Genuine Advantage Windows In Se Asia

I also bought Win7 Home Professional from tohome.com but they sent me OEM - not sure if that's standard or eyebrow raising, I didn't think much of it at the time.

The only difference between OEM and Retail is the licensing. Everything else is the same.

I'm vaguely interested in is getting my hands on just a standard, US-marketed, generic Windows 7.

Click here

Note: You still need a valid key to activate.

My "Get Genuine" Windows 7 discs from Microsoft Singapore have an Upgrade folder which upgrades .NET 1.0 to .NET 1.1. Can someone explain this?

It's not native to the OS. It's on the Win7 installation discs, which it's not supposed to be a part of. It's inserted into all my Windows 7 operating systems (which, along with WinMail, Active Setup, IEAK branding and a few hundred thousand things more - it's not supposed to be a part of).

It cannot be removed - from the operating system it's not supposed to be a part of. But yet, is on the installation discs in an "Upgrade" folder.

Says who?

There's always been an 'Upgrade' folder as long as I can remember. It was there on the SP0 (RTM) discs and now SP1. I can't comment on WinMail, but Active Setup is a legacy component and is part of the Internet Explorer setup engine. IEAK on the other hand, is a toolkit used by organizations to customize IE browser components.

Edited by Supernova

I will freely admit I know nothing about computers, past the fact that when I turn it on it works. Mostly. However, this thread has its facinations, a bit like driving past a car accident to be honest, you can't help but look.

However, i do have to wonder in light of your comment on going public, why a Thai forum, even one with a sub-sub forum on computers is the best place to get help?

As far as i know, there are whole forums dedicated to nothing BUT computers, and indeed I would hazard a guess that there are whole forums devoted to explaining exactly why microsoft/windows etc is the devils spawn.

You think they might be worth a go?

A very good and valid question, and one I can only respond with by proffering an example - short answer is, that's where I've been for 6 months. Well, because I'm a moran, I was on 'anti'-virus forums for 3-4 months, until it finally clicked one day that they were only interested in running me through endless anti-malware scans, until they get a clean one then they pronounce your systems clean. The fact that all the ones which flashed every kind of rootkit and suspect deleted RunOnce registry keys, didn't just heal themselves...isn't all that concerning to them. One clean Malwarebytes scan, and you're good to go. When the frustration overwhelmed me one day, I realised suddenly I was retarded. And rather than ask Malwarebytes-scanning forum 'experts' about .NET, I decided to go to Technet .NET forum and ask about .NET.

I posted a number of very long threads - long only because I kept asking questions, for the sum total of zero (0) answers in 2-3 months. I have no plans to post further. The last thread, I posted an OP (and following 10 posts) the output of a single .NET Removal log with the question "How can I remove a .NET Framework which has hacked my Windows." Simple stuff. 45 pages of .NET 1.0 and 1.1 'not installed', 'removed' entries. The responses from the experts:

1. According to the description of your problem, you failed to uninstall .NET Framework using the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool. I am sorry that you have such a terrible experience in uninstalling .NET Framework. First, in fact, we do not recommend you use this to uninstall .NET Framework now, though it worked perfectly in the past. Since we find this tool will probably lead to some issues in some scenario recently, I sorry for the inconvenience. Second, I see your OS is Windows 7. Actually, .NET Framework 3.5 is the components of Windows 7, thus you cannot uninstall it.

2. Please read what Alexander told you.As you have Windows 7, you CANNOT uninstall the .NET Framework that is an integral part of the OS itself. The removal tool you are trying to use is NOT intended for use with Windows 7's embedded framework. The Framework installed as part of Windows 7 is .NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5 through 3.5 SP1. This is all ONE framework. I realize the umbering system is a bit confusing, but 2.0 is the base, full, framework, and 3.0 and 3.5 are extensions of 2.0. Also, I'll second Alexander's request that you clarify exactly what else you are trying to uninstall. We want to assist you, but we need your cooperation to do so. I do have an additional question: As you say you have a fresh install of Windows 7, why are are you trying to remove components?

