First Class Sleeper Train

CHANGOVER

I was going to book the Air Asia flight promo BKK - Penang or KL for my new multi non imm O

in November then thought why not 'try the train'?

Neither my Thai wife or I have ever been on a Thai train before so thought it would be an experience.

Whether it will be a good or bad experience is what I am asking. Has anyone tried this route

oh heard experiences of it?

I am hoping I will be able to get my Multi non O in Penang with the same paperwork I used last year in

KL (based on marriage/100k in bank/photocopies of ID, tambien ban etc) as it's closer.

Any help/advice appreciated.

(unable to edit the header to KL not LK)

Edited by CHANGOVER

I have done Bkk-Butterworth , Bkk- Hat Yai .many many times. I always travelled 2nd class Non-air.I love it .Great way to travel. I understand why you would prefer 1st class. Never tried it myself. I like a beer or two or a few ,so would often end up in the restaurant car. Normally would find some pleasant drinking companions. Your situation is different. 55555555.Be aware ,ALL the sleeper cars used to come off at Hat Yai.Check this, as they used to be cleaned and prepared for that nights run back to Bkk..1st class is fully air-con. Very comfortable ,I am told. Be warned - I love trains. Have travelled on every line in Thailand. If I remember around 10 of them, although only 5 lines run sleepers.They are Hua Lumphong to Butterworth ,Sungai Golok, Chiang Mai, Nong Khai and Ubon Ratchathani. From Nakhon Sawan ,there are at least 11 trains ,daily. Journey time about 3 hours 30 minutes. to 4 hours. Have fun-Enjoy

Believe 2nd class if better for most people (perhaps bunks longer in 1st but across carriage rolls you on every start/stop). As for Penang you may want to check that they will issue such a visa as KL is the only source that says they will do so for that 100k amount - believe Penang wants 400k

Not be averse to a few tipples myself I'd probably end up in the restaurant car too!

So about 4 hours to BKK then how long BKK to Butterworth and what price (tried checking and seems about 1200 but not sure) any idea?

Cheers

Believe 2nd class if better for most people (perhaps bunks longer in 1st but across carriage rolls you on every start/stop). As for Penang you may want to check that they will issue such a visa as KL is the only source that says they will do so for that 100k amount - believe Penang wants 400k

Thanks for that. Yes I asked Jim (at Jim's Place who does visa's in Penang) who's been recommended by some on TV who've received mult non imm O's using the 100k method. Have asked if it's GUARANTEED at Penang otherwise I'll go to KL again. Not sure about a train to KL tho'?

Not be averse to a few tipples myself I'd probably end up in the restaurant car too!

So about 4 hours to BKK then how long BKK to Butterworth and what price (tried checking and seems about 1200 but not sure) any idea?

Cheers

Best to get out at Hadyai and take the mini bus (bt300) to Penang. It will drop you off at your destination. Takes 2 1/2 - 3 hours whilst the train takes 5-6 hours to complete the journey and stops in Butterworth, Then you have to find a taxi to get you to Penang. Also 1st class sleepers are only available to Hadyai. Plenty of mini buses available at station in Haadyai . It is a nice trip. have done it many times. Prefer !st class because sometimes you get a lot of noisy people keeping you awake in 2nd class.

Cheers

Best to get out at Hadyai and take the mini bus (bt300) to Penang. It will drop you off at your destination. Takes 2 1/2 - 3 hours whilst the train takes 5-6 hours to complete the journey and stops in Butterworth, Then you have to find a taxi to get you to Penang. Also 1st class sleepers are only available to Hadyai. Plenty of mini buses available at station in Haadyai . It is a nice trip. have done it many times. Prefer !st class because sometimes you get a lot of noisy people keeping you awake in 2nd class.

If, as lopburi3 suggests, that Penang don't issue non imm O with 100k in the bank I would need to go to KL. Would I pick up a new train at HatYai to KL? Any idea of journey time BKK to KL?

Cheers

No problem getting a sleeper train in Malaysia. There is a Malaysian train does go from Hat Yai to ,at least Butterworth .Or there is a sleeper train that departs Butterworth for K.L.,, Never travelled on it myself ,as I had no problem getting what I needed from Penang, Love Indian food ,so spent a lot of time in "Little India"in Penang. Lovely !!!!

No problem getting a sleeper train in Malaysia. There is a Malaysian train does go from Hat Yai to ,at least Butterworth .Or there is a sleeper train that departs Butterworth for K.L.,, Never travelled on it myself ,as I had no problem getting what I needed from Penang, Love Indian food ,so spent a lot of time in "Little India"in Penang. Lovely !!!!

