Transferring Land Requirements

kirkieb

It's not quit so straight forward.

This being Thailand you need more information before that question can be answered as there are quite a few kinds of land title.

However they are all reasonably straight forward if her parents have the land paper. She and her parents will need to spend some quality time with the land office in the local Ampur office. costs can be from a few hundred Baht upwards depending on the speed wanted. The ampur office will have all the information.

If, for example, the title is to be upgraded the a survey will be needed and the time for that is variable. A friend has just bought land and the low speed (low cost) queue is about 28 months, of course there is a high speed/cost queue that is only a month or so long.

Ok well with my limited knowedge of the situation, the family are peasant farmers and the land has been in the family I believe for atleast two generations and is utilised for rice fields. The mother has the property in her name and wants to give it to her daughter(My Wife) for the future. Im not sure what she is going to do with it as I think limited services in the area and only peasant people in close proximity I imagine the land will just be used for rice for years to come. Im concerned not knowing the real estate situation completely in Thailand that we will then be liable for any taxes, rates etc as would be the situation in most western countries and therefore want as much info as possible so I can advise my wife a little better.

Alternatively, if my wife does have the property transferred to her name does she then have to plant crops or can she use it for a house block? Am curious as to the legalities of this type of land as I believe the Thai government give peasant people land for the use of food but am unsure if that means for the life of the land or not

Ok well with my limited knowedge of the situation, the family are peasant farmers and the land has been in the family I believe for atleast two generations and is utilised for rice fields. The mother has the property in her name and wants to give it to her daughter(My Wife) for the future. Im not sure what she is going to do with it as I think limited services in the area and only peasant people in close proximity I imagine the land will just be used for rice for years to come. Im concerned not knowing the real estate situation completely in Thailand that we will then be liable for any taxes, rates etc as would be the situation in most western countries and therefore want as much info as possible so I can advise my wife a little better.

Alternatively, if my wife does have the property transferred to her name does she then have to plant crops or can she use it for a house block? Am curious as to the legalities of this type of land as I believe the Thai government give peasant people land for the use of food but am unsure if that means for the life of the land or not

Hi there

without knowing the type of title the land has you are in a bit of a bind. Most probably some form of possession title, really means you can farm it, no house building etc. The transfer should be fairly easy, but you again need to know which land department to go to. Get the family to tell your wife what if any paper the land has. There is a site issanland titles then look up what the title is. Jim

Thanks Jim

Its what I was suspecting. I know the records seem to be always reliant on the village elder being present at the Amphur type office for the authenticity of the claim on the land. Is amasing how they take people over paper in such issues. The western world could take a few lessons from the Thais.

At this point my wife is doing merit but she is hoping to have the land transferred as soon as she returns to her parents due to her Mothers failing health. But I will keep you informed if I hear what type of Title they do in fact.

Brad

Actually just an update after I re read what you said about no building etc. The surrounding area has been in her extended famillies possession for over two generations I believe and they all have dwellings on the farming land and an Aunt has just had a home built Via western standards next door to the acreage in question. The aunt is atleast 70 so am thinking she must have had approval for the vast expense it would have cost.

Food for thought only

Thanks Jim

Its what I was suspecting. I know the records seem to be always reliant on the village elder being present at the Amphur type office for the authenticity of the claim on the land. Is amasing how they take people over paper in such issues. The western world could take a few lessons from the Thais.

At this point my wife is doing merit but she is hoping to have the land transferred as soon as she returns to her parents due to her Mothers failing health. But I will keep you informed if I hear what type of Title they do in fact.

Brad

Be a little wary of the Amphor title transfers, it's the Thai way, but it's not necessary the right way. If by chance it has a good title, do the transfer at the land office that issued the title in the first place. Happened to me, Amphor transfer, but title issued by the Ubon province land office. Very hard to up date the title or up grade if the registered owner is dead. Not impossible, but not easy. Jim