Gassan Lake City Chiangmai

Thailand

Lake City have increased their prices to 500 baht a round still cheap but moving in to the point where they may lose out to other reasonably priced courses.

However, when I was there the other day I was told by 2 different people (staff) that a round for 18 holes + cart was 700 baht for Thais but 800 baht for Thai resident Farang! it's possible I misunderstood but did check twice.

Next time you are there please check and confirm or otherwise, not a trend I would like to see.

I have been playing there 3 times a week and was told the same thing last week. I walk so it has been 400 baht for about a year. I was told only Thai members get that rate from now on. Non Thai's pay an extra 100 baht as of last week. The woman who told me works in the office, not at the counter and she speaks quite good English. There was no mistake. (She actually seemed a little proud of the policy, oblivious to the fact I was not pleased with the obvious prejudice.)

I am now back to twice a week. It is still a good deal, but considering the patches of long grass in some fairways, and the not so smooth greens and the location, it all adds up to not as good a value. Another 100 baht and I probably wouldn't bother going at all.

The real joke is why they think the Marina course is worth close to double the Lakes course.

As for what the website says, that is useless information. When they took the money in the lobby, there was a sign that said 2400 baht (I think, may have a little more or a little less), We had a new guy joining our group, he got there early and that is what they tried to charge him.

Also for some strange reason, the "membership" is recognized at the Lakes and Khuntan courses only. Marina does not recognize it, yet when you go play Marina, you take a caddy from Lakes.

In short the place is poorly organized with loose policies. The best part is you can play a round virtually uninterrupted. The course is empty unless it is a holiday. No need to wonder why.

I have been playing there 3 times a week and was told the same thing last week. I walk so it has been 400 baht for about a year. I was told only Thai members get that rate from now on. Non Thai's pay an extra 100 baht as of last week. The woman who told me works in the office, not at the counter and she speaks quite good English. There was no mistake. (She actually seemed a little proud of the policy, oblivious to the fact I was not pleased with the obvious prejudice.)

I am now back to twice a week. It is still a good deal, but considering the patches of long grass in some fairways, and the not so smooth greens and the location, it all adds up to not as good a value. Another 100 baht and I probably wouldn't bother going at all.

The real joke is why they think the Marina course is worth close to double the Lakes course.

As for what the website says, that is useless information. When they took the money in the lobby, there was a sign that said 2400 baht (I think, may have a little more or a little less), We had a new guy joining our group, he got there early and that is what they tried to charge him.

Also for some strange reason, the "membership" is recognized at the Lakes and Khuntan courses only. Marina does not recognize it, yet when you go play Marina, you take a caddy from Lakes.

In short the place is poorly organized with loose policies. The best part is you can play a round virtually uninterrupted. The course is empty unless it is a holiday. No need to wonder why.

I guess I spoke to the same lady, and yes she certainly seemed quite proud of the fact that it was out and out discrimination. There is supposedly new management, looks like they really need to get their act together or they will ne back to where they were a year ago when the caddies all walked out. As for Marina. :whistling:

Or perhaps the new management simply do not want foreigners to play there- they may well get their wish if they continue down the same track. I have also posted this on the blog on my website which gets around 150 visitors per day so combined with here not good publicity for Gassan.

I had a voucher for Marina, from a draw at a Festival tournament. On the voucher it said '200B tax' plus I had to pay caddie fee. So I asked at the counter what the greens fee is with the GO card and was told 400B. The worst course I have ever played and I wouldn't go back if it was free. The best deal now is Gold Canyon for 650B incl. caddie. Great condition and a well run operation. Also a great deal is Mae Mo, 100B plus caddie Mon-Fri. Check out this link, http://hotels2thailand.com/, click on the golf courses tab on the left. I was in BKK last week and booked Lum Luk Ka for 800 and Blue Sapphire for 400. Pay for caddie at the course. There are some reasonable CM deals.

I had a voucher for Marina, from a draw at a Festival tournament. On the voucher it said '200B tax' plus I had to pay caddie fee. So I asked at the counter what the greens fee is with the GO card and was told 400B. The worst course I have ever played and I wouldn't go back if it was free. The best deal now is Gold Canyon for 650B incl. caddie. Great condition and a well run operation. Also a great deal is Mae Mo, 100B plus caddie Mon-Fri. Check out this link, http://hotels2thailand.com/, click on the golf courses tab on the left. I was in BKK last week and booked Lum Luk Ka for 800 and Blue Sapphire for 400. Pay for caddie at the course. There are some reasonable CM deals.

Gold Canyon 600, 1000 with cart- certainly was last week- great value, good course.

Never played Mae Mo, easy to get to?-100฿ + caddy fee worth a look!

Gold Canyon 600, 1000 with cart- certainly was last week- great value, good course.

Never played Mae Mo, easy to get to?-100฿ + caddy fee worth a look!