I agree, one reason I wanted to go to Penang. Much better than KL but if I can't get my visa there I need to go to KL.

So Nakhon Sawan - Bkk 4 hours, BKK - Hat Yai about 10 hours? Then HatYai to KL ? Any ideas for the whole trip?

Sounds right up your 'strasse' if you like trains :).

It will definitely be different and interesting. Depending how it goes we may fly back though...?

The only route so far that i've taken 1st class sleeper i9s from Bangkok to Udon thani.Good ride left around 8:30 at night .I believed arrived at udon around 9 the next morning.Slept most of the way.The biggest problem was they didn't want me going to t6he dining car.They wanted to get the food and bring it back to me.For A price I might add.Nice and comfortable.

FYI-There are no first-class sleepers through to Butterworth (Penang). They are taken off the train at Hat Yai. Same is true for the return trip (i.e. the first-class sleepers are added to the train at Hat Yai).

FYI-There are no first-class sleepers through to Butterworth (Penang). They are taken off the train at Hat Yai. Same is true for the return trip (i.e. the first-class sleepers are added to the train at Hat Yai).

If you had of read my post- number 2 ,I said that ALL sleeper cars come off at Hat Yai ,for cleaning and preparation for that nights run back to Bkk.. By the way ,ALL sleepers means not just first class but 2nd class also. Any forward passengers to Butterworth , travel in a 2nd class sitting carriage. That was why ,once I had learnt the ropes, I used to travel by minibus to Penang. The mini bus drops you at your Hotel. And picks up from the same drop off point.It is much simpler AND quicker than taking train ,right through to B.W..

Made the trip about 5 years ago. CAnt recall if it was 1st or 2nd class.I know it was aircon and they changed out seat into a sleeper at night. It was a nice experience. Almost every stop vendor come on hawking food and drinks. i did not know there was a rest car, would have liked to check that out. Just kept buying from the vendors. Cost I think was around 1K maybe a little more maybe a little less, think it was 1k each way. I need to go get a B visa, thinking about taking the train again, my wife i think would like the experience.

Wish you luck, Also I have heard good things about Jim, plan to use himself if I go to Penang.

Made the trip about 5 years ago. CAnt recall if it was 1st or 2nd class.I know it was aircon and they changed out seat into a sleeper at night. It was a nice experience. Almost every stop vendor come on hawking food and drinks. i did not know there was a rest car, would have liked to check that out. Just kept buying from the vendors. Cost I think was around 1K maybe a little more maybe a little less, think it was 1k each way. I need to go get a B visa, thinking about taking the train again, my wife i think would like the experience.

Wish you luck, Also I have heard good things about Jim, plan to use himself if I go to Penang.

Jim hasn't come back to me on whether a MULTI non Imm O is available prom Penang so I may fly to KL as I am sure of getting one there using the 100k in a Thai bank method whereas I think it's 400k in Penang. Do you know what Jim charges?

I'd prefer to be in Penang and fancy the rail trip but not if I can't get my visa.

There is train service onward to KL but check schedules as it was not a good connection when I last used them - and remember the Thai train is almost always late so you can not apply for visa the same day if doing yourself. I recall one trip we were so late they chartered a Malaysia train to run half way back from Butterworth to border and meet the Thai train for transfer of passengers in middle of nowhere just to get the return trip back close to schedule.

It is a very long ride and most at night so not very touristy. With current discount airlines it makes sense to use them - just as it made sense to fly domestic to Hat Yai and take share taxi or van from there years ago to avoid train/bus but keep costs reasonable.

There is train service onward to KL but check schedules as it was not a good connection when I last used them - and remember the Thai train is almost always late so you can not apply for visa the same day if doing yourself. I recall one trip we were so late they chartered a Malaysia train to run half way back from Butterworth to border and meet the Thai train for transfer of passengers in middle of nowhere just to get the return trip back close to schedule.

It is a very long ride and most at night so not very touristy. With current discount airlines it makes sense to use them - just as it made sense to fly domestic to Hat Yai and take share taxi or van from there years ago to avoid train/bus but keep costs reasonable.

Especially if not a guaranteed Visa in Penang. Royal Jordanian are 5600 and supply food but (!) no alcohol. I'm sure we can survive the trip though <_<

Especially if not a guaranteed Visa in Penang. Royal Jordanian are 5600 and supply food but (!) no alcohol. I'm sure we can survive the trip though <_<

Use this site for Train information and bookings throughout Asia and indeed elsewhere - superb site.

