Internet Connection Trouble

trevorg

Gents - I would appreciate any help or suggestions - Ive spent all day (since 5am) tried and adjusted many things and asking here as a last resort

I have the following set-up that is working:

TOT supplied Thomson ST536 SpeedTouch connected to my phone line

That is connected to a 4 port hub

I have my laptop (running Vista) connected to the hub

I have the family computer (running Ubuntu) connected to the hub

All works fine for internet connectivity from both computers at the same time.

I have a new (old work) laptop (running XP SP3) which I'm attempting to connect. Originally it was part of a work domain - so I've changed that just to connect to the home LAN - and could see the hub and can see the ADSL and can connect to the router. It allows me to run the Check Connectivity on the router. I get positive results for DSL, ATM, Ethernet, PPP, IP and it gives me the IP addresses for the Gateway & DNS Server 1 and 2. I can also see the new laptop from my existing laptop in the Network Map and have copied some files.

When I attempt to connect to any website I get the IE cannot display this page (I've ran Diagnose Connection Problems and it just suggests consulting manufacturers trouble shooting).

During and after all my 'fiddling', both the other computers have continued to be connected to the internet - whilst I searched for answers!

I thank you in advance for any assistance in the 'final' (hopefully) hurdle!

Trevor

sulasno - Thanks for your advice. I don't believe that I'm using a proxy, in the past, friends have turned up with their laptop, plugged an ethernet cable into my hub and connected to the internet using my router (with no requirement to change any settings either on their laptops or on the router). If this is the issue, where do I check and change these settings - on my existing laptop or the new one or on the router (where do I find these to change?) The router has the IP address and default gateway, each computer connected gets the next IP address xxx.xxx.x.2 then xxx.xxx.x.3.

bubblegum - again thanks for the advice, I tried it and guess what, my existing laptop failed to start and I had to do a system restore under the start up repair procedure - fortunately that's worked! The only thing that I'd installed was the Genuine Windows Validation Component in order to download the LLTD (Link Layer Topology Discovery) responder in (one of my attempts) to get the 'new' laptop connected. What 'p*sses' me off, is that both laptops are running fully legal, full cost versions of Vista/ XP and guess what f*cks them up - updates from Microsoft! They are the only updates I install, and after I get 'blue screens of death' and lock-ups.

This is by the by, but I installed free ubuntu on the family computer and it hasn't had a single problem in a whole year - the only thing I can't do on that is 'clean the print heads' on an HP printer!

Ho hum - if I don't get it fixed tonight, it'll end up in the drawer for another month!

Thanks agin!

That should have been Thanks again - but a gin will probably be in order!

Edited due to speelin misstocks!

Edited by trevorg

I don't believe that I'm using a proxy, in the past, friends have turned up with their laptop, plugged an ethernet cable into my hub and connected to the internet using my router (with no requirement to change any settings either on their laptops or on the router). If this is the issue, where do I check and change these settings - on my existing laptop or the new one or on the router (where do I find these to change?) The router has the IP address and default gateway, each computer connected gets the next IP address xxx.xxx.x.2 then xxx.xxx.x.3.

Computers used in the workplace are usually configured to use proxies.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Internet Options

Click the Connections tab

At the bottom right click LAN settings

In the Local Area Connection (LAN) settings window, make sure nothing is checked.

I don't believe that I'm using a proxy, in the past, friends have turned up with their laptop, plugged an ethernet cable into my hub and connected to the internet using my router (with no requirement to change any settings either on their laptops or on the router). If this is the issue, where do I check and change these settings - on my existing laptop or the new one or on the router (where do I find these to change?) The router has the IP address and default gateway, each computer connected gets the next IP address xxx.xxx.x.2 then xxx.xxx.x.3.

Computers used in the workplace are usually configured to use proxies.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Internet Options

Click the Connections tab

At the bottom right click LAN settings

In the Local Area Connection (LAN) settings window, make sure nothing is checked.

Good call - I had 'Automatically detect settings' checked, I have unchecked and have restarted, hasn't worked. I can see and make the ADSL router do a connection check from the newly connected laptop - it just won't go to websites.

I've just had another thought (14 hours into the fix), potentially it was set-up with 'company-wide' website restrictions (personal mail, social networking etc), i don't remember Google being resticted!

Leave it with me! (I have administrator access), but thanks for all your help and suggestions so far! I'll report back.....eventually!

Trevor