It's about 2 hours, just past the hwy1/hwy11 intersection at Lampang. Take 11 south not #1. Follow turn off to Mae Mo, it's about another 20km. You will see the entry to the power plant, follow the road to the golf course. Check on Google maps. It's a fantastic course with lots of elevation change and great scenic views of the open pit coal mine.

Edited by sticklee

Don't complain about the prices of your golf, come too Phuket and pay 4000 bht up!!!

No offence to Kenny999, but I for one did not come to Thailand to pay 3 times or more what I used to pay back in the States. Granted I lived in the Midwest, but I was a member at a really nice course for $1,000 per year. My average round came out to less than $10.00. No caddy fees or tips, and the people behind the counter and the maintenance crew made good money. Seems like 4000b might be lining a few select pockets. I hate it when people show we are willing to pay that much. Next it will be 500b for a LEO. (Maybe it already is in Phuket!)

Don't complain about the prices of your golf, come too Phuket and pay 4000 bht up!!!

No offence to Kenny999, but I for one did not come to Thailand to pay 3 times or more what I used to pay back in the States. Granted I lived in the Midwest, but I was a member at a really nice course for $1,000 per year. My average round came out to less than $10.00. No caddy fees or tips, and the people behind the counter and the maintenance crew made good money. Seems like 4000b might be lining a few select pockets. I hate it when people show we are willing to pay that much. Next it will be 500b for a LEO. (Maybe it already is in Phuket!)

I might have given the impression that I pay 4000 bht too play golf, I would never pay this price and the even higher green fee's here in Phuket, it is crazy here, I can only afford to play one course here which is 800 bht with my expat golf discount card, I wish I lived some where like you that has reasonable green fee's, maybe something to consider in the future.

I might have given the impression that I pay 4000 bht too play golf, I would never pay this price and the even higher green fee's here in Phuket, it is crazy here, I can only afford to play one course here which is 800 bht with my expat golf discount card, I wish I lived some where like you that has reasonable green fee's, maybe something to consider in the future.

Sorry to hear you can't afford 4,000, but glad to hear you don't pay it. We confirmed this morning the price at Mae Mo--100b green fee, 200 caddy fee. A very picturesque course and maintained impeccably. Great value.

Sorry to hear you can't afford 4,000, but glad to hear you don't pay it. We confirmed this morning the price at Mae Mo--100b green fee, 200 caddy fee. A very picturesque course and maintained impeccably. Great value.

Well I could afford to pay the 4000 bht if I only played once a month, I would never pay the high green fee's that exsist here, 100 bht that is fantastic.

I would not pay 4,000 baht either, we are lucky in Chiangmai but the point of the thread was the dual pricing at Lake City, it does not happen at the other courses here in CH what about where you are?

I would not pay 4,000 baht either, we are lucky in Chiangmai but the point of the thread was the dual pricing at Lake City, it does not happen at the other courses here in CH what about where you are?

I have not played at any of the very expensive top courses here on Phuket so I can not comment on them, there is no duel pricing on the one course I have played, no duel pricing at the ranges I go too either.

theres always been 2 prices for just about everything one for them and one for us.the only time we pay the same price is the goods or services have a marked price and even then they will try and tell it has wrong price so you can pay whgat they want or walk out.im in Uttaradit and the Sirikit Dam course is 900 thb for 18 holes,cart and caddy fee.

theres always been 2 prices for just about everything one for them and one for us.the only time we pay the same price is the goods or services have a marked price and even then they will try and tell it has wrong price so you can pay whgat they want or walk out.im in Uttaradit and the Sirikit Dam course is 900 thb for 18 holes,cart and caddy fee.

So is that 900 b for Thais or for Westerners? The OP's point is that this practice has not been overtly pursued by golf courses in the past, and it is not something we should ignore.

Back to Gassan Lakes. On Friday we informed our caddies we would not be returning next week because of this dual price policy. The caddies insisted, no same same Falang and Thai. Well I may have misunderstood the intention of the office woman presenting a certain "proudness" to the policy, but I am pretty sure I did not get the actual policy wrong. So hopefully the caddies will go in and register their feelings about us being told of a dual price policy.

Played at Lanna on Friday, got there early and missed the rush, more than happy with the 500baht including caddy fee and much better fairways and greens than Lake City.

The "sports day" rate available on Monday & Friday - the two days I used to play Gassan LC!

Played at Lanna on Friday, got there early and missed the rush, more than happy with the 500baht including caddy fee and much better fairways and greens than Lake City.

The "sports day" rate available on Monday & Friday - the two days I used to play Gassan LC!

