Rent-a-wreck

Far Angst

I’ve been talking to a certain frequent visitor here in LOS , a Mr. Smith, telling him of the curious persons one meets here.

I told him of an acquaintance by the name Mr. Jedemann, who, while in Thailand rents a used car, dented, much driven and having been in several severe accidents. The car is unreliable, unsafe and a real gas guzzler. Mr. J pays the going rate for a new model but is actually driving an old model and the ride is that of an old, tired vehicle. Mr. J ever so often pays extra for various repairs, broken headlights, oil change, brake jobs, wheel alignment and much body and paint work. Even having paid all these extra costs the car does not start when he needs to drive and is sometimes nearly impossible to steer. The shock absorbers have lost all their bounce, the rear sags, the exhaust is too noisy and frequently the horn toots loudly with no apparent cause.

At this point Mr. S declared Mr. J a fool and an idiot who should never rent a car or at least take advice of his betters and those more wise.

I agreed totally and told him that I had time and again tried to tell Mr. J not to piss away his money as he clearly not was getting his moneys worth. We both agreed Mr. J should follow my advice.

I then proceeded to relate to Mr. S of Mr. J, who, while back in Europe working hard on the North Sea oil rigs, kept on paying the rent for the car so that it would be kept in a garage for his exclusive use. Mr. S as well as myself both were sure that the owners will rent the wreck to any and all and will just turn the mileage back before Mr. J once again appears. We then spoke of other, altogether loftier and finer things in life, things of great intellect and of refined decadence. We then parted.

Mr. S went back to his lady companion whom Mr. S had well and truly supported mentally and monetarily all these years. Mr. S had supported not only his lady friend but also her family and relatives whose ailments and misfortunes Mr. S had set right with generous remunerations. However, Mr. S was slightly reluctant in returning to the fold as his lady friend had “one of her moods” and was ill disposed towards Mr. S, who, most likely, would end up sleeping on the verandah couch. Luckily Thailand is much warmer than those North Sea oil rigs.