Foreigners That Just 'Exist' In Thailand

hotandhumid

You know the types, they watch every penny, wear the same shirts for years, only drink in happy hours, stay alone because they don't want to spend money on a girlfriend, eat off the road, never take any trips, live in small rooms with no cable tv, go on overstay, etc etc..

My question to these types is (and you know who you are) why do you do it?? Is life back in the real world really that bad? If my 'life' was like that I would call it a day and go home and rebuild before it's too late..

Thoughts?

Edited by hotandhumid

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most on the low state pension have little choice.

Bedsit and cold damp weather in west.

Here no need to heat room, food cheap and plenty.

Internet and Tv available, same as west.

Why not here?

What you think person 50+ with no skill to do in west to make money?

No jobs.

Edited by OlafStapleton

There's a type of farang, often with a thai working girl on his arm, that throws money at everything. This type of farang doesn't know how to speak Thai, his girlfriend translates for him so he has this warped view on the world he lives in. He is basically buying his way through life.

There is another type who works here and pays the going rate for everything, speaks some of the language and muddles through life happy

There is the balloon chaser who is at the end of the dream. Money running out. Looking at the balcony.

The farang that has decided to become a monk and renounced all material possesions.

Then there is the farang that looks at all the other farangs and decideds he is better than all the above.

Then theres the farang that has been living in Thailand so long that he doesn't bother to catergorize others.

Which one are you?

Howard Hughes spent 4 months in one room, living on chocolate bars and milk, and relieving himself in the empty cartons. At the time he was the richest man in that country.

Who's to say why people do what they do?

Whilst I'm not Howard Hughes I am quite well off. But I also live alone and eat Thai food in the street for 20B. You wouldnt believe how little I paid for my entire wardrobe and how long it lasts me. And I buy my one daily beer in the supermarket and drink it for free on a bench on Beach Rd, because I enjoy the view.

I do however have aircon and cable TV, and my retirement visa extension is in order, based on 800K in the bank.

I find my life here very pleasant, and spending 10 times as much money every day would not make it better at all. In fact it would probably make it much worse.

Howard Hughes spent 4 months in one room, living on chocolate bars and milk, and relieving himself in the empty cartons. At the time he was the richest man in that country.

Whilst I'm not Howard Hughes I am quite well off. But I also live alone and eat Thai food in the street for 20B. You wouldnt believe how little I paid for my entire wardrobe and how long it lasts me. And I buy my one daily beer in the supermarket and drink it for free on a bench on Beach Rd, because I enjoy the view.

I do however have aircon and cable TV, and my retirement visa extension is in order, based on 800K in the bank.

I find my life here very pleasant, and spending 10 times as much money every day would not make it better at all. In fact it would probably make it much worse.

Agree. Some of my most enjoyable days in Thailand I've spent nothing at all....some even when the rain is falling hard all day.

Whatever makes you happy....I can't imagine anything worse than parading around bars all day with a Thai girl with whom I can't converse and anyway finished her schooling at 10. Been there done that.

Its fun to watch the cycle of meet marry divorce then become tight as hell before returning home destitute....I find that amusing.....doesn't happen to everyone though....make ALL of your choices in life with eyes open and do whatever you enjoy.

This is my point, that is just an existance.

There's a type of farang, often with a thai working girl on his arm, that throws money at everything. This type of farang doesn't know how to speak Thai, his girlfriend translates for him so he has this warped view on the world he lives in. He is basically buying his way through life.

There is another type who works here and pays the going rate for everything, speaks some of the language and muddles through life happy

There is the balloon chaser who is at the end of the dream. Money running out. Looking at the balcony.

The farang that has decided to become a monk and renounced all material possesions.

Then there is the farang that looks at all the other farangs and decideds he is better than all the above.

Then theres the farang that has been living in Thailand so long that he doesn't bother to catergorize others.

Which one are you?

I thought I was bigotted but you seem to have enough stereotypes for all of us!

I reckon I score about five, is that good?

Thanks!

SC

We all have to exist somewhere

(Sorry to be so philosophical, and I am not trying to enact a Proustian hijack!)

I think you would be better off wondering about other things. There are many ways a person can be happy. If you can't work out why some people can exist happily, then maybe it is YOU who have the problem

Some people just want what they have, whether living in a trailer park in the US or the outback of Australia. That's life everyone is different. I choose to live in the jungles of Issan, now if I was a millionaire my choice may well be to live in a villa in the med, but not an option. Jim

You should see the clothes i wear in and around the house you would swear i was poor. Not making the money that i am.

I eat street food let my wife pay her share in the house. I love my life. Spending money does not make one happier. Your mood does and your health does.

My dad makes loads of money and he looks bad in the clothes he chooses. Just because they are comfortable. He does not attach value to clothes or looks.

Why should everyone be like you, your last topic about not traveling in Thailand.. utter BS just like this one.

Spending money does not make you happier. (though i love my new fishing gear or my computers). Its how you enjoy yourself. Some people are quite happy looking at a piece of scenery sipping a beer. Others feel miserable drinking the most expensive wine in a high price club.

You keep on judging others on your standards.. grow up accept that we are not all the same.

Which one are you?

Thanks!

SC

SC,

Could you not see that I was taking the yellow water?

