Riders Corner

Ulysses G.

I've been going here a lot lately and they just got a write up on a local website.

The tasty food and reasonable prices remind me of the Gecko Restaurant, but not so many customers and really comfortable. The fish and chips are my current favorites in CM.

http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/current/dining.shtml

Edited by Ulysses G.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have always given me nice portions at Rider's Club, but like pretty much every place, they probably screw up from time to time.

I really do not get this obssesion with microwave ovens. Even the best restaurants use them on some dishes and they do not have any negative effects on the taste or texture of those foods. The problem is with cooks that use them on the wrong things, not with using them at all.

By the way, IMHO, the beef stew with dumplings is another good dish at the Rider's Club and flour dumplings are not easy to find around here.

I agree that it's the incorrect use and over use of microwaves. I have worked in many nice restaurants and we never had microwaves but I understand that these are not establishments with Chefs and microwaves can have their place used correctly. But microwaves can have a huge effect on the texture of meat, making it tough, and if used incorrectly to defrost it can cook or make hot on the outside while leaving the inside still partially frozen, not enjoyable or it can be dangerous. Also it is proven to deplete the vitamins, but I'll leave the nutritional aspect for another topic. I will give Rider's Club a try soon.

I really do not get this obssesion with microwave ovens.

Neither do I.

Do people really think that a restaurant with an extensive menu has everything simmering gently away on multiple stoves? Especially if its at the time of day when there aren't any customers.

As said, if they are not used correctly then they can be a disaster, like the restaurant that gave me stew with cold bits in the middle. bah.gif

Yeah there were no people in there at the time and i was on my way home when it started pouring down with rain so i stopped on the corner and popped in for some food i will give it another try no problems every restaurant has there off days i understand that .

Yeah there were no people in there at the time and i was on my way home when it started pouring down with rain so i stopped on the corner and popped in for some food i will give it another try no problems every restaurant has there off days i understand that .

Thanks for the kind words George, it's always a pleasure to sit and chat with you when you stop by. It seems our chicken parm dish, designed by Nang that came from Duke's has been a huge hit as have several others.

I met Phillip and the gang tonight (and 2 other Phillips/philips at Rider's corner tonight.

Nice folks and a great atmosphere. I'll be going back!

Was great to meet you to JD, lots of good conversation!

Thanks! Was nice talking to you!

Your bar mistress from Chaiyapoom has my cards (from the primary company AND the credit union, Note my card from the primary company is missing a digit in the phone number!

Edited by jdinasia

Gave it a try as I said I would and was happily surprised. Had the steak, which was great! I usually never order steak as I am almost always disappointed but after reading their sign promoting how good they were I went for it. Cooked to temp as ordered (almost never happens in Thailand, even when I order 3000 bht steaks in BKK at top end steak houses in Western hotels) nice side dish of lots of veg, even with some charred onion which was so nice. The mash were inedible, a runny yellow mess (the way they cooked everything else so well they should have know better to even serve it) but they happily exchanged for some real good fried potato wedges and then came out to see if everything was ok., a real nice change too. Only other thing was that the sauce was, as I find so often here, more like a Thai soup as in a liquid, not thickened so it adheres to the meat so it will season the meat and just run off, but I know I'm getting picky esp for the fair prices they charge. I will not only tell my friends and but also bring them there! And my kids are going to love the fries! Just get the mash right to please my missus and we might become regulars.

Gave it a try as I said I would and was happily surprised. Had the steak, which was great! I usually never order steak as I am almost always disappointed but after reading their sign promoting how good they were I went for it. Cooked to temp as ordered (almost never happens in Thailand, even when I order 3000 bht steaks in BKK at top end steak houses in Western hotels) nice side dish of lots of veg, even with some charred onion which was so nice. The mash were inedible, a runny yellow mess (the way they cooked everything else so well they should have know better to even serve it) but they happily exchanged for some real good fried potato wedges and then came out to see if everything was ok., a real nice change too. Only other thing was that the sauce was, as I find so often here, more like a Thai soup as in a liquid, not thickened so it adheres to the meat so it will season the meat and just run off, but I know I'm getting picky esp for the fair prices they charge. I will not only tell my friends and but also bring them there! And my kids are going to love the fries! Just get the mash right to please my missus and we might become regulars.

Junglechef

- we've spent all morning researching mash potatoes and luckily had some highly opinionated friends and customers stop by and try the finished product & they all agreed that the mash potatoes were delicious.

In fact if you come and they arn't good we'll replace them with fries and give a 20% discount.

Edited by RidersCnx

David - if you make yourself known to me when you're here and mention Thaivisa , you'll get a 10% discount on beer, that goes to other as well, lets see how well Thaivisa advertising works before we do a banner.

Edited by Maestro
Deleted quotes that were replies to deleted post.

David - if you make yourself known to me when you're here and mention Thaivisa , you'll get a 10% discount on beer, that goes to other as well, lets see how well Thaivisa advertising works before we do a banner.

I haven't tried your place yet, but I will.

If you're not there - will your staff know about the 10% and TV?

For those of use who are newcomers.....who are you and how will we recognise you? smile.gif

I haven't tried your place yet, but I will.

If you're not there - will your staff know about the 10% and TV?

For those of use who are newcomers.....who are you and how will we recognise you? smile.gif

The staff will be informed today ask for Som, my wife is the owner.

Magic word is "THAIVISA" for 10% discount on beer

Edited by RidersCnx

Junglechef

- we've spent all morning researching mash potatoes and luckily had some highly opinionated friends and customers stop by and try the finished product & they all agreed that the mash potatoes were delicious.

In fact if you come and they arn't good we'll replace them with fries and give a 20% discount.

Great! A discount is not necessary when you happily (and I mean the way your staff did with a smile and NO attitude) do what you can to fix the problem and make the customer happy (which was done in my case). Thanks for taking the effort to listen and responding, it's really appreciated. I'll be back in the family soon!

reheating mash is a tricky business.... have to add the butter and milk/cream after the reheat, not before!

How do the beer prices compare with Gekko?

I scald (bring to a boil w/o scorching) the milk first and I like to melt the butter with it. Also the mash potato could stick and burn w/o enough moisture. I suggest a lot of elbow grease, that's whisking to incorporate the liquid and put in some air which in turn will lighten the dish, over low to med heat in a pan with the scalded milk and melted butter. But it sounds like they figured it out already, any way that get good results works.

Ive never been since the owner stole my email address from a mutual friends mailing list and started spamming me at least twice a week with <deleted> about bike rides round Alaska.

I thought we'd solved that tantrum ? i'll re-check my email list & i thought you had been removed 4 months ago?

Edited by sbk
name removed please do not reveal personal names

Cheers, I'll write the magic word down in case I forget it. blink.gif

I thought the beer prices were already pretty good!

Cheers, I'll write the magic word down in case I forget it. blink.gif

I thought the beer prices were already pretty good!

Always take the discount and add it to the tip you give to the server(s)......everyone wins. smile.gif