Thaksin Rules Out Serving Jail Term

webfact

Thaksin rules out serving jail term

By The Nation

30160603-01.jpg

In his latest interview, former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has ruled out serving jail term, saying he will have to "stand for justice" by not accepting 'unfair' legal action against him.

Speaking to Thai PBS in a special interview aired Monday night, Thaksin said he was not fighting for himself but for the justice system as a whole.

"I stand for justice," Thaksin said, using the English words in his Thai-language interview.

He said he could not accept the two-year jail term against him because he regarded that case was unfair for him from the beginning.

The Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Office ruled that Thaksin had abused his authority to help his ex-wife, Kunying Pojaman na Pomphet, buy a Ratchadapisek land prom.

"The case was not fair from the beginning," Thaksin said. "They made my political opponents the investigators against me. And the investigative panel was set up with an order by the coup makers, who toppled me."

Thaksin said he had actually been punished by having to live in exile for over five years.

When the interviewer asked him about what he thought his mistakes during his two terms as the prime minister, Thaksin apologised to Muslims in the southern border provinces for having using violence in dealing with violence in the deep South.

"When we are in power for a long time, sometimes we may use power too much," Thaksin said.

He said he was sorry for having resorted to violence in his attempts to return peace to the region.

During the interview, Thaksin mostly focused on the reconciliation.

He said he would follow the example of former rebel leader and former South Africa President Nelson Mandela to use sports as a tool to bring about reconciliation and unity in Thailand.

Thaksin said Mandela used rugby as a sport to reunite the nation but he would use the campaign to push Thai national football team as a campaign to create unity in the country.

Thaksin said he, as a victim, would be the one to start reconciliation.

He said he has already forgiven his political enemies.

When the interviewer asked him how could he have forgotten his enemies after they had done so much against him, Thaksin replied that he has learnt the way of detachment.

"Life is so short so why should we remain angry against each other," Thaksin said.

He said he was ready to show he had forgiven his enemies by inviting all of his enemies to have coffee with him in Dubai.

"I'll pay for their coffee. Let them meet me here," Thaksin said.

He said he was ready to meet both former Army chief Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin and People's Alliance for Democracy co-leader Sondhi Limthongkul for a coffer session in Dubai.

He denied that Sondhi had already met him or talked to him over the phone.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-19

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Self exile, with a private jet, cooks and serving staff, chauffeurs,

international travel, and his OWN PERSONAL ISLAND...

and what ever he wants, EXCEPT coming back to Thailand.

Most issan people would be ecstatic just to live in his bathrooms.

Hell, living in his cars would be an improvement for many.

The guy is an ego maniac and has no connection with the real Thai people.

Maybe in jail he might actually meet some.

Edited by animatic

In all honesty what he says about bringing sport mainly football to the forefront of reconciliation is a good idea because since me being a South African myself it really worked in a way that there is alot less racist people in South Africa

"They made my political opponents the investigators against me. And the investigative panel was set up with an order by the coup makers, who toppled me."

Of course anyone that would investigate him for wrong doing is automatically his political enemy. The investigative panels were set up after he was removed because they couldn't be set up while he had power, he was removed partly because he blocked investigations into his doings.

Of course his mindset is this way, doesn't make it correct nor logical,

just what HE wants it to be. And as JD notes, any time served prevents him from being MP and thus PM. This was the likely next move. But he throws it out there for all to see before Lil Sis even has her seat yet. What a prat.

Edited by animatic

In all honesty what he says about bringing sport mainly football to the forefront of reconciliation is a good idea because since me being a South African myself it really worked in a way that there is alot less racist people in South Africa

I disagree, but I have been known to wrong and/or naive.

So when do people think he will be back?

I think the question is when will he be able to return safely. That very well be in 1-2 years IF PTP does a decent job, or never ....

I am not a big conspiracy theorist, but how likely is it that someone doesn't kill him if he pushes for an early return? Thus, I think it all depends on those things we can't openly discuss and absolutely not because of the involvement of some really important people, but because of "what comes next" is just so unclear.......

I thought it was up to the courts to rule out your jail term, or not? At least that's how it works in countries that aren't BANANA REPUBLICS.

I thought the US president could pardon people, and that aint no banana republic. I think there have been a number of political type pardons too. Anyway it isnt unheard of that the polity can undo a charge or court decision.

Quote: He said he was ready to meet both former Army chief Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin and People's Alliance for Democracy co-leader Sondhi Limthongkul for a coffer session in Dubai. End Quote

Yep, it doesn't surprise me.

I thought it was up to the courts to rule out your jail term, or not? At least that's how it works in countries that aren't BANANA REPUBLICS.

I thought the US president could pardon people, and that aint no banana republic. I think there have been a number of political type pardons too. Anyway it isnt unheard of that the polity can undo a charge or court decision.

Normally, overturning a court decision regarding your *own* interests is regarded as an abuse of power. Let's not forget who *owns* PTP.

I assume you know who pardons and how/when pardons are given in Thailand.

Of course those pardons happen AFTER conviction and time served,

and don't necessarily reinstall election rights.

And they don't stop all PENDING legal trials and charges.

He clearly expect to have enough power for blanket immunity from EVERYTHING.

But somehow I doubt he has immunity from segments of the populace that fear

his return to his old form to carry on where he left off.

As JD said

"That very well be in 1-2 years IF PTP does a decent job, or never ...."

