Government Clamp Down

morphious

Been noticing that the last 10 days or so there are more and more road blocs and check points beeing inforced around the place, not just the usual darkside pull over points but full suk rd drive through checks. The wife says the new government will go back to the old taksin ways of zero tolerance for crime, drugs etc and this is just the start with 100% helmet wearing and driving licences. I have been stopped 4 times in the last 3 days and only once in the last 4 years. Be warned if you have no licences, the fines are being reported as very heavy not just the usual 300 baht and on your way. :(

I was stopped on Sukhumvit about two weeks ago. It was a sophisticated operation, the authorities were all dressed in nice orange jumpsuits and had arraigned orange cones to make it seem like a construction work zone. It wasn't until the very last second, as they corralled all the motorcycles to an area off the highway, that I became aware that it was a highway police checkpoint. The were professional and asked only for my license and I was on my way. It seemed that most of the people getting busted were Thais, probably for minor offenses, as it was the middle of the day.

Don't believe it has anything to do with the new government as these posters showing

100% helmet wearing have been around a month before the elections.

Also don't think the new government is up and running yet.

More than likely the bib doing some low season fund raising.

300 Baht? you must be paying the Farang price, show them your Thai license and it's only 100 Baht.

You pay 100 baht fine when you actually have a licence, hmmmm????

yes, i have noticed it as well.. they are literally everywhere and anywhere :realangry: funny enough i was near Siam country railway crossroads last week having a few drinks observing the checkpoint and saw a few Thai's zipping through with the police taking no action except go back to his comrades waving his book.... anyway, i have decided to take the same action (where appropriate) and have driven straight through these checkpoints unobstructed.. latest being this evening as i was after consuming probably 7-8 bottles of beer (small).. obviously ok to drive but would warrant a fine from the BIB once they get the alcohol fumes <_<

yes, i have noticed it as well.. they are literally everywhere and anywhere :realangry: funny enough i was near Siam country railway crossroads last week having a few drinks observing the checkpoint and saw a few Thai's zipping through with the police taking no action except go back to his comrades waving his book.... anyway, i have decided to take the same action (where appropriate) and have driven straight through these checkpoints unobstructed.. latest being this evening as i was after consuming probably 7-8 bottles of beer (small).. obviously ok to drive but would warrant a fine from the BIB once they get the alcohol fumes <_<

proud of it?

proud of it?

That was my reaction too...boasting about driving on a public road while drunk or close to it :(