3. From your log, you have not installed .NET Framework 1.0 and 1.1, so this tool will not uninstall them. The .NET Framework Cleanup Tool is used for uninstalling the .NET Framework installed on your machine, so you cannot use it to uninstall any other software like Windows Phone SDK. If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

lol. They need my cooperation. They want to help! Look, I don't mean to brag, but I would need to be into my 2nd bottle of Bacardi before numbers that small confused me. 1 > 1.1 > 2 > 3 > 3.5 > 4. Easy! He realises the numbering system is confusing. lol. vomit.

Every thread on those forums - on any forum - is the same. I ask questions that a child would not be confused by, requesting answers that anyone proficient in x or y or z field would consider boring. Bored I can understand. But I don't get bored responses. I get responses too stupid to be plausible. Six months, hundreds and hundreds of threads (many censored...why? Oh, I imagine I could nut it out if I pondered on each specific one, but so many dozens are snipped silently who has the time. I have to press on in my fruitless search for the Answer I know lies at the end - it's so not the one I'm looking for. But boy, do they get ancy about discussing something *this* boring and innocuous! I mean, it's not like I just asked them why they handed me the most corrupted computer on the planet, after seven weeks of ethically fixing it or anything.

I know it's something they don't want to discuss. Which is cool, I don't want to discuss it either. But...I would like to turn on a computer and not be greeted by the Windows 'Recovery' Environment, one day.

The only difference between OEM and Retail is the licensing. Everything else is the same.

But OEM and OEM are not even the same. How could they be? The entire model would be redundant, if they were all the same. IEAK Branding and Active Setup and all the various options they can pick and choose from...wouldn't exist. Obviously? The individual manufacturers create their own unique 'flavours' of Windows 7. The services on my machine won't be the same as yours. Pretty sure you can take my word for that one. The images might not all be unique, but each batch will be. Maybe each image. Who knows? Try replacing your ntuser.dat files and you'll understand....my emotions on what I can and cannot do, for reasons undisclosed. But when each batch of images were made with IE Active Setup and "pick-and-choose" components / services / features / layout / defaults....they're not going to be the same yo.

I have had threads deleted on Secunia (watchdog forum, lol) because the mods accused me of wasting their time, when I asked why Secunia's PSI / CSI was giving WinMail the green thumbs up. They accused me of being too stupid to remember installing WinMail, as "everyone knows it's not part of Windows 7". I knew that, that was the point of my censored thread. I only knew it because I've never used it in my life. I might have, on occasion, if it wasn't hidden and invisible. Makes you wonder, whether it's installed for the user. I suggested this to HP helpfully, when my >dir /a:h /s command line generated some unbelievable output - after 7 weeks of fixing my 5 minute old Pavilion. They just reacted awkwardly, god knows why. I was just trying to be helpful. One could be forgiven for thinking they had something to be ashamed about? You'd think they just killed my mother, or something. It was all very bizarre. All their phones started ringing silently. It was the darnedest thing. I must be going deaf as well as crazy. But you know what I mean, right? The end users won't likely stumble upon winmail.exe hidden away with the system critical desktop.ini files, that's for sure. I dunno. Seems so simple to me.

Maybe...too simple, to be all that bright a discussion topic....

I actually only intended to enquire further about the seemingly unique nature of Windows 7 imaging in SE Asia, after trying to buy a 40k Sony Vaio PLUS 10k free cash for passing on the OEM image. And being effectively told "No buddy, you're just not 'getting' it - IT'S A PACKAGE DEAL."

