Filling In The Settlement Application Form

Just a few questions regarding Spouse settlement form.

1. What Method of payment is it for the Spouse Visa? Don't like to carry to much money around.

2. Is applying on line, is it the same has filling in a application Form and taking it to wireless road? Can anyone recommend applying on line? It says that you can pay By credit card. Guess the card would have to be in the GF name?

3. 8.1.2, it asks, if your asked to attend a interview, Does it effect the outcome if you ask to be interviewed in Thai. (GF does speak decent English but she struggles under pressure.

4. 8.4.6 When did you last meet your Sponsor. We are hoping to submit the application before i go home, So i will be with her, But by the time they read the application, I will be back in the UK.

5. 8.4.13. We are both Divorced, It asks for Info, So i Guess its Mr T Married to Mrs B from X Date to X Date.

6. in Your life in the UK. I have read about questions regarding your property. I do have a copy of an estate Agents information pack on my house when i was planning on selling my house back in 1995. is it a good thing to summit this since it gives all the info on my house.

7. 8.6.7 Do you intend to work in the UK. At the moment this is a No, But people are free to work on a Spouse visa, Or so i am lead to believe.

8. 8.7.10 total income after tax., Do they want the Net after all deductions or only after tax.

9. 6.1. It asks have you traveled to the UK in the last 10 years and question 6.4, It asks the same kind of question, Have been Granted a Visa in the Last 10 Years. when it asks Destination, will that be my Home address?

10. 6.4 My GF was refused a Visa back in 2008 and they want to know why she was refused, I have just bullet pointed the reasons and also placed a copy of the refusal in the back of the application.

One other Thing. we are planning on changing My girlfriends name long after getting married, Can you use the name change form that is handed to you when getting married.

Do i still need to do a Sponsors Letter and show proof of phone calls even though she has been in the UK for 6 months!!!!

I know that some of these are silly questions, But at £800 plus a shot, I want to make sure that i get it right.

Malc

Edited by malct

Malc,

I'll leave most of your questions to others, but the settlement visa application must be submitted on-line. You then print out your on-line form and book an appointment to submit the supporting documents and have biometrics done at vfs.

26 April 2011: Mandatory online UK visa applications. From 2 May all customers applying in Thailand for a UK visa are required to complete a visa application form online using the online visa application system only. Customers who have not completed a visa application form online will not be able to submit their visa application. After completing the online application form, customers will also need to book an appointment online to submit their biometric information and visa application at the visa application centre in Bangkok. Customers who visit the visa application centre without making an appointment online will be unable to submit their visa application

As for payment if you don't pay on-line I think you have to take a bankers draft rather than hard cash

Regards

Edited by toddmeister

1) i found it easier to take the cash to the vfs building, and go the bank there - on the ground floor - and get your bank cheque. you cant miss it.

2) you have to apply online. and yes it is the same as filling in a form and taking it to wireless road. you have to print the form out, once submitted and ask your wife to sign it. i do not know about paying by credit card

3) your girlfriend can be interviewed in thai language - not a problem at all

4) you just give the last date you saw her. we submitted our application this month. i was with her. so i put July / August on the form. ( i go back to the uk in Aug. )

5) yes - give as much detail as possible.

does your wife have any children>>???

6) yes, an estate agents report seems good. is your house owned or rented or mortgaged? you need to provide full details. if rented is your wife allowed to stay? i also went to landregistry.gov.uk and printed off the title deeds to my house

7) i think they are yes. what sort of work will your wife do? would she neeed a police clearance cert to show any employer?

8) total after tax. i also gave a small breakdown of my monthly outgoings - (ie household costs ?? food ?? petrol ?? clothes ?? additional expenses ?? )

9) has your wife been granted a uk visit visa? put that there. if you were sponsor put your address.

10) sounds good

yes - when you are married you can also change your name at the same time. all very painless. you will then need to change her id card then passport, get passport back, then apply for settlement.

you will need a sponsor letter and your wife will need to write an applicants letter. your sponsor letter is very important.

provideat contact evidence you can. mention that you have been living together in the uk for the last 6 months. they will understand i am sure that you cant provide much evidence for those 6 months

oh and remember to get your wife's birth certificate and divorce paper and your marriage cert translated while in thailand. this is for when you are in the uk. makes it easier

good luck

Thank you both for your Help.

Regarding online applications, its going to be one mad rush in getting married and then applying for the VISA.

Regarding the VISA, when applying on line, How soon can you get the interview?

Most likey, My GF or wife to be will have to travel into Bangkok to attend the interview and i will be at home

MY GF does have a Son who is due to go to high school in April, So no plans on him coming to the UK.

Malc

Thank you both for your Help.

Regarding online applications, its going to be one mad rush in getting married and then applying for the VISA.

Regarding the VISA, when applying on line, How soon can you get the interview?

Most likey, My GF or wife to be will have to travel into Bangkok to attend the interview and i will be at home

MY GF does have a Son who is due to go to high school in April, So no plans on him coming to the UK.

Malc

your wife would to go online, submit the application, and print it ( get a spare copy as well ). you should be able to get an appointment either that same day ( if you submit early enough ) or the next working day.

you mention your wife has a son. do you plan on applying for a visa for him in the future? who will he stay with when your wife is in the uk? does your wife have full legal custody of him? i am only asking these questions because if you did plan on bringing him over at some stage in the future, it will be a lot harder (it is a word called proving ''sole responsibility'' ). if you are planning to bring him over, make sure when your wife is here - to keep full contact evidence - money transfers to him, make sure your wife still makes the decisions in his life - about dentist, school, etc. this is so important. and the longer you leave it the harder it will be to bring him over.

Yes, My wife has a son who says with my wife to be family.

his father has nothing to do with the son and my wife has full legal custody of him.

He will be going of to high school for 3 years which i will be supporting once we are married, So we will have proof of payments to the school and his accommodation.

at the moment, We have no plans on him coming to the UK and he will be 20 by the time he finishes School.

On the note of Children, when does a child stop been a dependent child for adding details onto an application form?

Dependent children are those under the age of 18. However, I would put his details even were he over 18. Not doing so may cause problems if you later apply for a family visit visa for him as they may say that when she applied for settlement she didn't mention him on the form.

I would also include in your sponsor's letter a brief explanation of why he is not applying for settlement as well.

I understand the position you are in regarding him not applying. When my wife applied her son was the same age and in his last year of high school, with a university place lined up. So, after much discussion, we decided it would be best for him to live with his aunt and complete his education in Thailand. However, his mother missed him terribly. Eleven years later he's now married, but he's still her baby boy!

Remember that if you or he should later want him to live in the UK with you that when he reaches 18 he will not be able to apply for UK settlement as your wife's child, but will have to apply in his own right. He will, of course, be able to visit her and you in the UK.