Burqa ban goes into force in Belgium

News_Editor

Burqa ban goes into force in Belgium

2011-07-24 00:05:56 GMT+7 (ICT)

BRUSSELS (BNO NEWS) - A ban on wearing a full body Islamic veil, or burqa, went into force on Saturday in Belgium, Flanders news reported.

Under the new legislation, offenders face a seven-day prison sentence and a 137.5 euro ($197) fine. The ban, however, has already been challenged by two women.

The women will be taking the matter to Belgium's Constitutional Court, saying the law is out of proportion and violates freedom of religion. They want the court to quash the legislation, which was introduced in order to guarantee public order.

One of the women earlier won her case before a lower court in the Brussels borough of Etterbeek after she was fined for wearing a full face veil, or niqab. Bylaws in Etterbeek ban the wearing of any garment that completely covers the face, but the court ruled that the ban was not in proportion to the intention of guaranteeing public safety.

Belgium is the second European country after France to enforce such a ban. France, where authorities estimate that about 2,000 Muslim women wear face veils, enforced its ban in April.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-07-24

It is not up to the government to dictate how I dress if there is no clear safety concern (i.e. big metal spikes on my hockey-pads...).

Well, I'm afraid you're mistaken there. It is up to the govt (if they so desire) to dictate what you can and can't wear in public. And most sporting bodies will also dictate exactly what can and can't be worn on a playing field

In most countries it is not only indecent to walk around naked, it is also against the law. Some more-so than others (Saudi Arabia is an extreme, but many countries have laws against nudity, or simply the bare breast of a woman).

Most governments legislate what has to be worn in certain places, such as licensed premises, registered clubs etc. Whilst it may appear as a dress code of the place you're in, most states actually legislate that shoes and a shirt must be worn.

If it is law, polite, or common sense not to wear a full faced helmet, balaclava or pillow case over your head when you enter a bank, shopping center, school or court room, why is it fine to wear a full faced/bodied burqa? Is it solely the case that because it is a religious form of dress that the wearer (religious or not) will not commit any offence or do any harm?

It is not up to the government to dictate how I dress if there is no clear safety concern (i.e. big metal spikes on my hockey-pads...).

Well, I'm afraid you're mistaken there. It is up to the govt (if they so desire) to dictate what you can and can't wear in public. And most sporting bodies will also dictate exactly what can and can't be worn on a playing field

You miss my point. In my political belief it shouldn't be up to the government what I wear on my head if it isn't threatening/hurting others.

But in many modern social-fascist nations it is indeed the norm that the government has their nose in most of our businesses.

You miss my point. In my political belief it shouldn't be up to the government what I wear on my head if it isn't threatening/hurting others.

But in many modern social-fascist nations it is indeed the norm that the government has their nose in most of our businesses.

The wearing of a burqa does indeed present a threat to public safety. It does inflict psychological "hurt" on others as they may fear the unidentified person. There is no restriction of freedom of religion since the burqa is not a requirement under Islamic law. There comes a point when foreigners cannot impose their culture and views on the people that were kind enough to let them in.