Amy Winehouse Dead

bartender100

Amy Winehouse has been found dead at her home in London, it has been reported.

The Back To Black singer was apparently found at 4pm and her death is believed to be unexplained

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2018020/Amy-Winehouse-confirmed-dead.html#ixzz1SwomhGJm

Had to happen really I suppose, she was a real talent

Police: Singer Amy Winehouse dies at age 27

(AP) LONDON — Amy Winehouse, the beehived soul-jazz diva whose self-destructive habits overshadowed a distinctive musical talent, was found dead Saturday in her London home, police said. She was 27.

Winehouse shot to fame with the album "Back to Black," whose blend of jazz, soul, rock and classic pop was a global hit. It won five Grammys and made Winehouse — with her black beehive hairdo and old-fashioned sailor tattoos — one of music's most recognizable stars.

Police confirmed that a 27-year-old female was pronounced dead at the home in Camden Square northern London; the cause of death was not immediately known. London Ambulance Services said Winehouse had died before the two ambulance crews it sent arrived at the scene.

CBS News

aplogo.jpg

-- (c) Associated Press 24 July 2011

...and she took a bit of our soul with her

We love you Amy

blink.gif

Exaggerate much?

She was a good singer who put out a very good album. Other than that, I'm not aware that's she's known for anything other than having a truly sad, horrible, embarrassing train wreck of a public life. Took a bit of our souls? Please.

RIP

I sympathize with her family and of course it's as much a tragedy as that of the millions of people whose lives end too short (but who didn't have millions of dollars and all sorts normally unattainable opportunities offered to them).

Oh, and it has to be said (at least by someone like me who refuses to over sentimentalize this event as if she were some sort of important or inspiring figure rather than one more musician whose substance abuse -- and whatever other demons -- were more than she could handle and who without a best selling album would have been regarded far differently): as far as stories go; this one couldn't have a more suitable ending for legend-making (even the age -- "27! Just like...!"). Almost too predictable to believe.

Singer Amy Winehouse, 27, has been found dead at her north London home.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman confirmed that a 27-year-old woman had died in Camden and that the cause of death was as yet unexplained.

London Ambulance Service said it had been called to the flat at 1554 BST and sent two vehicles but the woman died. The troubled singer had a long battle with drink and drugs which overshadowed her recent musical career. She pulled out of a comeback tour last month.

------------------------------

Rumours of Winehouse's death began circulating on Twitter on Saturday evening. Among those to comment was former prime minister's wife Sarah Brown. "Sad sad news of Amy Winehouse - great talent, extraordinary voice, and tragic death, condolences to her family," she tweeted. Singer and presenter Myleene Klass tweeted: "OMG. Amy Winehouse. Exceptional talent and really nice lady. RIP."

BBC Radio 1 DJ Fearne Cotton wrote: "Can not believe the news. Amy was a special girl. The saddest news."

BBC News

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC 24 July 2011

It is easy to be cynical. It is more diffficult to see truth.

The way I see it is that a young woman who had a talent for singing and a compulsive personality died today or the day before.

She had a drug and alcohol problem that she was in denial of. She had money to fund the habit. She killed herself.

It is a tragic loss as she was a rare talent and has left behind family, friends, and fans that will miss her deeply..

If one good thing can come out of this, it is others with alcohol or drug addictions seek the kind of help that Amy refused to find.

RIP.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

I'm not so sure that she wasn't aware of her problem.

I'm not familiar with her music, but she was obviously a very talented person. It must be extremely difficult to handle success for some people.

What a shame. What a waste. Are all gifted people a little messed up in the head?

I'm not so sure that she wasn't aware of her problem.

I'm not familiar with her music, but she was obviously a very talented person. It must be extremely difficult to handle success for some people.

What a shame. What a waste. Are all gifted people a little messed up in the head?

Not all, but many. The list of artists that have found fame and money, then killed thmselves with drugs is long.

However, I guess that were those drugs legal and cheap, a lot more ( not necessarily gifted ) people would go down the same path.

It is easy to be cynical. It is more diffficult to see truth.

The way I see it is that a young woman who had a talent for singing and a compulsive personality died today or the day before.

She had a drug and alcohol problem that she was in denial of. She had money to fund the habit. She killed herself.

