Need New Specs

Semper

I wan't to check for astigmatism, should I go to a hospital for this, as the opticians here don't seem to check for this. I have tried many and they just can't do it right. Can anyone recommend where to go?

Vision Center in Rajvitthi Rd, next to the UN Irish Pub, certainly does this kind of test.

/ Priceless

I took my wife there and he checked every thing.

He rec recommended two pairs of glasses. One for reading and one for general.

She wanted byfocls and he recommended against them turned out the two pairs were cheaper than the one byfocles.B)

Vision Center in Rajvitthi Rd, next to the UN Irish Pub, certainly does this kind of test.

/ Priceless

She wanted byfocls and he recommended against them turned out the two pairs were cheaper than the one byfocles.B)

Thanks, but this is what I don't want (2 pairs). I have been using glasses since I was 11 years old. And the first time I have to use 2 pairs was when I bought glasses in Thailand. :blink:

And I have never used bifocals before.

Edited by Semper

/ Priceless

Thanks. Do they make (grind) the lenses themself, or are they made in Bkk?

I don't know if it is true about all prescriptions, but they have normally delivered mine within a couple of hours. This obviously means that they make them themselves. BTW, I'm astigmatic too.

/ Priceless

/ Priceless

Thanks, but this is what I don't want (2 pairs). I have been using glasses since I was 11 years old. And the first time I have to use 2 pairs was when I bought glasses in Thailand. :blink:

I am interested in what you had to say. I need glasses to read. As for seeing in the distance I have a pair that was prescribed back in Canada. When traveling a long distance I would put them on but the difference they made was not really that great I don't even put them on for in town..

Are you suggesting that I could get one pair to do both functions. As it is I am thinking of getting new glasses for reading.The old ones are about 7 years old and my eyes are not that good any more.

/ Priceless

Thanks. Do they make (grind) the lenses themself, or are they made in Bkk?

I don't know if it is true about all prescriptions, but they have normally delivered mine within a couple of hours. This obviously means that they make them themselves. BTW, I'm astigmatic too.

/ Priceless

So, can you read your newspaper and look at something far away with the same glasses?

The only place I've been to in Thailand that checked for astigmatism was Rutnin Eye Hospital in Bangkok. They found a couple of problems (including astigmatism) and gave me the prescription for my glasses which I had filled here in C.M. 4 years ago.

Recently (before I read a similar recent thread) I went to a couple of places looking for a full eye check-up. McCormick Hospital Eye Clinic does not offer this I was surprised to find out. I also went to an optician near Thapae whose name I forget who only offered a very basic vision test.

I'll give the Vision Center a try as I need new glasses too.

Edited by elektrified

"The first signs of presbyopia – eyestrain, difficulty seeing in dim light, problems focusing on small objects and/or fine print – are usually first noticed between the ages of 40 and 50."

That's when you need glasses for reading - no matter where you live. It hit me almost on my 40th birthday.

I have astigmatism, too. The Vision Center made me some bifocals for reading distance / computer distance. 3,000 for the lenses with anti-reflective, etc. Perfect.

Another option would be mono-vision contacts but I'm pretty sure that would drive me crazy.

I, too, have astigmatism (a really bad case) and Vision Center is able to work with it. I also need bifocals, so I think they have to send my lenses down to Bangkok because it always takes 4-5 days to get new glasses or lenses.

I've found that as I get older the distance vision (nearsightedness) is actually improving and if it weren't for the darn astigmatism I think I'd be able to use drugstore reading glasses.

I've seriously thought about having cataract surgery a little bit "pre-need" if it would be a way to permanently correct the astigmatism problem.

"The first signs of presbyopia – eyestrain, difficulty seeing in dim light, problems focusing on small objects and/or fine print – are usually first noticed between the ages of 40 and 50."

That's when you need glasses for reading - no matter where you live. It hit me almost on my 40th birthday.

I have astigmatism, too. The Vision Center made me some bifocals for reading distance / computer distance. 3,000 for the lenses with anti-reflective, etc. Perfect.

Another option would be mono-vision contacts but I'm pretty sure that would drive me crazy.

Would 'Varifocal' glasses be the answer? The glasses with graded strength on each lens rather than 'Bifocal'. These allow one pair (set) of glasses to be used for all distances. I have used these (1st, of many, pairs, bought in BKK) for many years and find them much better than Bifocls, which I hate, and/or having 2 pairs, of which I know I would loose at least one, or both, in quick succession.

Edited by scottishjohn

Would 'Varifocal' glassses be the answer? The glasses with graded strength on each lens rather than 'Bifocal'. These allow one pair (set) of glasses to be used for all distances. I have used these (1st, of many, pairs, bought in BKK) for many years and find them much better than Bifocls, which I hate, and/or having 2 pairs, of which I know I would loose at least one, or both, in quick succession.

Astigmatism and presbyopia are two different conditions, although they can both be present at the same time. Varifocal lenses are just a way of having bifocals with a continous gradiant in the two prescriptions, or three prescriptions you may need for close, medium and distance work.

The first few months I was here I had a couple of serious falls and then realized it was because I couldn't see my feet when walking, so I was missing the holes in the sidewalks and little mini-steps they put into buildings here. The solution was to get a pair of "walking" glasses that have just my distance prescription. I use the bifocals around the house. Incidentally, I've found the "walking glasses" to be great at movies, too. I can lean back in my seat and see the movie clearly, even thru the bottom part of my glasses.

With Varifocal lenses, I still wouldn't be able to see my feet when walking nor could I lean back in the theater seat and see the movie clearly.

Edited by NancyL

/ Priceless

Yes, Vision Center.

Say no more.

went in yesterday and purchased a pair of reading glasses. He asked me if I used them on the computer I said no I had off the rack one's for that. I then asked him why and he said reading glasses would give you a headache after a while and you really needed two pairs for they are two different things.

Very informative man. took about one and a half hours for the glasses..