I mean, if it's crazy to be curious about that...then I'm crazy and always have been. Because saying no to free money tends to only happen when there is a pretty big catch. You might be able to find the catch; underlined above in what seems to be an idiotic response to a simple .NET question (idiotic only at first blush); maybe in the default settings or in the Distributed COMponent services, or in the hidden files, or perhaps - in your drive geometry or the LBA on that drive; maybe in the subsystems operational underneath your operating system. I obviously can't be expected to know, I'm the only idiot dumb enough to talk about it openly, so it's a bit hard for me to know what's on each unique batch of IEAK (not) branded Windows 7 images. I've demanded Microsoft tell me who made my (unfathomably criminal) versions. Needless to say, they refuse. Maybe they don't even know. I'd be okay with that, if they had support for when their deceitful marketing backfires on occasion. I didn't knowingly pay $300 to Microsoft to be shipped far more corrupted versions of a product (when the hash codes verify) than any hacked version I've ever seen. Heck, that would just be crazy!

I'm vaguely interested in is getting my hands on just a standard, US-marketed, generic Windows 7.

That's a cool link! Oh man, the laughable tilt I went through just to get an 'untouched' MSDN RTM ISO..sigh. I was convinced it was the solution, and was unlucky in discovering otherwise, over a very long period of emotional heartbreak involving hash codes and a bit of fail, of course. But I'm assuming these are all the same hmm. Same, yet different. Probably worth a few downloads cheers! Yes, I'm pretty dull / or desperate. I just now realise what RTM stands for, one imagines Windows isn't likely to get very different. Rats. No escape hatch, for owners who aren't in the Enterprise. That's a domain reference. Dumb trekkies.

-----------------

But OEM and OEM are not even the same. How could they be? The entire model would be redundant, if they were all the same.

There are two types of OEM: regular and royalty.

Regular OEM is what you get when you buy a "system builder" OEM Windows. Except for the label on the disc, regular OEM discs are the same as retail discs, they install the exact same bits as a retail disc. The difference is not in the disc, but in the key; if you activate Windows with a OEM key, the key is forever tied to your system, whereas if you use a retail key to activate, you can move that activation to another computer in the future.

The big PC makers like Dell, HP, and Sony are classified as "royalty OEMs" by Microsoft. They will often customize their disc by including logos, extra drivers, and/or hotfixes. Their discs will also include a special certificate that Windows uses to authenticate your computers BIOS.

IEAK Branding and Active Setup and all the various options they can pick and choose from...wouldn't exist. Obviously? The individual manufacturers create their own unique 'flavours' of Windows 7. The services on my machine won't be the same as yours. Pretty sure you can take my word for that one.

IEAK and/or OPK (OEM Preinstallation Kit) is used to customize the Windows installation media. These tools are typically utilized by major PC distributors to include drivers and other software. This is nothing new. If you happen to have one of these discs and don't want the extra crud, DON'T USE IT. All you have to do is download an "untouched", non-branded ISO image and burn it to disc; the rest is history. Why all the fuss? Your complaining about something that has been in practice for years.

That's a cool link! Oh man, the laughable tilt I went through just to get an 'untouched' MSDN RTM ISO..sigh. I was convinced it was the solution, and was unlucky in discovering otherwise, over a very long period of emotional heartbreak involving hash codes and a bit of fail, of course. But I'm assuming these are all the same hmm. Same, yet different. Probably worth a few downloads cheers!

Happy downloading!

Do keep in mind, "new" SP1 integrated images (a media refresh to fix an installation bug) have been posted on MSDN recently. If the CRC/SHA1 hash of your downloaded ISO don't match, well, now you know why.

Some ISOs aren't bootable but contain single installation files that can install Windows 7 from an existing Windows installation.

The bootable images can also do that, so there's no real advantage in downloading the non bootable ones.

I can spot a disadvantage, in both. But then, I'm (unwillingly) invested. ermm.gif

Everything's fine. I realise this. I appreciate that it's all in my imagination. But why can't my imagination imagine cool stuff like Natalie Portman imagining Mila Kunis etc. This is my beef. I have no problems with my systems, which won't boot at even a 50% strike-rate. I may have complained in the past, but I assure you I was in the wrong. Windows cannot repair Windows, I realise now it's a lot to expect and I'm just thankful whenever Windows is able to occasionally restore back the corruption. Corrupt or not, it's all fine. Always has been, ever since DELL fixed the hard drive they corrupted. I just never even noticed, how many issues I really had until they reformatted my attitude. Ask them why. Then let me know. You've got it the other way around. But meh, let's not play the blame game. It's takes two to tango you know - and I have stretched their patient dismissal on occasion - it hasn't all been one-way traffic, is my point. But now, everything is fine. Fine and dandy.