Five is average,

GFL.

Which one are you?

Thanks!

SC

SC,

Could you not see that I was taking the yellow water?

Five is average,

GFL.

It's all we've got left, and still you take the piss. How heartless can you be?

SC

If its any use I.m more blue than orange, I;m colour-blind and I still won;t reelinquish my bigotries

SC

This topic seems awfully familiar. As if something almost identical has very recently been posted. And rather sort of designed to insult people if I am not mistaken.

You know the types, they watch every penny, wear the same shirts for years, only drink in happy hours, stay alone because they don't want to spend money on a girlfriend, eat off the road, never take any trips, live in small rooms with no cable tv, go on overstay, etc etc..

My question to these types is (and you know who you are) why do you do it?? Is life back in the real world really that bad? If my 'life' was like that I would call it a day and go home and rebuild before it's too late..

Thoughts

My initial thought is, "what the hell business it of yours how other people live their lives".

Thoughts

My initial thought is, "what the hell business it of yours how other people live their lives".

Oh I see. So we can only discuss stuff that is our own business then?

Right.

This topic seems awfully familiar. As if something almost identical has very recently been posted. And rather sort of designed to insult people if I am not mistaken.

That seems like a cruel and unsubstantiated allegation, You are lucky we are blessed with such tolerant moderators, or you would be off on a cliff richards for s

SC

Thoughts

Right.

Preferrably, but barring that it's probably also a good idea not to make judgements about others when you have absolutely no understanding of them or their lives.

That seems like a cruel and unsubstantiated allegation, You are lucky we are blessed with such tolerant moderators, or you would be off on a cliff richards for s

SC

Hey! I got that one!

Thoughts

Right.

I suppose they could all go home and spend 30 years stacking supermarket shelves or digging ditches but then would they be any happier as a result?

Robbing banks or selling drugs might see a quicker return I'd think mind you some of us simply aren't risk takers.

I would suppose OP could get a more substantial answer regarding different values towards living out of the Thai monks, who rather do seem to 'just exist,' but that might be part of the point.

In any case, I occasionally do see people who don't seem to be enjoying their lives here. If they are friends I might try to give them advice to help. Occasionally they are in a mental trap where they have 'decided' that 'the way things are' about 'reality' mean they have no choices. Frequently they are quite smug and self-righteous about this, which helps keep them from making, or even seeing, more responsible options. If they are in this trap I simply try to avoid them because they are headed down by their own choice (and tend to resent the relative success of others in 'escaping' their 'reality'). Such persons usually enjoy trying to set themselves up as better than others to enhance the 'smugness' value of their delusions. The worst cases surround themselves with people worse off than they are in order to maintain their illusions.

Many people think that money=happiness, whereas in fact, money=money and happiness=happiness. I think that's why there are different words for them.

Some people spend all their lives, in whatever country they live, having to be careful about how much money they spend. Others can spend as much as they want. Some in either category will be happy, some not.

<br />I would suppose OP could get a more substantial answer regarding different values towards living out of the Thai monks, who rather do seem to 'just exist,' but that might be part of the point.<br /><br />In any case, I occasionally do see people who don't seem to be enjoying their lives here.  If they are friends I might try to give them advice to help.  Occasionally they are in a mental trap where they have 'decided' that 'the way things are' about 'reality' mean they have no choices.  Frequently they are quite smug and self-righteous about this, which helps keep them from making, or even seeing, more responsible options.  If they are in this trap I simply try to avoid them because they are headed down by their own choice (and tend to resent the relative success of others in 'escaping' their 'reality').  Such persons usually enjoy trying to set themselves up as better than others to enhance the 'smugness' value of their delusions.  The worst cases surround themselves with people worse off than they are in order to maintain their illusions.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Maybe you misunderstood the OP. He made absolutely no references to a person's lifestyle except for how much money they spend and the quality of life that could be derived from that.

Many people think that money=happiness, whereas in fact, money=money and happiness=happiness. I think that's why there are different words for them.

Some people spend all their lives, in whatever country they live, having to be careful about how much money they spend. Others can spend as much as they want. Some in either category will be happy, some not.

Amen!

Thoughts

Right.

Oh, I understand them alright!

They are drifters without any meaning or purpose in life. Very unhappy people inside.

Preferrably, but barring that it's probably also a good idea not to make judgements about others when you have absolutely no understanding of them or their lives.

I would suppose OP could get a more substantial answer regarding different values towards living out of the Thai monks, who rather do seem to 'just exist,' but that might be part of the point.

In any case, I occasionally do see people who don't seem to be enjoying their lives here. If they are friends I might try to give them advice to help. Occasionally they are in a mental trap where they have 'decided' that 'the way things are' about 'reality' mean they have no choices. Frequently they are quite smug and self-righteous about this, which helps keep them from making, or even seeing, more responsible options. If they are in this trap I simply try to avoid them because they are headed down by their own choice (and tend to resent the relative success of others in 'escaping' their 'reality'). Such persons usually enjoy trying to set themselves up as better than others to enhance the 'smugness' value of their delusions. The worst cases surround themselves with people worse off than they are in order to maintain their illusions.

My thoughts exactly. I had a few 'friends' like this who I now avoid. They have now basically given up on life and have accepted their fate and will try to drag you down with them.