Rain Water Guttering

harsu

I'm being lazy and asking for information rather than getting in the car and driving around.

Does anyone know where I can find guttering in town? I don't remember seeing it in Home Pro or SaHaPaibon(!) or in any of the smaller building places. I need something that will cope with waterflow coming off a gently sloping roof. Any ideas? Thanks, in advance, for your suggestions.

There are many shops that make the guttering, from galvanized steel, aluminum, stainless steel. If you need a recommendation, let me know.

A shop close by my house sells the pre-formed PVC style, white in color. She may be able to get other colors. I dunno. It is about six inches wide at the top opening.

Can build your own from the four and five inch blue water/drain pipe that is sold all over town. Split it down the middle, rough the outsides with sandpaper, paint it whatever color goes with your place. If it is roughed properly, the paint stays on. I use concrete paint. Stop by to see the end result. You know we have free coffee here.

If you don't have a way to split the pipe, come see me about that too. Easy stuff, about 60 seconds per four meter piece.

Edited by kandahar

We had to have some guttering on our house and the guys that came out, measured, prefabed it and then put it up was unbelievably inexpensive. Seems like it was as cheap or cheaper than if I had to go and find it all and then risk life and limb putting it up myself! I am sure it was the run of the mill quality....since it wasn't the space shuttle, I figured I did not need stainless. But even if it needs replacing a couple of years....it was/is still a good deal, as far as I'm concerned. Good luck, ett

We recently got guttering for our house.

The guy measured everything and came back a couple of days later with the lengths completed and made all the connections and downpipes on site.

The price worked out about 180 baht per metre but I believe this price has been increased to 200 baht per metre.

It looks like light aluminium.

If you need a number just let me know.

The guy measured everything and came back a couple of days later with the lengths completed and made all the connections and downpipes on site.

The price worked out about 180 baht per metre but I believe this price has been increased to 200 baht per metre.

we were quoted 200bht per mtr.for light alum.july 2011,but we already had the back of the house done in uvpc 500bht suplaid and fitted per mtr.

Thanks very much everyone, we'll check out Home thingy again, then the hardware shop Kandahar suggested near Den Ha first of all. If we can't see what we need, we'll maybe need to p.m for phone numbers - though T. is very taken with the idea of blue water pipe.. We'll let you know what we find and any prices. Ta.

we were quoted 200bht per mtr.for light alum.july 2011,but we already had the back of the house done in uvpc 500bht suplaid and fitted per mtr.

@meatboy - Are you sure about aluminum? Aluminum tends to be about 8 X the price (per weight unit) of galvanized steel. And can't really be easily soldered as can light gauge galvanized steel.

Proper galvanizing is the key to longevity in steel. If properly galvanized it will last many years.

@Kandahar - I think I like your idea for split PVC .. how do you attach the downspouts? Will PVC glue hold without screws? For slitting, do you mount an angle grinder with a stone cutting blade in a vise and pull a length of PVC past it using a fixture?

@Kandahar - I think I like your idea for split PVC .. how do you attach the downspouts? Will PVC glue hold without screws? For slitting, do you mount an angle grinder with a stone cutting blade in a vise and pull a length of PVC past it using a fixture?

Wow! The Twitter world comes to me finally, as hard as I have tried to avoid it. I have never been @kandahar before. Was kind of hoping to avoid it until death.

To split the pipe you need the angle head grinder you mentioned and one of the stone cutting blades. Have someone hold one end of the pipe while you cut. It doesn't really try to move much if the blade is sharp. Just follow the line that you drew on it. Better to move the saw than to draw the pipe over that distance.

To get good equal, straight lines, lay the pipe against something that is straight and just scribe the line or find something about two inches tall and lay it against the pipe and do the same. Don't try to use a chalk line. You will end up with a curve in the center, no matter how tight you pull the line.

To rough the surface so the paint will stay on it, one good way is to use one of the little electric "palm" sanders. Just takes a couple of minutes to do the whole thing if you have a good, course (60 or 40 grit) sandpaper in the thing. Use concrete paint, and if you can, use the actual roof tile concrete paint. It has some "plastic" properties in it that allows it to stretch and flex in the sunlight and on hot days and it doesn't crack or peel loose. That style of paint is a bit expensive but it holds the color in sunlight, doesn't absorb moisture and goes on easy. Instructions on some of the brands call for cutting it with a bit of water but don't. It is perfect without water. Clean up for yourself and your brushes is done with water and is quick if you haven't waited a long time to do it.