Here is my fine HP. The one that lasted 5 minutes under the blistering heat of a Canonical official disc offline installation. HP have been working on it for 7 weeks. Good things come to those who wait, 15 pages of 100 Unknown PCI subsystems. The mystery is cool, but I can't help but feel I'd make more use of the dozen unknown PCI devices, if I were let in on the inside information that is their capabilities / existence. I asked them, just out of curiosity. I don't even have a wife, but for a moment, I thought they'd all been interrupted having their orgiastic way with her. The awkwardness. If I could write better, I would convey how awkward it all was. Very awkward. I can verify the awkward, in fact. It was so awkward, I walked out of there with the most corrupted laptop in modern history under my arm. It was very awkward.

gr5yn51vlnt8hlqj8sym.jpg

With Windows losing it's head and blaming those around it, demanding drivers Windows should include if Windows claims it needs them - otherwise, if we both agree we don't want them, Windows should let it go and just push on through yafeelsme? - I tried to update the drivers. Here's a cute thing you never realise how hard it is until you have to do it...150 times because everything has an 18 hr half life and you haven't yet discovered box.net which, of course, isn't much of a box when you don't have net...install Windows drivers claimed to be required by Windows and Windows ONLY...in order to install Windows. Oh it's probably as annoying as my run-on sentences. But although I've seen more errors than a - wow that joke was going to be terrible and in poor taste, lucky for you I'm a fierce editor - I jumped through all the ludicrous hoops again today - and no, Windows will not install drivers in the Recovery Environment, don't be ridiculous, the RE doesn't have have the correct subsystem for Windows executables - and tried to replace my corrupted Intel controllers. Well then. Under the circumstances...a few more hours of tilt, who's counting.

2schftzs28jm57zqna44.jpg

Dude you should just quit using Windows if you have such a problem with it. You should use something like Linux. Way ahead of you. I couldn't understand for the life of me, how Linux was even worse, until I discovered my Unix subsystems in Windows. None of the experts even knew about it...! And my Windows conveniently had it missing, from Add / Remove Windows components. Just a coincidence, Microsoft declined to speculate upon. Here is a new Canonical ubuntu server disc clashing with my new Pavilion. They've never gotten along, just quietly.

izfd2ynmakm0lf4ujqj9.jpg

It would probably take me seven weeks, to create a 18,000,000,000 (18 BILLION) gig extended partition. Nah, just joshing. I could literally never do that. I once tried to count to 1000 and got to like 80. But that's gonna take awhile to zero-fill.

uu1g1bexf2ovkn36smnv.jpg

Just showing off my 30,000 bt Endpoint. It's just that...now look, I'm not complaining. Everything is fine. Why wouldn't it be? I can't get online except when I'm too drunk to be productive. I should be paying them, really. Look it's just...I know I'm going to sound like an ungrateful <deleted> but..sigh, it's just, I thought I was buying a Pavilion. I already have heaps of endpoints, so...Yes, I know I'm lucky. I'm just old-fashioned that way. meh. It's EXPRESS!

bdub7b7macctu2zk4vqm.jpg

You just can't please some people. Give them 18 billion gig, they complain about a missing 300. What a world. Seagate saying everything is fine. So I know it's fine. Seagate never lies to me, when I show them pictures of their drives doing stupendous and miraculous things - if anything, they're bored, the test PASSED? What's the problem? No problem. I'm just doing all this stuff for fun! Nothing is making me run these tests. This is just leisure yall. We're all fine over here.

