win. or real.

thanks in advance

Windows Media Player encountered an unknown error. This can occur when another program or operating system component encounters a problem but does not communicate the nature of the problem to the Player.

please help!

thanks in advance

I had the same problem and I solved it with system check.

Open My Computer, right click Local Disk (C:), click Properties,

click Tools, Check Error-checking, click Check Now, chose Automatically

fix file system errors and hit the start button.

please help!

thanks in advance

I had the same problem and I solved it with system check.

Open My Computer, right click Local Disk (C:), click Properties,

click Tools, Check Error-checking, click Check Now, chose Automatically

fix file system errors and hit the start button.

I've just finished error-checking, it say there is NO problem(?). :o

Of course, wmp is still showing same error message :D

As cdnvic said I shoul just reinstall it and see what happens.

hi'

just do as cndvic said, and for error checking, do not use error checking as too many files are in use by windoz, prefer the command line.

1.insert your win cd

2.type : sfc /scannow

3.let it work

4.when finished, type : sfc /purgecache

5.when finished, take off you win cd and reboot!

sfc, system file checker, check the integrity of windows protected system files and correct them in case of change(which should never happen)!

francois

Edited by francois

There was an article a while back about WMP being disabled on your system if you have an illegitimate copy of windows running, i.e. if it is a pirate copy media playback will be impared by micro$oft during auto-updates.

If so, how can I get wmp work? any idea? :D

nope sorry.

But I was only mentioning it. Probably is not your issue.

Anyway, why would you use WMP - there are lots of alternative media players. I use BSPlayer (free)

http://www.aboutlyrics.com/Software/Download/BSPlayer.php

Or have a sniff around the Doom9 website for others

I am not sure but if you have been disabled, it could affect other players too

:o

Well.., what can I say?

I've just installed "BSPlayer"andIt is showing different error message, it reads" directshow not installed" so I googled and found h3ll of a lot of filters or whatever stuffs for "directshow", I even installed many of "filter" thingys but still can't get it work!

What is directshow? where and how can I get it?

p.s: all readers, please understand me, I'm a computer beginnerf. :o

u could have big probs ... a bit out of my range - maybe Firefox or Francois can help you more.

Try this one, it should work for just about everything:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

what is directshow?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectShow

Otherwise it might be the old "Pantip Panacea" for you (= reinstall windows)

Thanks a bunch Pandit, :D it works fine, I guess I'm gonna stick with this for a while unless I find what real problem with wmp is and get it right. :D:o

And thanks all of you(Billion, cdnvic, francois), too. :D:D:D

jumbo chilli

This reminds me of a similar problem I had on one of my PCs some time ago. At that time, I had several (perhaps, too many...) players installed on this PC. From what I remember, I managed to solve the pb by uninstalling Real Player, which I have not re-installed since then. Different audio/media players sometimes don't co-exist too well on the same machine. I find Real Player, in particular, really unfriendly: it sets up parameters and its own environment without necessarily asking the user...

Reading your initial post, I see that you have both WMP and Real installed. Did the problem appear for the first time AFTER you installed Real? (see what I mean?) Or can you remember what you did immediately BEFORE the problem appeared for the first time?

My suggestion: uninstall all your players (except WMP) first and other related stuff such as the 'filters' you mention, and see if it makes thinks better (let us know). You should first try to get back WMP to work. If you can't, you might have to re-install Windows, but you are not at this stage yet. By the way, which version of WMP do you have (click Help, then About Windows Media Player) ?

Audio/media on a PC has always been tricky. It is also advisable to install/uninstall audio/media applications one by one, and to shut down and restart your system after each install/uninstall, even if the system does not explicitly ask you to do so.

Thanks Morbius, I shoud have tried your suggestion but today I mean few hours later I'm flying off, to other side of the world(S.Africa) for a few months which means I won't be able to use my desk top. :o

As soon as I come back to Thailand, I'll try and let all of you know. :D

Thanks again for your kindness and all of t.v members. :D