Driving License Requirements

manarak

I currently hold a Swiss driving license for vehicles up to 3500Kg, vans with up to 8 passengers, motorcycles up to 125cc and agricultural machinery (don't laugh).

I also have an IDL, where motorcycles are not included, probably because there is no distinction between small and big bikes.

What do I need to get a Thai driver license for cars and motorcycles?

- Are there visa requirements to get one?

- Can I get the motorcycle license easily based on my Swiss license?

- What's the procedure?

As far as I'm aware you will need to copy your passport & visa. Obtain a residency certificate from immigration and get a medical certificate from any doctor or hospital.

With these you should be able to present your license at the licensing office on the Hang Dong road just past the end of the airport and obtain a one year license for cars and a one year motorcycle license. They are two separate licenses.

At immigration you will need a copy of your passport ID page, vise & TM-9 Departure card & 2 x passport sized photos and the certificate costs 500 THB.

If you end up having to do the motorcycle test don't worry about it, it's extremely easy and only takes a few hours to complete everything.

I'm sure if I've missed anything someone will be kind enough to correct me.

Good luck with it all.

Mrclough gave all the precise requirements, just to elaborate a bit further.

This is the posted requirements at Samui office, should be the same country wide.

It IS GOOD that Samui land transport dept have put that in English BUT considering how many tourists and expats live on Samui .

I would have thought they could find someone to spell check it.... But saying that these things happen at the school i work at and they have 30 native speakers sitting next door to the officebiggrin.gif