UK couple which misled social workers with twin sister convicted for deadly abuse

News_Editor

UK couple which misled social workers with twin sister convicted for deadly abuse

2011-07-26 21:54:13 GMT+7 (ICT)

BLACKBURN, ENGLAND (BNO NEWS) -- A British couple which tried to cover up the deadly abuse of their baby daughter by showing her twin sister to authorities has been convicted of child neglect and cruelty offences, police said on Tuesday.

Lancashire police said Mohammed Karolia, 29, and his wife Nafisa Karolia, 22, were found guilty on two charges of child neglect on Tuesday despite pleading not guilty to the charges in relation to the death of their seven-month-old daughter.

Baby M. was pronounced dead on June 15, 2009, after she was admitted to Royal Blackburn Hospital with breathing difficulties. An autopsy revealed she died from Bronchopneumonia which the jury decided was brought on by her debilitating injuries.

The court was told during the six week trial at Preston Crown Court that baby M. sustained 18 separate injuries including damage to her spinal cord, fractured ribs, fractures to her arm and broken legs. An inquest in April 2010 recorded a narrative verdict.

To cover up the abuse, the couple repeatedly showed the child's identical twin sister to social workers. The twin sister of M. had no injuries, thus making social workers believe that M. was safe.

"This was a truly horrific and tragic crime in which a little girl suffered horrendous injuries so we're delighted with the verdict," said Detective Inspector Pete Broome of the Lancashire police's Major Investigation Team. "Neither Nafisa or Mohammed has shown any remorse for their actions and both have failed to offer any sort of explanation for what they did."

Mohammed and Nafisa are expected to be sentenced in October. "Nothing can bring baby M. back but I hope that the verdict will bring her family some small comfort as they continue to try to come to terms with her death," Broome added.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-07-26

Why would they abuse one of their twin daughters and not the other?

It doesn't make sense, and I doubt they had the intent to abuse one and not the other to be able to show her off to the authorities...

Nutters.

"Lancashire police said Mohammed Karolia, 29, and his wife Nafisa Karolia, 22, were found guilty on two charges of child neglect on Tuesday despite pleading not guilty to the charges in relation to the death of their seven-month-old daughter"

Hmm.... doesn't sound like a British couple to me?

Heartfelt sorrows to the poor child,

and may she Rest In Peace.

Edited by MAJIC

"Lancashire police said Mohammed Karolia, 29, and his wife Nafisa Karolia, 22, were found guilty on two charges of child neglect on Tuesday despite pleading not guilty to the charges in relation to the death of their seven-month-old daughter"

...what do british couples sound like ?

What did? Whatever they are the lowest of the low and should be locked up and the key thrown away.

What did? Whatever they are the lowest of the low and should be locked up and the key thrown away.

what did what ? MAJIC said this couple don't sound British to him. I didn't understand the implication.

The implication is that Britain is changing so fast demographically that what might have not been considered a British name 50 years ago may be so now but our perceptions have not yet caught up with reality.

See what I mean, now what is the father called?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1324194/Mohammed-popular-baby-boys-ahead-Jack-Harry.html

Mohammed is now the most popular name for baby boys ahead of Jack and Harry

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1324194/Mohammed-popular-baby-boys-ahead-Jack-Harry.html#ixzz1TO3Ucpy9

Edited by Steely Dan

The implication is that Britain is changing so fast demographically that what might have not been considered a British name 50 years ago may be so now but our perceptions have not yet caught up with reality.

See what I mean, now what is the father called?

http://www.dailymail...Jack-Harry.html

Mohammed is now the most popular name for baby boys ahead of Jack and Harry

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1TO3Ucpy9

i will let MAJIC comment on the meaning of his post, but you are right - tom, dick and harry is no longer the face of britain. i still don't see the connection between the persons background and their crime however, there are plenty of criminals named john.

the fathers name is found in the original article.