Need A Multiple 1-Year Chinese Visa For Thai G/F

I'm going to work in China next month. Signed a contract with an international school for 2 years up north. I would like to take my Thai g/f with me; we're just not sure how to do it. I contacted my school about it and they told me that she needs to get a 1 year multiple entry Chinese visa. However they have not told me how to do this, or what documents will be needed to apply for such a visa. I have my work permit, Chinese Z visa, and my signed contract so I can show that I can support both of us. She went to talk to a travel agent near the Chinese embassy today and they seem to think that it would be very difficult to acquire such a visa without us being married. We would like to get married in the future, but not right now and certainly not just so we can get the correct paperwork.

Does anyone have any experience with this or can give us any advice on how to proceed? I might email a few more travel agents and see what they say, but my school really hasn't been much help other than telling us that she needs a 1 year multiple entry visa. Thanks!

i cant offer much help. but my gf ( now wife ) and I were going to china for a short holiday last May, but we cancelled. i phoned the chinese embassy, in bangkok, to ask for advice and they were very helpful. they told me what i needed to do. so maybe worth ringing them

Hi Durianfan. You are discussing the worlds biggest hoop jumping situation, if you think Thailand is bad, then you have a huge surprise coming.

The requirements to obtain a Chinese Visa change by the second. I am almost sure you will not get your g/f a 1 year multi entry tourist visa, you may have better luck with a six month, but whether they give her multi, double or single entry is the luck of the draw. However what ever she gets, she is only allowed to stay in China for 30 consecutive days, she then has to depart and re-enter for another 30 days if she has more than a single entry.

You state you will be working 'up north" which means probably for other visa reasons she would have to go to HK, where she doesnt need a visa, every 30 days and domestic air tickets are not cheap.

I had to jump these same hoops 36 months ago when I left BKK to work in Kunming and now Dongguan, luckily I got my Z visa and now I have residence and work permits. Thats the next set of hoops you are going to have to jump through and I wish you luck.

Another poster mentioned HK as being visa friendly for China. I am not sure as I believe recently the rules changed (yet again) and applicants in HK must hold a HK ID card.

I wish you luck

i cant offer much help. but my gf ( now wife ) and I were going to china for a short holiday last May, but we cancelled. i phoned the chinese embassy, in bangkok, to ask for advice and they were very helpful. they told me what i needed to do. so maybe worth ringing them

I tried phoning them. Got some Thai dude who spoke almost no English but he gave me a number to call....number was disconnected. Not sure where to go from here other than to wait a few weeks until I'm in Bangkok again. I've also tried emaiing a travel agent....he's been no help so far. Doesn't look promising.