It is a tragic loss as she was a rare talent and has left behind family, friends, and fans that will miss her deeply..

If one good thing can come out of this, it is others with alcohol or drug addictions seek the kind of help that Amy refused to find.

RIP.

I'll not object to being labelled cynical in this instance but I'm curious as to what "truth" you see that I don't.

Pretty much incontrovertible and already acknowledged by me.

Right. I said as much.

Well, except for the part about being missed -- which one can assume is true as it would hopefully be of most people who died (and which her fame doesn't make it any more painful) -- that's entirely subjective. Not sure how you get to decide that's "the truth". Tragic loss and a rare talent? If you say so. I repeat -- I think it's as tragic as the death of so may people are and perhaps less than those who don't inflict it on themselves.

She made a good record. She partied real hard. She didn't heal the sick or enrich the poor or whatever. I would possibly question even what a tragic loss to humanity Presley, Hendrix, Lennon or Cobain were but at least they each made gigantic impact on music, and to a degree society, over the course of years with a lot of phenomenal music that will never be forgotten. Ms. Winehouse? She had an image and a record that sold well -- she had yet to prove that she was an artist for the ages...

That would be good. Indications are, going back decades, that that won't happen much but if even one person did, that would be a fine thing indeed.

(Full disclosure: I'm far from unsympathetic to those who suffer from substance abuse issues or the victims they make of their friends and families. I lost a loved one to substance abuse. Like Amy, that person had countless opportunities to save herself. She chose not to. It is very sad indeed. But it's one among millions -- millions that aren't celebrities and thus not glorified).

EDIT:

I think I have an even harder time with what I see as the OTT stuff about Amy Winehouse than I normally would (though I felt the same way about Princess Diana, for example whose death was somehow seen as more tragic because of her fame and image and the collective buying into the hype) in light of the fact of what happened in Norway at the same time as this report. That's tragedy. It's hard for me to be real upset about a massively self-indulgent, selfish and spoiled celebrity coming to a self-inflicted end on the same day.

Yeah, I guess I'm a callous cynical bast#*d.

Edited by SteeleJoe

Sad indeed. Fame and money doesn't buy happiness. Reminds me of Janis Joplin and the Bette Midler movie the ROSE.

Janis Joplin.

Brian Jones.

Jimi Hendrix

Jim Morrison.

Kurt Cobain.

All at the age of 27. (Though all much more significant in terms of music history, success, and arguably - talent).

Well she took a bit of my soul and of many people who got really touched by her singing ...

When she came out with "rehab" I thought that was a good song and she had a good voice but nothing more

I did not understand what all the fuss all about

It is only when I saw her live show at shepherd's bush empire, that I got it: Flawless highly creative deep personal funny soul singing, like a modern Billie holiday... At that time she was not too much on drugs and her performances were really something.

how many gigs did she massacred ? how many tours blown off ? Why do people still rush off to buy their ticket every time ? Because with that much exceptional talent, all is forgiven.

Her colleagues like Beyoncé or Shakira perfect their moves and their hair while singing meaningless lyrics, and she came with a messed up 50's beehive, tattooed like a truck driver, made up like Cleopatra, but boy, she found the right words, gave you the swing, and that voice ...A voice that belong to the greatest tormented souls, the type that creeps inside you and stay for a while.

she could swore like demented, in the middle of song to go and vomit, but when she start singing all was instantly forgiven.

Sad, but not surprising. I have known the type.

She had talent and a fine instrument, but little control,

and the ex husband did her in IMHO, never helped, only abetted,

but she was complicit herself 100%

"...A voice that belong to the greatest tormented souls,

the type that creeps inside you and stay for a while."

I also worked with a musician who died at age 27...

30 years ago this August 1st. Yes I HAVE been thinking about it.

He didn't OD, natural causes, but still too young and totally a shock.

RIP Amy.

Edited by animatic

Sad indeed. Fame and money doesn't buy happiness. Reminds me of Janis Joplin and the Bette Midler movie the ROSE.

Janis Joplin.

Brian Jones.

Jimi Hendrix

Jim Morrison.

Kurt Cobain.

All at the age of 27. (Though all much more significant in terms of music history, success, and arguably - talent).

Add Nick Drake to that list.