8gf9hs1cj14ojtg4xqis.jpg

My "Get Genuine" Windows 7 discs from Microsoft Singapore have an Upgrade folder which upgrades .NET 1.0 to .NET 1.1. Can someone explain this?

It's not native to the OS. It's on the Win7 installation discs, which it's not supposed to be a part of. It's inserted into all my Windows 7 operating systems (which, along with WinMail, Active Setup, IEAK branding and a few hundred thousand things more - it's not supposed to be a part of).

It cannot be removed - from the operating system it's not supposed to be a part of. But yet, is on the installation discs in an "Upgrade" folder.

Says who?

There's always been an 'Upgrade' folder as long as I can remember. It was there on the SP0 (RTM) discs and now SP1. I can't comment on WinMail, but Active Setup is a legacy component and is part of the Internet Explorer setup engine. IEAK on the other hand, is a toolkit used by organizations to customize IE browser components.

Legacy in 2011? Technology moves fast.

I'm pretty certain even 2.0 wasn't a generic inclusion in Win7, just quietly. I know everyone disagrees but unlike yall, I can verify my claim! I was certain my 4.0's were a virus, and tentatively queried the nature of the discrepancy on a VERY high traffic site, thankfully, very tentatively. Embarrassing verification is still verification. And I clearly had only 3.5 and 4.0 for a LONG time. But...they all claim 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 are 'native' to Win7 now, and that's all good and well. One day, I suddenly started seeing 2.0. Then one day 1.0. Then one day, Windows Phone SDK and Visual Basic early editions and then we're into the 1990's for development software. But meh. They (as in Microsoft's oft-contradictory "fast publish" articles and the generally accepted authorities, i.e. Aaron Stebner for .NET) are all unanimous that 2.0 / 3.0 and 3.5 are 'native' to Win7. I can live with that. What I'm not sure I can live with is the 1.0 and 1.1 embedded in my Windows 7. Apparently, persistently. And when I jump through the ridiculous, ludicrous, indefensible hoops to remove what I didn't install and have no need / desire for (hey, if I'm wrong, you betcha I'll regret uninstalling it, for the 18 seconds it would take me to re-download it - a traumatic lesson no one learns twice)...ridiculous, laughable, infuriating hoops, as outlined on this and many other pages, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908077 - with Aaron's tool listed as the FINAL SOLUTION - when ALL ELSE FAILS lol - to remove a pesky non-native .NET framework...

...yeah, I think it's kind of obvious there is some dark stuff going on. And I wouldn't need to be a victim to know that. Well no, I probably would, but only because I'm a self-centered moran.

One more Bacardi and I reckon I might struggle to count to four. So good night.

With Windows losing it's head and blaming those around it, demanding drivers Windows should include if Windows claims it needs them

Let's be a little 'realistic' here. You can't expect Windows (or any other operating system for that matter) to include drivers for *every* device in existence. :rolleyes: Besides, the Windows 7 driver repository is pretty darn big as it is.

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

Legacy in 2011? Technology moves fast.

You better believe it...

Open:

C:\Windows\system

In case you hadn't noticed, those files are from Windows 3.x.

Next, run regedit.exe and go to this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping

See anything familiar? (Hint: system.ini and win.ini).

Doesn't that remind you of the good ol' MS-DOS/Windows 3.x days...

How's that for "legacy"?

And I clearly had only 3.5 and 4.0 for a LONG time. But...they all claim 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 are 'native' to Win7 now,

.NET Framework 3.5 includes 3.0 and 2.0. And yes, IT IS native to Win7.

Screencap (Win7 Ultimate SP1 - MSDN):

458843801.png

See also:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/kbarticle.aspx?id=318785

1. According to the description of your problem, you failed to uninstall .NET Framework using the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool. I am sorry that you have such a terrible experience in uninstalling .NET Framework. First, in fact, we do not recommend you use this to uninstall .NET Framework now, though it worked perfectly in the past. Since we find this tool will probably lead to some issues in some scenario recently, I sorry for the inconvenience. Second, I see your OS is Windows 7. Actually, .NET Framework 3.5 is the components of Windows 7, thus you cannot uninstall it.