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

If you had of read my post- number 2 ,I said that ALL sleeper cars come off at Hat Yai ,for cleaning and preparation for that nights run back to Bkk.. By the way ,ALL sleepers means not just first class but 2nd class also. Any forward passengers to Butterworth , travel in a 2nd class sitting carriage.

Any idea since when? I've made this run a number of times by train over the last fifteen years, the most recent being in January. The second class sleeper carriages always made the entire journey to Butterworth albeit only just a couple coaches.

Be aware that the first class sleepers are very, very cold. Wear thermal underwear and take a parka.

Second class can be too. How I got a very nasty cold in Thailand... they give you the berth and if there's an aircon vent pointing right at it, then you're going to be very cold, and for a very long time.

Any idea since when? I've made this run a number of times by train over the last fifteen years, the most recent being in January. The second class sleeper carriages always made the entire journey to Butterworth albeit only just a couple coaches.

Actually the Thai train turned around at the border for several years and you had to transfer to a Malaysian train there about 10-12 years ago. But do recall most 2nd class couch cars did make the journey when Thai train only changed to Malay locomotive; but if you had bad luck you would have to transfer at Hat Yai as not all continued. 1st class never continued as I recall.

1st class is just 2nd class with a private room. It isn’t luxurious and the carriages show their age.  If u want privacy it might be worth the extra, assuming ur travelling by train for the 'novelty' factor. Also the staff will be on u like flies to honey trying to get u to order from a non priced menu or a non declared additional charge for bringing the overly priced, undersized food to ur carriage. Just be firm and polite and decline.

I prefer 2nd class. Be aware that the newer carriages have a very small sized top bunk. I'm a slim Farang, and I just about get a good night sleep. Also the top bunk when not made up as a bed, faces backward.

Also try to choose a seat in the centre of the carriage away from the semi automatic doors. Apart from the constant traffic and a large percentage of Thais who won’t bother to close the door, many will choose to smoke on the bogie

I prefer 2nd class. Be aware that the newer carriages have a very small sized top bunk. I'm a slim Farang, and I just about get a good night sleep. Also the top bunk when not made up as a bed, faces backward.

Actually believe the size is the same as on the old carriages but the lower bunk/seats are much wider on new carriage as storage in under them now instead in walkway partitions.

Other than the absence of the exhaust pipes and cooling system thermostats which I'm sure the diesel engine passenger carriage retro fitters supplied some decades back - It's a wonderfully quaint experience Bangkok to Penang (Except I wish they'd stop kicking us off in Hat Yai at 6:00 AM to wait around until 9:30 for the 4 hour mini van the rest of the way to Penang that takes 6 hours after driving around Hat Yai to pick every one up) A lot of people I notice love to take their cigarette breaks around the back of tour buses by the exhaust pipe. I think they like the buzz from carbon monoxide. If your one of these you will simply LOVE 17 hours straight of carbon monoxide heaven in 2nd class sleeper.

CHANGOVER, if the link doesn't work for you just google seat61. Then Asia, for Thailand/Malaysia/Singapore.

But broadly:-

NS-Bangkok 4 hrs.

Bangkok - Butterworth 22 hrs. (15/30 mins to Penang)

Butterworth - KL 6/8 hrs.

All aircon areas on trains are freezing.

Or be a boring git and fly.

Actually the Thai train turned around at the border for several years and you had to transfer to a Malaysian train there about 10-12 years ago. But do recall most 2nd class couch cars did make the journey when Thai train only changed to Malay locomotive; but if you had bad luck you would have to transfer at Hat Yai as not all continued. 1st class never continued as I recall.

Pretty correct ,actually. As the International Express( now there is a misnomer ,if ever I heard one)is a 1/2 class train . Generally the farang were herded into a couple of carriages for the onward journey to Butterworth. Most of the sleeper cars were left at Hat Yai. to be cleaned and made up for the run back to Bkk. ,that night.There was always one "sitter" carriage(2nd class) that went all the way. But it took sooooo long to get to Butterworth+ the time taken to walk to the ferry ,go on the ferry and then get Transport to your hotel or guest house ,I gave up and went by minibus from Hat Yai. which took you direct to Penang AND delivered you to the front door of your hotel.Excellent service ,saved about 2 to 3 hours.And was much cheaper than the train fare from Hat Yai to Butterworth. Much cheaper.