Ides of March maybe? Let's see how fast his ego swells after sis is in office.

If he plans on coming for the December wedding,

I hope to be far, far away from that party.

"When we are in power for a long time, sometimes we may use power too much," Thaksin said.

I'm not sure if that means when you are in power for a long time you are allowed to use power too much.

though, in context he was asked about his mistakes... an admission of guilt? after all, he was found guilty of abusing his authority.

well it's been translated, maybe it gained or lost some meaning there somewhere.

Normally, overturning a court decision regarding your *own* interests is regarded as an abuse of power. Let's not forget who *owns* PTP.

Then again this is what he thought he could do under PP Samak / Sondhi...

Didn't go as planned, and no coup.

But when the going got tough the <deleted> got on the road,

I'm not sure if that means when you are in power for a long time you are allowed to use power too much.

though, in context he was asked about his mistakes... an admission of guilt? after all, he was found guilty of abusing his authority.

well it's been translated, maybe it gained or lost some meaning there somewhere.

Closest he has ever come to admitting he overreached grandly

and stepped on too many toes, right up to the uvulas.

Edited by animatic

my read is a 12 month turboed giveaway everything looks great period from PT, and then an election called with the pretext of the banned 111 returning into the fold.

An attempt to get to about 350 MPs, at which point PT will push through a bill to basically wipe the slate clean for all coup related activities which will boil down to slate clean....for him.

It's pretty obvious where this is going and where it has to go for him to return.

Regarding pardons, he could be granted a pardon already by now had he:

- shown that he accepted the court's decision

- served some time (1 day even, similar length of time as his daughter worked in McDonalds)

and perhaps

- done a private deal to show guilt and thereafter be forgiven on the extra charges

Given he already lied on retiring from politics (Jan/Feb 2006, leading to the illegal snap election which he called to be able to reinstate himself at great personal expense - election campaigning is expensive even when running unopposed with fabricated opposition) I doubt the people who matter on both sides of the fence completely trust anything he says.

I don't however doubt that he believes he is completely innocent. That's how this family runs things.

my read is a 12 month turboed giveaway everything looks great period from PT, and then an election called with the pretext of the banned 111 returning into the fold.

An attempt to get to about 350 MPs, at which point PT will push through a bill to basically wipe the slate clean for all coup related activities which will boil down to slate clean....for him.

It's pretty obvious where this is going and where it has to go for him to return.

Regarding pardons, he could be granted a pardon already by now had he:

- shown that he accepted the court's decision

- served some time (1 day even, similar length of time as his daughter worked in McDonalds)

and perhaps

- done a private deal to show guilt and thereafter be forgiven on the extra charges

Given he already lied on retiring from politics (Jan/Feb 2006, leading to the illegal snap election which he called to be able to reinstate himself at great personal expense - election campaigning is expensive even when running unopposed with fabricated opposition) I doubt the people who matter on both sides of the fence completely trust anything he says.

I don't however doubt that he believes he is completely innocent. That's how this family runs things.

The timing and plan look realistic and with the Democrats in disarray, it will likely be easy enough to pull off. Reselecting Abhisit pretty much keeps PTP where it is today and a bunch of populism supported by the return of some 111 big hitters and a couple of rounds of civil servant changes and with Newin no doubt baying to let back in 350 could be an underestimate

He said he could not accept the two-year jail term against him because he regarded that case was unfair for him from the beginning.

I'm sure every person ever convicted of a crime and sentenced to jail would say it wasn't fair!

If Thaksin wants any return to "public life" (to serve in parliament or as an MP) he cannot accept ANY jail time.

I think you have it. And I don't think his ambition is limited to being a mere MP. BTW does anyone know what happens if a party-list MP retires or falls under a bus? Does the next eligible candidate on the party list get the seat, or is the party free to assign it to whoever they like?

If Thaksin wants any return to "public life" (to serve in parliament or as an MP) he cannot accept ANY jail time.

I think you have it. And I don't think his ambition is limited to being a mere MP. BTW does anyone know what happens if a party-list MP retires or falls under a bus? Does the next eligible candidate on the party list get the seat, or is the party free to assign it to whoever they like?

The next one on the list gets it unless the party has been dissolved when nobody then gets it.

Likening himself to Nelson Mandela :lol:

Unbelievable; a man who spent 26 years in jail and this guy "rules out serving jail term," too bad Mandela didn't have that option.

Mr. Thaksin I think you must be delusional :blink: I feel sorry for those who swallow the tripe you spew...

The scary thing is this guy probably really thinks he is a saint :bah:

Self exile, with a private jet, cooks and serving staff, chauffeurs,

international travel, and his OWN PERSONAL ISLAND...

and what ever he wants, EXCEPT coming back to Thailand.

Most issan people would be ecstatic just to live in his bathrooms.

Hell, living in his cars would be an improvement for many.

The guy is an ego maniac and has no connection with the real Thai people.

Maybe in jail he might actually meet some.

Thaksin's statement: In his latest interview, former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has ruled out serving jail term, saying he will have to "stand for justice" by not accepting 'unfair' legal action against him.

So of course he'll demand that all the people involved in his drug war and the tak bai suffocation incident, and more, are immediately given full process of justice, and he'll ensure that it's obvious that nobody can interfere, to show that he is totally genuine on this point and to show that there are no double standards.

It's always about 'me' with this guy.