Well of course the above are more important in terms of music history. History takes time. In terms of awards won and nominated for in her short career Amy blew those guys out of the water. Awards are what the music industry awards artists = success. Winehouse picked up a record amount of grammys in one evening and brits across the water. Massive record sales. Huge following. Talent can't really be measured, but I'd say that she was as good as any on that list except for Jimi.

Don't get me wrong. I am not a fan of her music. But it saddens me that there are thousands of people that are and will be upset by her death. Her fame will grow making some few people very rich.

Ambulances were called. I wonder who was in the house at the time?

Edited by Geekfreaklover

image_201107241110425A567D51-D2F7-5649-7FEC6B9AD60F0D33.jpg

A guitar with messages written on it is left with flowers and notes near the house in north London where the body of English pop star Amy Winehouse was found earlier on July 23 2011. Troubled British singer Amy Winehouse, whose struggle with drink and drugs overshadowed her sultry musical talents, has been found dead at her flat in north London, emergency services said. She was 27

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-07-24

27 club, end of chat.

Waste of a life but not suprising really. Out lived her sell by date. Been coming for a long time.

On the other side of this,

RIP - Find some piece wherever you are now

It is a tragic loss as she was a rare talent and has left behind family, friends, and fans that will miss her deeply.

I truly feel sorry for her family and friends.

When someone talented is lost to the world through no fault of their own, Holly, Lennon etc it is a tragedy.

When it is caused by a self inflicted downhill spiral it is a sad loss.

RIP Amy.

Janis Joplin.

Brian Jones.

Jimi Hendrix

Jim Morrison.

Kurt Cobain.

Add Nick Drake to that list.

Well of course the above are more important in terms of music history. History takes time. In terms of awards won and nominated for in her short career Amy blew those guys out of the water. Awards are what the music industry awards artists = success. Winehouse picked up a record amount of grammys in one evening and brits across the water. Massive record sales. Huge following. Talent can't really be measured, but I'd say that she was as good as any on that list except for Jimi.

Don't get me wrong. I am not a fan of her music. But it saddens me that there are thousands of people that are and will be upset by her death. Her fame will grow making some few people very rich.

Ambulances were called. I wonder who was in the house at the time?

Nick Drake was 26, I believe.

Awards are what the music industry awards artists = success.Winehouse picked up a record amount of grammys in one evening and brits across the water. Massive record sales. Huge following.

I never claimed she wasn't successful (rather the contrary, in fact). She was successful by any reasonable measure -- critically and commercially. (But I do question the value of awards: have you ever looked at a list of Grammy Award winners? BRIT Awards? Not all of them are great artists by any stretch of the imagination)

Can't argue about talent but I am surprised that anyone would think she was more talented than writers and ground-breaking pioneers like Jones or Cobain or Morrison.

In any case, I just don't see it as any greater a tragedy than any other 27 yeard old dying. And I'm sorry that her fans (myself among them) won't hear more new music from her but if they feel a personal loss, well...I just say I can't relate to that (as I couldn't even if it were an artist whom I admired much more) and leave it that. (Maybe wink.gif)

Sad and so predictable, she had an appetite for self-destruction which meant it was only a matter of time. I could say what a waste, but I had already concluded that while she was still alive.

RIP

P.S I bet the value of the flat next door will have gone up, and you can call me cynical too. :whistling:

One very good album,the means from there to destroy her already out of control life....sad but not really unexpected,i feel for those left behind and hope she can find some peace in death.

It's always sad when someone dies, but there's no doubt the media will turn her into something she never was. It's sad that someone died so young, but like others have said, it seemed inevitable. It doesn't take away from the tragedy, but she was worth no more than any other human life, and she was abusing hers everyday.

My thoughts go to her family, but lets not forget the other tragic losses of life elsewhere in the World.

Janis Joplin.

Brian Jones.

Jimi Hendrix

Jim Morrison.

Kurt Cobain.

Amy only really had one song that people knew. About not wanting to go to rehab (no no no). I liked some of her other stuff (I was jamming to 'Frank' for a couple weeks in the car) but she was in no way even close to most of the songsters noted above.

Reports said she bought a bunch of goodies Friday night: Heroin, Coke, Ectasy, Horse Tranquilizer. Dissapeared into her house and was found dead the next afternoon.

RIP!