Downspouts are just a pipe elbow, fitted to the gutter and then the downspout pipe. All is the blue PVC pipe. Maybe can use glue only but silicon caulking in the joints, and a couple of screws through the thing hold it just fine. Pre-drill the outer piece of pipe slightly oversized and then run the screw thought that hole into the inner piece. Make sure you cut the screw to length if it is too long or it will catch debris in the pipe as the water runs through it. Self tapper screws work fine once you have pre-drilled the outer piece. You can use the same self-tapper screw over and over, backing it out each time and running in a cut off screw afterwards. They have the self-tappers in Phillips drive head or hex head but the Phillips looks better because it recesses into the PVC.

You will do many meters of nice looking gutter for the cost of one meter of the pre-formed PVC commercial style.

Edited by kandahar

I'm not a big fan of PVC gutter etc, it doesn't take the sun well.

Having said that it's easy to work with, it can be cut with a hand wood saw and if the correct glue is used the join is very strong.

I think galvanised steel guttering would last for decades up here, it's only in coastal areas where it tends to corrode. Colour bond steel is even better, the paint virtually impenetrable.

I speak, of course, only from personal experience which includes 30 years in the building industry a lot working with roof workers and have also re-roofed and guttered several properties I owned myself.

I wouldn't recommend anyone without tradesman's experience attempting to do it themselves.

Edited by sceadugenga

Having said that it's easy to work with, it can be cut with a hand wood saw and if the correct glue is used the join is very strong.

I think galvanised steel guttering would last for decades up here, it's only in coastal areas where it tends to corrode. Colour bond steel is even better, the paint virtually impenetrable.

I speak, of course, only from personal experience which includes 30 years in the building industry a lot working with roof workers and have also re-roofed and guttered several properties I owned myself.

I wouldn't recommend anyone without tradesman's experience attempting to do it themselves.

Excellent recommendation there, Sceadugenga. I second that, not that it needs it or anything. ett

Excellent recommendation there, Sceadugenga. I second that, not that it needs it or anything. ett

It IS a good recommendation. However, getting quality galvanizing in this country is tough. And even tougher, is getting any kind of steel with a decent bonded paint. I am used to being able to buy 20 and 30 year guaranteed painted roofing steel. 20 year paint is the standard, or was, when I Ieft the old country. We bought new painted roofing steel here recently and the guarantee is for as long as it takes to get it onto your truck. Was told we could get higher quality painted steel in BKK but the price would cause heart failure.

We found the same thing with getting anything chrome plated here in the north. It can be done but they tell you, if you want a good chrome job, it will have to be sent to BKK and have a corresponding increase in the price.

Edited by kandahar

How are you guys getting such cheap guttering? My mate in BKK was quoted 1,000 baht per metre for aluminium and I was quoted 700 baht per metre for PVC

Some of the guttering here is pretty expensive and top notch stuff. Most is really cheap materials and not installed for really long-term performance. Hopefully, the people you are dealing with are selling the best quality and doing the install correctly. You can find plenty of guttering around here that is falling down or was installed so it catches only half of the rain. I watched the guttering on a house fill up recently and start running over the wrong end. The guttering wasn't installed sloping towards the downspout. It was installed sloping away from the downspout. Made me laugh. But it wasn't my house.

A friend had really nice stainless installed several years ago. Now he has several places where it is sagging in the middle and that is where the water discharges, instead of running to the end. He is looking for someone to come re-install it all and that is two story, two roofs. And of course, when it was originally installed, the downspouts on the upper roof discharged onto the lower roof, instead of being piped to the ground, so, everywhere he has a down spout discharging onto the lower roof, there is a really ugly, wide algae stain on the roof tiles that runs all the way down to the next gutter.

Edited by kandahar

How are you guys getting such cheap guttering? My mate in BKK was quoted 1,000 baht per metre for aluminium and I was quoted 700 baht per metre for PVC

Some of the guttering here is pretty expensive and top notch stuff. Most is really cheap materials and not installed for really long-term performance. Hopefully, the people you are dealing with are selling the best quality and doing the install correctly. You can find plenty of guttering around here that is falling down or was installed so it catches only half of the rain. I watched the guttering on a house fill up recently and start running over the wrong end. The guttering wasn't installed sloping towards the downspout. It was installed sloping away from the downspout. Made me laugh. But it wasn't my house.

A friend had really nice stainless installed several years ago. Now he has several places where it is sagging in the middle and that is where the water discharges, instead of running to the end. He is looking for someone to come re-install it all and that is two story, two roofs. And of course, when it was originally installed, the downspouts on the upper roof discharged onto the lower roof, instead of being piped to the ground, so, everywhere he has a down spout discharging onto the lower roof, there is a really ugly, wide algae stain on the roof tiles that runs all the way down to the next gutter.