2. Please read what Alexander told you.As you have Windows 7, you CANNOT uninstall the .NET Framework that is an integral part of the OS itself. The removal tool you are trying to use is NOT intended for use with Windows 7's embedded framework. The Framework installed as part of Windows 7 is .NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5 through 3.5 SP1. This is all ONE framework. I realize the umbering system is a bit confusing, but 2.0 is the base, full, framework, and 3.0 and 3.5 are extensions of 2.0. Also, I'll second Alexander's request that you clarify exactly what else you are trying to uninstall. We want to assist you, but we need your cooperation to do so. I do have an additional question: As you say you have a fresh install of Windows 7, why are are you trying to remove components?

3. From your log, you have not installed .NET Framework 1.0 and 1.1, so this tool will not uninstall them. The .NET Framework Cleanup Tool is used for uninstalling the .NET Framework installed on your machine, so you cannot use it to uninstall any other software like Windows Phone SDK. If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

As far as I'm concerned, the 'experts' response here is 100 percent accurate.

What I'm not sure I can live with is the 1.0 and 1.1 embedded in my Windows 7.

And why not? What is it that makes it so harmful? I'm willing to bet that .NET 1.x isn't installed on your system. It's not on mine. So what if there's an "Upgrade" folder at the root of the Windows 7 DVD... Even the Windows XP installation media has a DOTNETFX folder, which does not get installed by default. Honestly? I think you're making a big deal out of nothing.

As for your drive(s) being corrupted, that's a different issue, unrelated to any of this.

Edited by Supernova

I must admit that I too have had problems with Windows 7. I must also admit that my problems were created by fixing things that were not broken. It seems that when things are working just fine, I feel the need to make something work better. I have worked with this problem and think that I am nearly cured but not totally cured. I have to repeat the mantra. DON'T fix it if it is not broken. Usually I have to repeat it several times.

• 1 year later...

Sorry Darrel I won't be able to enlighten you as I have done in the past, but if you are happy with exploitable IE4 Active Setup images and thousands of desktop.ini / .htt buffer overrun files, 100s of defaults set to "omg" including default firewall inbound rules that even I could probably use to pop into your system root and have some remote registry fun....then you likely have nothing to worry about.

One guy knew exactly what I wanted (well they all do but this guy didn't forget his excellent English suddenly), he was thinking about it and decided against, saying it would cause trouble...which seemed cryptic but I didn't press the issue as he was mildly uncomfortable. I asked him if he knew a custom builder in Pantip who would build me a clean combination of untouched hardware and he shook his head saying he didn't think so, which was also a bit cryptic.

My concerns are with the PCI controllers but learning is a slow process as there are many Darrel's about. Full of incorrect opinions which distracted me for months from my own - somewhat remarkably, considering my illiteracy - almost correct gut feel leads and suspicions, literally from the start of this trying year.

The OP is delusional and that's why no one in Pantip (or anywhere else, including Dell Asia) wants anything to do with him or his money. They have realised that no matter what they do they cant possibly satisfy him, as he wants things that just dont exist, and finds problems where there are none.

I have both a health care professional and an IT expert looking at this thread and am keen to hear their opinions

http://technology.inquirer.net/23415/microsoft-bares-study-results-on-viruses-malware-in-newly-bought-computers

Microsoft announced Monday the results of their computer security study conducted in Southeast Asia that found 5,601 different kinds of malware in laptops that have been pre-installed with pirated Windows operating systems (OS) and pirated DVDs of Windows installers.

The study, which sampled 216 branded laptops and 66 DVD installers, was conducted last December 2012 in Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam.

68 per cent of the sampled branded laptops were found to contain malware according to Keshav Dhakad, Regional Director for Intellectual Property of Microsoft Asia Pacific and Japan.

