Shady Craiglist

radiola

I posted an add on CL few days ago and some guy asked me to send my ebook reader to england. I am not sure why he wants that, it is sony ebook reader and he told me he will give me 100 USD extra to send him reader with special post (i forgot the name but famous one)

SO I cant figure it out why he wants me to send the outdated model to uk if he can buy it there.

He said to give him my bank account and he will send me 300 usd to send him ebook reader.

This looks very shady!!

What an he do with my bank account, can he still money from it, I would give him my thai bank account.

He gave me uk number to call him, the number did not work.

On the otehr hand, if he gives me 300 USD , that is ok, i will send him a dam_n thing, he might be a retarded person so my win

Don't you dare give him any account numbers.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

* DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts on craigslist.

* NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is a scammer.

* FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.

* CRAIGSLIST IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer "buyer protection" or "seller certification"

* NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)

* AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE" YOUR TRANSACTION.

* DO NOT RENT HOUSING WITHOUT SEEING THE INTERIOR, OR PURCHASE EXPENSIVE ITEMS SIGHT-UNSEEN - in all likelihood that housing unit is not actually for rent and that cheap item does not exist.

* DO NOT SUBMIT TO CREDIT CHECKS OR BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR A JOB OR FOR HOUSING UNTIL YOU HAVE MET THE INTERVIEWER OR LANDLORD/AGENT IN PERSON.

Yes OP, I would be a bit concerned as to what this guy was possibly trying to pull, but as far as giving out my bank details, I can't see a problem…..If that's all I was giving out. There are far easier ways to get people bank account details.

Only thing I would say is, if you think the deal is too good to be true……..Well you know how the rest of the saying go's

'He gave me uk number to call him, the number did not work.'

That would be a warning sign!

If the deal is too good to be true....it usually is...

Ask him to pay via PayPal. Easy to set up and safe. Easy for him to use paypal.

You can buy the latest Sony ereader with a 12 month guarantee in the UK for 250 US dollars. It's a scam. Don't do it unless you want to lose all your money.

Edited by endure

you cant loose money if he do wester unin right?

Once you send money by Western Union it's gone. You cannot get it back. If you send it you lose it.

He's not sending money, but wanting the money to be sent to him before he sends the product. Right?

Good test. If they send you the money, it's a go for sure! But I doubt they will do that. Sounds like a scam for sure. Worth a try though?

Paypal is not safe! They can take your money back on many different kind of complains.

Paypal is not safe! They can take your money back on many different kind of complains.

That is true... they offer Buyer protection, not so much Seller.

Sounds like they want your bank account details..then when u give them, they will say they need some money sent to them for clearance or something.....or maybe they already have other details of yours from Craigslist/Fb etc...

Thanks for that info...I was not aware of that!!! :(

There is a lot of Buyer protection which can be twisted that way that the seller need to give back the money.

With everything correct and shipping to the registered address it might be relative safe, but not complete. If you doubt that someone is honest it isn't safe enough.

Another thing is: a friend of mine sold some IPhone accessories and got his Paypal account blocked for 6 month with 1000 USD on it.

Someone claimed that parts are not original and protected by US law. Might be true or not, but he has no way to dispute that or proof it is other.

Its a scam.

I was selling a printer in the UK and someone from New York (allegedly) wanted me to post it to them and they would pay an extra $$$ to do it because they "didn't want the latest model it had to be this one to replace the one that he broke, and it also has to be this model or the landlady's parrot will go ape shit if it isn't . . . " or something like that.

I baited him for a while with all sorts of silly excuses and pretending to be a bit thick about the processes. It was quite funny seeing him get more and more frustrated with each email at this mong who kept getting the instructions wrong. wink.gif

Eventually I got bored of it and starting taking the piss out of what he must have thought was business-like-and-believable-English (it had a funny African flavour to it) and lame 'forwarded' paypal support emails. He called me lots of names and threatened to call the FBI. I advised him to ask directly for Agents Moulder or Scully and he said advised me to watch out. biggrin.gif

Edited by Trembly

If he had your bank account number (and name in full), what would he actually do with it?

Bump?

About all he could do with that info is wire transfer funds to your account. Only if he had the routing number, along with the account number, your name and the name of the bank...

If he had your bank account number (and name in full), what would he actually do with it?

Bump?

Its the start of the scam. A test to see how gullible you are. Can work numerous ways. Can be an electronics fund transfer to your bank that convinces you the money is there but later turns out to be fraudulent, a little bit harder to do that the last year or so following the closure of some companies that offered methods that facilitated this. More often than not though the scammer tries to get more and more details about you, this can either be used in an attempt to clear out your bank account or obtain sufficient details to do an ID fraud, get credit cards in your name etc. In almost all such situations they have contacts in your country to take it further. If you have time on your hands you can get a great deal of fun by turning the tables on the scammers.

http://www.419hell.com/Nigerian_Scam_Baiting/Scam_Baiting_Tips.html

They are smart these suckers, the best way is to lure hom to a site where you can check his ip, he did not want to visit any site, he was hiding his ip. Usually they are really stupid and follow the link and you can see the come from Africa.

This guys english was really good. And yes you shoudl know when he offers extra money that is not normal,

Still dont know what he can do with bank account number.

With paypal it is possible that his bank pulls out the money after 1 year, beware, that happened to me from a girl from India, and she did not want to cheat me, she later paid me again, but yes her bank pull out the money from my paypal after 1 year.

Really strange.

Beware paypal, do western union, that is the safest option

after i told him to do western union, i never heard from him again

and try to get his ip, I am master at that, you can read his ip from his email but only if he is not sending mail through webform, or using google, hotmail, yahoo....