Q. Koh Tao Internet Café -- Cost Per Min ?

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know of a resort that offers internet in the room anywhere on the island?

Depends on when you want this.

At the end of december 2005 a new company will start providing wireless internet in all resorts (Sairee, Mae Haad and later Chalok Baan Kao). This network is expected to be operational in February 2006.

This sounds good, I will be in the country for at least 6 months and really enjoyed my stay on the turtle island last time I was there. I had pretty much discounted it this time as I had assumed my internet needs (I plan to continue my 2-3 hour/dayinternet based job while in the country) could not be met. I have a wireless card in my (Apple Mac) laptop. what sort of speeds will the wireless service be operating at and at what cost? (ball park).

Jaidem I have never used GPRS, what sort of spped does this operate at? What cost/month? Is it Mac compatible? I have bluetooth in my laptop if that's relavent.

Sorry of course I know what GPRS is, I was not thinking. This will offer insufficient speeds for the sort of work I need to do which involves a lot of web surfing. I would need a minimum of a 256k connnection and would prefer at least double that.

Hi Adagio,

Yes the GPRS isn't the fastest way to access the internet at about 55kbps, but it is proving very reliable.

Since ipstar went unlimited my GPRS is way faster and always works.ipstar is now giving me average download speeds of 2kbps!!This is crap as its supposed to be broadband 256.Except very early morning 5am-7.30 am when I can sometimes get the speed up to 10kbps.

GPRS is great for emailing,msn messenger, and surfing the net.For up/downloading large files it is slow.

ADSL is due to arrive on the island sometime in December so will give an update of prices,speeds and reliability when it has been installed.