“Many people assume that buying a name-brand PC is all that’s required to guarantee a good and safe computing experience. They don’t think about the software sold with the computer, and whether or not it’s pirated,” Dhakad said in a statement during the press conference.

Out of the 5,601 types of malware they found in the sampled computers, 3,703 were considered hostile while 1,898 were capable of “tweaking” the operating system so that it would remove essential security mechanisms such as the firewall and the automatic security updates.

Dhakad said that the malwares, which can be disguised as ordinary computer items like a picture or a legitimate program, are enough to “cause damage, steal information, and all other kinds of hostile activities,”

Of the different kinds of malicious software they found, the most prevalent were trojans, which accounted for 3800 of all the malware found. A trojan is a type of program that appears legitimate but performs malicious and illicit activity.

Other malware found were worms (726), viruses (627), crack programs (127), hacker tools (109), rogue programs (95), password stealers (18) among others.

Vietnam had an 88 per cent piracy rate, Indonesia had 86 per cent, Thailand 72 per cent and Philippine 70 per cent, according to the cited study.

Important considerations that might not be readily apparent at first blush.

Microsoft is talking about OEMs spiking brand new systems with highly hostile, corrupted Windows images. This is why when I tried to buy a Sony Vaio listed for 40,000 and offered the relatively huge brand name store 50,000 to remove the corrupted Windows image, the salesman chuckled. He was kinda funny; I liked him. I'm like "You just don't understand, I'm offering you 10,000 more to remove a feature." He smiled and said "No you don't understand. It's a package deal."

Then I understood. But Darrel will probably still be struggling to connect the dots in 2020.

I notified Microsoft of these corrupted images which were on every single brand new system I looked at in Pantip (and I looked at hundreds, for 100% corruption). I did more than notify Microsoft; I have irrefutable proof that I sent them mountains of evidence which they just ignored. I even paid $600 for two Microsoft Emergency Technical experts to remote access my machine where I showed them all the corruption for two hours, after which they logged off. They even had the nerve to charge my card, never refunded. Criminals. Oh and this was all two years ago.

My point being, Microsoft is being very disingenuous here. These are their major OEMs they're admitting were involved in criminal activity, but they're acting as if it's just one of those things; a risk one takes dealing with Hewlett-Packard, DELL, Sony, ASUS, MSi and Lenovo (I'm sure Acer, Toshiba and Samsung were the same but I'm 100% on the ones I purchased).

Thailand 72%, Microsoft says. I'd be willing to wager a large amount of money that % is closer to 100 than 72 but I guess it's corruption on a scale beyond the capacity for people to process so they'll just shrug and stay quiet and express concerns for the mental health of the person trying to look out for others and - of course - providing all the evidence.

Microsoft is talking about OEMs spiking brand new systems with highly hostile, corrupted Windows images.

No, Microsoft didn't blame the OEMs.

Why don't you just use Linux?

>> Microsoft announced Monday the results of their computer security study conducted in Southeast Asia that found 5,601 different kinds of malware in laptops that have been pre-installed with pirated Windows operating systems (OS) and pirated DVDs of Windows installers. <<

>> Microsoft is talking about OEMs spiking brand new systems with highly hostile, corrupted Windows images. <<

It is very obvious, to anyone who can read plain English without their mind going into a delusional and paranoid terror, that Microsoft's "computer security study" relates to laptops supplied to the reseller without an O/S and the reseller then installing pirated Windows ...OEM edition or NOT. This has nothing to do with the OEMs themselves and should be considered separately.

@TheyCallmeScooter; Have you considered that using computers might not be beneficial to your well-being? Perhaps you can outsource anything IT related in a business context and then refrain from using technology in your personal life. After doing that, and still you find yourself involved in other situations that lead you to become suspicious about the true nature of things, then you must consider the problem originates in yourself and not the world around you. Surely battling these corporations is too much for one man? Can you not try to enjoy your life rather than "solving" it? If your mind is so relentlessly probing then wouldn't finding some way to apply your aptitudes in a truly creative and productive fashion be better than finding fault in the world around you ?