Lanna being 'better' than Lake City is debatable. Lanna is the least rewarding and most frustrating golf course I have ever played. Although it is a nice mature layout, all fairways are buffalo/Asian grass and lies are usually 'tight' making fat or thin shots usual. Bare lies abound and the rough is hopeless. Lake City at least has fairways that give you a fair lie and you can 'get under' the ball a lot easier. Lanna's greens are all small and raised. A ball hit to the centre of the green will not hold and shots hit a little short don't bounce on. Lanna has numerous fairways with trees blocking what should be a great shot. #6, 7, 9, 11, 14 and 18 all have stupidly located trees I'd dearly love to chop down. I have not come close to shooting my handicap there and play at least twice a month. At Lake City I generally shoot a couple of strokes under my handicap. What is more enjoyable? The best deal right now is Mae Moh, 100B +caddie and Gold Canyon 650B incl. caddie everyday. Inthanon is 500B+ caddie Mon. + Tues. I would not recommend Lanna to anyone.

Lanna being 'better' than Lake City is debatable. Lanna is the least rewarding and most frustrating golf course I have ever played. Although it is a nice mature layout, all fairways are buffalo/Asian grass and lies are usually 'tight' making fat or thin shots usual. Bare lies abound and the rough is hopeless. Lake City at least has fairways that give you a fair lie and you can 'get under' the ball a lot easier. Lanna's greens are all small and raised. A ball hit to the centre of the green will not hold and shots hit a little short don't bounce on. Lanna has numerous fairways with trees blocking what should be a great shot. #6, 7, 9, 11, 14 and 18 all have stupidly located trees I'd dearly love to chop down. I have not come close to shooting my handicap there and play at least twice a month. At Lake City I generally shoot a couple of strokes under my handicap. What is more enjoyable? The best deal right now is Mae Moh, 100B +caddie and Gold Canyon 650B incl. caddie everyday. Inthanon is 500B+ caddie Mon. + Tues. I would not recommend Lanna to anyone.

Played one of my best games there last Friday so perhaps a little biased. :) Had not played there for about 2 years after too many sixballs on the course-twice.

Just annoyed with Lake City and their current stance. As much as I like it there it is unlikely I will be playing there again while the dual pricing is maintained.

• 3 weeks later...

My caddy at Gold Canyon yesterday told me she had been at Gassan Lake City for some years and left last month when yet again it was unplayable on some holes and very few golfers.

I have not been back since the "dual pricing" although I still quite liked the course- is it still bad?

My caddy at Gold Canyon yesterday told me she had been at Gassan Lake City for some years and left last month when yet again it was unplayable on some holes and very few golfers.

I have not been back since the "dual pricing" although I still quite liked the course- is it still bad?

Today it was almost unplayable. The front nine was closed. I can only imagine what it was like. There was 3" of water running across the 13th fairway just in front of the green. We waded through shin deep water in two places between the 16th tee and the green. Several other places it was ankle deep and no way to go around. Water was just over the deck on the bridge between the 16th green and the 17th tee.

The greens are getting worse, not better. They have pulled a lot of weeds out of them and left craters everywhere. Really, they should have

lowered prices, not raised them. We are going to try Lanna next week. Despite everything, I still think it is a very good layout, just desperately in need of management, and now some dry weather.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Have friend coming over to CM Mid October and would like to take him to a few new courses. Gold Canyon seems to get good reviews, any thoughts on Inthanon and Highlands courses?

I live in Lampang and love playing at Mae Mot - really is a nice course and thought it was good value when 500b/round... now it's 500b all in (caddie fee/tip) - truly great value :-)

Hi,

Have friend coming over to CM Mid October and would like to take him to a few new courses. Gold Canyon seems to get good reviews, any thoughts on Inthanon and Highlands courses?

I live in Lampang and love playing at Mae Mot - really is a nice course and thought it was good value when 500b/round... now it's 500b all in (caddie fee/tip) - truly great value :-)

GC is great. Inthanon is great too, and they have a deal till end of october. It is pay one green fee get another free. That is, two play for the price of one green fee. What i can't remember is how much that green fee was. I think it was 1000 baht. In which case a good deal before the high season kicks in.

HIghlands is the best course in the north, difficult to argue with that! Don't know what the current price is though.

Last time I played Gold Canyon, it was lousy. Has it improved?

If you want to play good courses, try Chiang Mai Highlands, Alpine, and Inthanon and Royal Chiang Mai.. (Basically in that order, although some may disagree.)

Gold Canyon has improved immeasurably. The upper nine has fantastic fairways and the lower nine is still very tough playing. Lots of landscaping done and there's always workers busy pulling weeds and manicuring.

There are still some minor isolated drainage issues on the lower 9. They have a fabulous new clubhouse and hotel with paved parking area. There is a new 9 holes going in too. I prefer Alpine over Highlands and rank Gold Canyon as #3. I prefer the layout at Inthanon but the fairways tend to be dry and hard and the grass is quite thin. As a golf course I prefer Green Valley over Royal, though they have issues with 5 and 6 balls and slow play. Royal, even though I played the round of my life winning 'A' flight in the Festival, has too many punishing fairway bunkers for my liking.