Coney Island Chili Dog At Butter Is Better

butterisbetter

Butter is Better isnow offering our all-beef hot dogs topped with Coney Island Chili. What is Coney Island Chili? Well, if you have to ask, then you're inexactly the same state of ignorance I was until about a week ago. I knew of it but had never eaten it. Now Ican tell you it's a tangy, made withground beef, but has no chile pepper or beans of any kind. It might be a bit intense to eat on its own,but it complements the flavor of our hot dogs perfectly.

Coney Island, Chilli Dogs....must have onions and cheese, super sonic etc,.............geez B is B this is tough for us Brits and I can see that I need to bring along my Brit/USA food dictionary on future visits to reap the full benefit!

I just love trying all this new (to me) stuff. smile.gif

Sounds good.

Will you be selling them at Nim City?

BTW I wanted to let you know that I now shop at your Nim City branch as I don't get approached by your staff while I am window shoppng.

Well done for implementing the change, just eaten a chocolate pudding I brought there on Monday. You now have a happy customer who will be repeat buying, I would have got my usual apple pie but it was all gone :(

Anyway well done BIB

thai pauly.

re ... BTW I wanted to let you know that I now shop at your Nim City branch as I don't get approached by your staff while I am window shoppng

the little lovely didnt come to see me when i was there for a lemon one of these

but she was watching me like a hawk while i took this pic : )

enjoy ... dave2 .

post-42592-0-76393100-1311147426_thumb.j

post-42592-0-51831700-1311147678_thumb.j

In the old B/W movies I always heard things like "you wanna get a coney island and a knee high?"

But I had no idea what they were talking about, so I'm happy to be hearing about these foods and actually able to try them.

I still don't know what a 'knee high' is.......do you have them Mr. B is B?

I had a chili dog there the other day it was delicious.The only down side was I ordered with onions and forgot to get the cheese. I like my onions lightly sauteed. The manager suggested I try the Conney island I came back the next day and it was even better than the chili dog. Of course by this time I had half smartened up and ordered it without the onions but as I said only half smartened up I forgot the cheese. I will be going back to correct that oversight.

Hard to imagine it can get better.

Edited by hellodolly

I had a chili dog there the other day it was delicious.The only down side was I ordered with onions and forgot to get the cheese. I like my onions lightly sauteed. The manager suggested I try the Conney island I came back the next day and it was even better than the chili dog. Of course by this time I had half smartened up and ordered it without the onions but as I said only half smartened up I forgot the cheese. I will be going back to correct that oversight.

Hard to imagine it can get better.

I better write this down - I want the real deal. cool.gif

uptheos.

re .. I still don't know what a 'knee high' is

will these do ?

just joshin mods ... its raining : (

dave2

dave 2 - you're beginning to lower your standards mate.

I was banking that if I mentioned I didn't know what a 'knee high' is, you would come up with the goods......disappointing sad.gif

About time you checked and updated your inventory! biggrin.gif

Edited by uptheos

In the old B/W movies I always heard things like "you wanna get a coney island and a knee high?"

But I had no idea what they were talking about, so I'm happy to be hearing about these foods and actually able to try them.

Nehi grape was always my favorite.

David

Nehi grape was always my favorite.

David

Thanks David - you see how much I know, I thought it was spelled 'knee high' and could never quite figure out what it might be.huh.gif

barnaclebob.

re .. Can someone please post maps on where the Butter is Better locations are?

here ya go .

the green arrow is the nim city branch of airport plaza rimping

the blue ... is the chang clan road branch

enjoy ... dave2

post-42592-0-33779000-1311167580_thumb.j

post-42592-0-71944300-1311167620_thumb.j

post-42592-0-19569200-1311167659_thumb.j

White! Do you think that Mr. Butter is Better would desecrate a genuine Coney Island Chilli Dog with a whole wheat bun? :o

Speaking of buns, ... .... . wait, lost my train of thought here... eh, speaking of buns, why do burger and hot dog buns have to be so horribly mushy? I realize that's how it is, but wouldn't they be genuinely better on proper bread with some crust and structure to it?

White! Do you think that Mr. Butter is Better would desecrate a genuine Coney Island Chilli Dog with a whole wheat bun? :o

I dunno, one minute he's 100% whole wheat, next he's loading the fats and calories.......I just don't know what to make of him.

One thing is for sure, he gives you plenty of variety. jap.gif

...I realize that's how it is, but wouldn't they be genuinely better on proper bread with some crust and structure to it?

In general no. The bread usually slightly covers up the taste of the more important ingredients.

I have tasted gourmet burgers with better bread that were really great, but the places that can pull it off are far and few between even in Western countries. IMHO, it is better to stick with traditional wonderbread buns in places where burgers are not so common.

barnaclebob.

re .. Can someone please post maps on where the Butter is Better locations are?

here ya go .

the green arrow is the nim city branch of airport plaza rimping

the blue ... is the chang clan road branch

enjoy ... dave2

Beautiful map and thank you Dave 2, I think I will be having a Coney Island Chili dog tomorrow.

...I realize that's how it is, but wouldn't they be genuinely better on proper bread with some crust and structure to it?

In general no. The bread usually slightly covers up the taste of the more important ingredients.

I have tasted gourmet burgers with better bread that were really great, but the places that can pull it off are far and few between even in Western countries. IMHO, it is better to stick with traditional wonderbread buns in places where burgers are not so common.

