Private Playground

KhunBoom

I might voice out and say either this is bad timing or the wrong place. I see the closed sign on lots of threads, much more so that many boards. Having been an Admin on a professional board that dealt with lots of technical issues but still open to those who were sans professional credentials we seldom had to close a forum to get in the final word.

Can someone tell me the specific crietera for locking off a topic?

Cheers,

BTW it is very poor manners for the leadership to encite trools and flamers.

I go back to the AOL boards of 12 years ago and would like to share that knowledge with the whomevers as you'll only attract more distractions as this is suppose to be about Thailand no a childish game.

Kao Jai Mai?

Guest IT Manager

What a good question.A topic is locked by me if it goes so far off topic it needs a new thread, or people begin flaming one another for off-topic reasons.

also if the thread starts as a wind up we let it go until the proof is in the bag, or more people are taking it seriously than is reasonable.

Remember this forum is for many the first stop for information about their holidays or moving here to retire. Since most of the wind ups come from people who don't live here (not all), we often watch threads developing which provide misinformation, or can be misconstrued because of content.

A professional forum should be a bit different to this with few (if any) wind ups happening. Good to welcome you to Thaivisa.

######

IT/G-P.

Thanks for your responses and I agree in almost all areas. Tech forums open to the public can get a bit out of end in that some people have absoultly no foundation for their opinions and oftem the amature (w/o formal education) are correct and need to be supported by forum staff and not the victem of inordinate degradation by those who were highly credentialed. I find that alliances between members in social based boards, such as Thai Visa, place newcomers at somewhat less of an advantage to those whom have "friends" or in worse case is a staff person who totally missed the point of the exsistance. Sort of what happen to some law enforcement people using their power in the mix rather that to police the mix. Of course that will always manifest itself childishly.

Seems aother point has been mised. Should Forum Leadership people engage in flaming or trooling to specific posters? I think that, as indicated, Admin members should lead by example and no with attitudes of superiority.

Everytime I get involved in a social forum it is much of the same although I must say hovering over a number of boards on Thailand finds me to say there must be something in the beer over there as it is all to present. No a beer drinker, strickly shorts.

Should Forum Leadership people engage in flaming or trooling to specific posters? I think that, as indicated, Admin members should lead by example and no with attitudes of superiority.

Thanks for heads up!

You are completely right here. We can be better, and we are also learning, as noone of us is a professional moderator/admin.

Additionally, it is totaly unacceptable for an admin to publically discuss any members post that may be inconsistant with the rules and goals of the board.

Nor should any admin taunt a member, hence trooling for more behavior that could be considered abohorant for the sole purpose of displaying their power over others to creat an air of fear from retaliation from that poster (admin) therefor from limiting members willingness to engage free exchange of ideas . They should not threaten a member with punative action publically. These things most certainly more productive done privately and best with the joined advice and consent of a second admin. Public taunting and threats by a person whom holds admin status will only deter from the success of the board. Those acts are unprofessional and inmature. I suppost that could be considered flaming. I, many years ago, coined a term "Netiot" meaing "Idiot on the Net" . Netiotism has no place on this or another board? Admins whom behave as I have described should immediatly be demoted for the good of the board and the internet as a whole. I did it more that once with no regrets.

Thanks for your previous prompt responses and looking for good future dialog.

Regards, K.B.