Yes, it is an international brand

It IS a good recommendation. However, getting quality galvanizing in this country is tough. And even tougher, is getting any kind of steel with a decent bonded paint. I am used to being able to buy 20 and 30 year guaranteed painted roofing steel. 20 year paint is the standard, or was, when I Ieft the old country. We bought new painted roofing steel here recently and the guarantee is for as long as it takes to get it onto your truck. Was told we could get higher quality painted steel in BKK but the price would cause heart failure.

We found the same thing with getting anything chrome plated here in the north. It can be done but they tell you, if you want a good chrome job, it will have to be sent to BKK and have a corresponding increase in the price.

I think the rule of thumb is, the less you pay to begin with the more often you replace.

I'm aware that the clear polish I put on my exterior timber is less than first grade so I reapply it regularly... the same is done with cheaply painted structures.

Why Westerners are so reluctant to do this is because they are used to paying western wages to tradesmen to do it.

I get a team in from the village every two or three years and it costs me about two hundred bucks including after work drinks.

go into any home mart store and price the windsor upvc guttering diy.600bht for 4mtr.lengths,all the clips down pipes,corners ect. you should be able to do it for arround 350bht mtr.or 500 done for you.

sending anything to bkk is no guarantee its going to be any better,a neighbour of ours sent new doors to be covered with an acrylic coating,2years down the line its all pealing off with no primer underneath and cost a bomb.so i would buy some good paints and do it yourself.

I think the rule of thumb is, the less you pay to begin with the more often you replace.

I'm aware that the clear polish I put on my exterior timber is less than first grade so I reapply it regularly... the same is done with cheaply painted structures.

Why Westerners are so reluctant to do this is because they are used to paying western wages to tradesmen to do it.

I get a team in from the village every two or three years and it costs me about two hundred bucks including after work drinks.

It is always a sad sight when I find a wood home that hasn't been taken care. I dunno why someone would go to the expense of building one and then not maintain it. If it isn't going to be maintained, just do concrete or vinyl siding. But it is always a joy to see a wood home that is many years old and is still looking like someone cares about it.

I think the only thing worse in that subject is finding a really nice, older log home that some nut has decided to apply new paint to, in some horrific color.

Many thanks to you all for your help and advice. To explain what we needed it for - a gentle sloping 3 metre bit of roof which doesn't throw off copious amounts of water, but needs remedying because it's: a, such a waste, and b, drips and splashes all over where we store the bikes, and for the front straight run of the car port where it runs off into the back of the pick-up converting it into a small swimming pool. Both areas are shaded for most of the day, so U.V damage is minimised.

The simplicity of the runs influenced our final decision after looking at your options. If we had a whole house to do, we'd get it made for us.

We went and visited the places suggested. Home mart had been re-vamped since we were last in there, and it had vinyl guttering and it had All the connections in stock!.. in total shock, we went ahead and bought the bits.

It was available in white or brown, make is Windsor.

3 metre run is 560B, down pipe (3 m) is 280B, With 5 of the 3 metre lengths, all the ends and connectors, things to hold it on the fascia, corner bit, downpipe hoppers, two downpipes, top guards,etc it came to 4,842B which seemed reasonable to us as it looks and feels substantial. Only time will tell!

CR forum is the best for advice. Thanks again

Edited by harsu

Many thanks to you all for your help and advice. To explain what we needed it for - a gentle sloping 3 metre bit of roof which doesn't throw off copious amounts of water, but needs remedying because it's: a, such a waste, and b, drips and splashes all over where we store the bikes, and for the front straight run of the car port where it runs off into the back of the pick-up converting it into a small swimming pool. Both areas are shaded for most of the day, so U.V damage is minimised.

The simplicity of the runs influenced our final decision after looking at your options. If we had a whole house to do, we'd get it made for us.

We went and visited the places suggested. Home mart had been re-vamped since we were last in there, and it had vinyl guttering and it had All the connections in stock!.. in total shock, we went ahead and bought the bits.

It was available in white or brown, make is Windsor.

3 metre run is 560B, down pipe (3 m) is 280B, With 5 of the 3 metre lengths, all the ends and connectors, things to hold it on the fascia, corner bit, downpipe hoppers, two downpipes, top guards,etc it came to 4,842B which seemed reasonable to us as it looks and feels substantial. Only time will tell!

CR forum is the best for advice. Thanks again

Thanks for the update.B)

harsu personely i think you made the right choice the windsor uvpc looks great,pity your up north because the fitter we use knows what he is doing,the amount of water that comes down the valleys on the front of the house the guttering takes it all,even the dog keeps dry in the nights.anyone in nakon ratchasima needs a good fitter[which is rare] pm me.