Irish Pub would be a reasonable example of a more elaborate burger served on more interesting bread.. (they bake it themselves). I think it's call the Irish Pub Burger or some such. It's pretty obscene, but does come on a proper bread bun. ;)

Irish Pub would be a reasonable example of a more elaborate burger served on more interesting bread.. (they bake it themselves). I think it's call the Irish Pub Burger or some such. It's pretty obscene, but does come on a proper bread bun. ;)

The "bread" is not supposed to be noticeable.

Even better than the "mushy" white bread that hot dogs usually come with, and certainly better than whole wheat or "interesting" bread, would be a roll made with potato flour. Still soft, but with a slightly sweeter taste and it won't get in the way of the taste of the hot dog. Common in the US, but I don't know of anywhere in Thailand doing potato bread.

Actually, we have made our own hamburger buns and hot dog buns. And I have eaten upscale buns elsewhere, too. The trouble is, they have too much flavor. It's like when you're trying to have a conversation with another adult and this bratty kid keeps on interrupting the flow and screaming "Isn't my crust chewy? Taste my how open my crumb is!. Admire my structure. Daddyyyyyy!!!!". Here's what I tell him."Shut up junior. I need to pay close attention to what Ms. Burger or Mr. Frankfurter are trying to tell me. You just soak up those delicious juices and be quiet!!! And by the way, have you ever considered running away from home?"

Actually, we have made our own hamburger buns and hot dog buns. And I have eaten upscale buns elsewhere, too. The trouble is, they have too much flavor. It's like when you're trying to have a conversation with another adult and this bratty kid keeps on interrupting the flow and screaming "Isn't my crust chewy? Taste my how open my crumb is!. Admire my structure. Daddyyyyyy!!!!". Here's what I tell him."Shut up junior. I need to pay close attention to what Ms. Burger or Mr. Frankfurter are trying to tell me. You just soak up those delicious juices and be quiet!!! And by the way, have you ever considered running away from home?"

:lol: +1. Nice one. ;)

Ok, understand. In that case though I think I would prefer not to have bread at all.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Ok, understand. In that case though I think I would prefer not to have bread at all.

You mean, you would prefer to hold your sausage directly in your hand?

Wouldn't that be a bit messy after a while?

You wouldn't believe how messy it gets after I've held my sausage in my hand after a while.

(Thought I'd smash that one in before someone else does. ;) )

But yeah, the last chilli dog I had was at some airport in the US, and even though it came with bread it was hyper messy nonetheless. So if the bread isn't supposed to add anything then I think I would like to enter the post-Neanderthal era and use a fork and spoon. (The spoon showing how native I went in Thailand, but a knife will do, too. ;) )

And, in my recent bread baking adventures I've been trying to get to hybrid forms of Thai breads and improve on them with Western influences. So one thing I've always been intregued by is the (usually pretty horrible) Thai buns that have a sausage baked right into them. I'm planning to do one with much better bread, and a much better sausage.

My other focus is green bread. I did one last week that was tropical raisin bread with Pandan-Coconut flavor and dried pineapple chunks. (Though more traditioanl cinnamon-raisin bread with Amaretto-soaked mulit colored raisins and walnuts did have the edge in popularity.. ;) ) Still it tasted great, but I didn't achieve bright green; probably due to using natural pandan leaves from the garden.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

:lol: +1. Nice one. ;)

By Jove Winnie I think you are on to some thing.

You mean, you would prefer to hold your sausage directly in your hand?

Wouldn't that be a bit messy after a while?

You wouldn't believe how messy it gets after I've held my sausage in my hand after a while.

(Thought I'd smash that one in before someone else does. ;) )

But yeah, the last chilli dog I had was at some airport in the US, and even though it came with bread it was hyper messy nonetheless. So if the bread isn't supposed to add anything then I think I would like to enter the post-Neanderthal era and use a fork and spoon. (The spoon showing how native I went in Thailand, but a knife will do, too. ;) )

And, in my recent bread baking adventures I've been trying to get to hybrid forms of Thai breads and improve on them with Western influences. So one thing I've always been intregued by is the (usually pretty horrible) Thai buns that have a sausage baked right into them. I'm planning to do one with much better bread, and a much better sausage.

My other focus is green bread. I did one last week that was tropical raisin bread with Pandan-Coconut flavor and dried pineapple chunks. (Though more traditioanl cinnamon-raisin bread with Amaretto-soaked mulit colored raisins and walnuts did have the edge in popularity.. ;) )

When you are holding your sausage in your had do you prefer to have regular chilli or Connie Island chilli in your hand?

( Thought I would smash that one in before some one else does )

Actually, the bun problem is easily solvable. We are a bakery, after all. A customer can substitute any kind of sliced bread for the buns. Your choices would include 100% whole wheat, 7 grain bread, deli rye with caraway seeds, multigrain whole wheat hearth bread (also known as 7 grain whole wheat bread), and..tada!!.. white bread. We also have challah and gluten free bread, but their shape would make it difficult to accomnodate hamburgers or hot dogs. Actually, there is a restaurant chain called Friendly's in the NE United States that serves its burgers on toast. Or at least, it used to. So no one needs to grapple barehanded with our burgers or hot dogs. Unless he or she wants to.