Edited by RandomSand
  • Like 1

>> Microsoft announced Monday the results of their computer security study conducted in Southeast Asia that found 5,601 different kinds of malware in laptops that have been pre-installed with pirated Windows operating systems (OS) and pirated DVDs of Windows installers. <<

>> Microsoft is talking about OEMs spiking brand new systems with highly hostile, corrupted Windows images. <<

It is very obvious, to anyone who can read plain English without their mind going into a delusional and paranoid terror, that Microsoft's "computer security study" relates to laptops supplied to the reseller without an O/S and the reseller then installing pirated Windows ...OEM edition or NOT. This has nothing to do with the OEMs themselves and should be considered separately.

@TheyCallmeScooter; Have you considered that using computers might not be beneficial to your well-being? Perhaps you can outsource anything IT related in a business context and then refrain from using technology in your personal life. After doing that, and still you find yourself involved in other situations that lead you to become suspicious about the true nature of things, then you must consider the problem originates in yourself and not the world around you. Surely battling these corporations is too much for one man? Can you not try to enjoy your life rather than "solving" it? If your mind is so relentlessly probing then wouldn't finding some way to apply your aptitudes in a truly creative and productive fashion be better than finding fault in the world around you ?

+1, good stuff. Post of the day!

Microsoft is talking about OEMs spiking brand new systems with highly hostile, corrupted Windows images.

I stand corrected. Microsoft is openly accusing major hardware chains (like HH, ITC, as well as all the OEM-licensed resellers like Lenovo, DELL, etc) of extremely malicious criminal action.

http://www.rappler.com/life-and-style/technology/22533-malware-risk-with-piracy-use-microsoft

MANILA, Philippines - At a press conference on Monday, February 25, Microsoft announced the results of a forensic study on malware threats, noting that people had to take caution not only in avoiding buying pirated software, but also in ensuring their purchased PCs do not have malware pre-installed by unscrupulous vendors.

The study looked at a total of 282 samples made up of 216 brand-name PCs with pirated software installed and 66 counterfeit software DVDs. These samples were sourced from Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam.

After examining the computers and DVDs, Microsoft noted a malware infection rate of 69%, increasing 6 points from its initial study done in December 2012. A total of 68% of the sampled computers contained malware, and 74% of the sampled DVDs contained malware.

The study notes that even well-known PC brands were affected by the malware issue. Microsoft thinks, however, the manufacturers themselves weren't to blame.

Instead, the company believes the computers were using non-Windows operating systems, which were replaced in the downstream supply chain or retail channel with malware-laden counterfeit Windows operating systems. Their study also showed evidence that some of their sampled computers had their hard drives swapped with inferior drives that may have had the malware pre-installed.

It's either the manufacturers or the mega-IT superstores / manufacturer-licensed resellers. There's no third man. There's no patsy for you insane people to blame.

I have received systems direct from the OEMs Service HQ which had corrupted Windows images or corrupted DOS on them. So Microsoft thinks, but I'm telling you that I know. And so you do.

You can go down to any computer store in Bangkok and cross-check the Windows images' default settings for Firewall, Trusted Root CA Store and you will see either 100% or close to 100% corruption of the Windows official default settings.

So why don't you?

Have you considered how outrageously offensive and rude (not to mention pathetic and lame and clichéd) you're being when you offer your caring unsolicited, irrational and insane advice with the sneer of 5000 years of exploited women laced throughout?

You should never again give advice when it has not been solicited. To do so is an outrageously unacceptably RUDE imposition that fairly warrants more stern a response than this.

And for those who, for whatever invested or emotional or otherwise insane reason, assert the manufacturers aren't to blame; I have a question for you that you won't be able to answer.

If the OEMs weren't to blame, why do they continue to sell to vendors who (if the OEMs were innocent) are causing so much brand damage to the manufacturers by installing hyper-malicious malware on the branded laptops?