Ais Will Commercially Launch 3G Nationwide Tomorrow

This site has been up for a while.

If it remains it so-so pricing exempt, im using the unlimited plan and will be capped.

I feel like they will update their prices very soon. They will be higher than this. Hope I am wrong.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just tried AIS 3G in Chiang Mai - wow. Fast. Way faster than True, though True is currently going through "upgrades" and has sent me a SMS that network speed will be slow until that's done... 2 weeks or so.

I just found my modem here: It's the E160.

Huawei

UMTS frequency is 1700/2100 MHz so it won't work on 3G on AIS but will continue to work on EDGE.

No, you are wrong. The O2 Huawei E160 supports UMTS 850, 1900, 2100 MHz. So will support TRUE, DTAC(after their shafting ends) and TOT and it's MVNOs.

Plus it's not locked.

Thanks for the info, but I was referring specifically to AIS on 900 MHz which switches on today in Phuket and isn't supported by the E160.

But isn't TRUE 3G already available in Phuket?? Has been on the West coast for some time now. Any reason as to why you "specifically" want to connect via AIS?

It only takes one big move from the largest player in the market.

DTAC has just announced their 3G networks in Bangkok will launch mid-August.

For now just 240 base-stations in metro Bangkok (announced last week); additional nationwide coverage (up to 2,000 base-stations) is still on hold, AFAIK.

If anything this might prompt the still to be 'nominated' NTBC to accelerate their 2100 Mhz auction? But AIS might be able to delay that until they've captured 70% of the market. ;)

Well AIS wouldn't want to delay the 2100MHz as they won't be paying 30% of their profits to TOT anymore if they obtain the operating license from the NTBC.

AIS is taking a big risk here with 900MHz that's why they've been waiting for so long. They just couldn't resist the demand for faster data this time. What happens now is that all of their 3G equipment that they have just installed in the past month is now basically the property of TOT (as part of the concession deal with them). Moreover, the 900MHz spectrum is very very crowded. It won't be able to handle a lot of data but I think they can get away with this for a while given that the majority of phone users are not using any kind of data yet, at least on 3G.

2100MHz is still desirable to any of the Thai telcos and they will reinvest in it even if they have just deployed 3G coverage on existing spectra. Not having to share their profits to TOT or CAT is already a good enough incentive to move as soon as possible.

I would be very much interested in the coverage in the Pattaya area,especially East Pattaya , but since their website is Thai only I have no idea what I'm looking at.Anyone who can assist with that?

Edit : What I can make from the Thai map is that they have only coverage at the West side of the railway.So East Pattaya misses out once again.

Edited by janverbeem

I would be very much interested in the coverage in the Pattaya area,especially East Pattaya , but since their website is Thai only I have no idea what I'm looking at.Anyone who can assist with that?

Edit : What I can make from the Thai map is that they have only coverage at the West side of the railway.So East Pattaya misses out once again.

Don't know Pattaya much but it looks like the coverage doesn't even reach Pattaya. It's only Chonburi along Sukhumvit Road (and its West all the way to the beach) from Amphur Muang Chonburi down to Bang Saen.

Just tried AIS 3G in Chiang Mai - wow. Fast. Way faster than True, though True is currently going through "upgrades" and has sent me a SMS that network speed will be slow until that's done... 2 weeks or so.

Competition is good :)

What map are you looking at? I only saw a map of Chonburi city, not any of Pattaya. I'd be happy to be corrected on this!

Well AIS wouldn't want to delay the 2100MHz as they won't be paying 30% of their profits to TOT anymore if they obtain the operating license from the NTBC.

AIS is taking a big risk here with 900MHz that's why they've been waiting for so long. They just couldn't resist the demand for faster data this time. What happens now is that all of their 3G equipment that they have just installed in the past month is now basically the property of TOT (as part of the concession deal with them). Moreover, the 900MHz spectrum is very very crowded. It won't be able to handle a lot of data but I think they can get away with this for a while given that the majority of phone users are not using any kind of data yet, at least on 3G.

2100MHz is still desirable to any of the Thai telcos and they will reinvest in it even if they have just deployed 3G coverage on existing spectra. Not having to share their profits to TOT or CAT is already a good enough incentive to move as soon as possible.

I definitely understand some of your points and would add:

AIS long ago negotiated a 20% tax, not that any concessionaire (AIS/TAC/True) is paying those in full or on time, if the various disputes are to be believed. Further I'm not sure how data services are accounted for so would not be surprised to learn those are not being taxed at all.

AIS's concession ends in 2015, and equipment installed (a veritable hodge-podge by the way; a lot of free equipment given by different manufacturers in hopes of selling more; I'd hardly be surprised to learn that AIS got all this new 3G equipment for free or a significant discount although they did tell financial analysts they were spending 2.5 B baht) would be property of TOT under the Build-Transfer-Operate (BTO) model. However I imagine there may be exclusions for data or "experimental trial" equipment. Given the current political situation it's easy to imagine the concession getting another extension although TOT is looking at other operators.

Edited by lomatopo

Competition is good :)

What map are you looking at? I only saw a map of Chonburi city, not any of Pattaya. I'd be happy to be corrected on this!

You are correct that it is the map of Chonburi,but as google doesn't translate the image I only assumed that this was hopefully a drawing of the beach all the way down to Pattaya.

I definitely understand some of your points and would add:

AIS long ago negotiated a 20% tax, not that any concessionaire (AIS/TAC/True) is paying those in full or on time, if the various disputes are to be believed. Further I'm not sure how data services are accounted for so would not be surprised to learn those are not being taxed at all.

AIS's concession ends in 2015, and equipment installed (a veritable hodge-podge by the way; a lot of free equipment given by different manufacturers in hopes of selling more; I'd hardly be surprised to learn that AIS got all this new 3G equipment for free or a significant discount although they did tell financial analysts they were spending 2.5 B baht) would be property of TOT under the Build-Transfer-Operate (BTO) model. However I imagine there may be exclusions for data or "experimental trial" equipment. Given the current political situation it's easy to imagine the concession getting another extension although TOT is looking at other operators.

Well - this is the poodle's core, so to say. This is the reason 3G is such a mess. You have TOT and CAT on the one hand who are trying to extend their "concession fees" (aka money for nothing, tax, etc) on to 3G networks; and you have the private operators who are trying to avoid having to pay these fees in the future. Obviously, huge sums of money are involved.

Compared to that, the cost of installing equipment is negligible.

AIS have been planning this for a long long time. Preference was to get proper 3G through the auction but when it increasingly looked like the auction was going to be stalled they started activating 'plan B'. Nothing to do with the change in government even though the new PM used to be the CEO of AIS!

AIS have been planning this for a long long time. Preference was to get proper 3G through the auction but when it increasingly looked like the auction was going to be stalled they started activating 'plan B'. Nothing to do with the change in government even though the new PM used to be the CEO of AIS!

LOL... sure, nothing to do with it... BTW didn't mean to imply AIS asked the government for assistance - I don't know that. But I can very well imagine one government looking kindly upon such 3G expansion plans by AIS, and another (which happened to be heavily invested in True) rather the opposite...

LOL... sure, nothing to do with it... BTW didn't mean to imply AIS asked the government for assistance - I don't know that. But I can very well imagine one government looking kindly upon such 3G expansion plans by AIS, and another (which happened to be heavily invested in True) rather the opposite...

Speeds this morning near BTS phrom pong on iPhone 4 AIS 3G:

Down: 3.2mb

Up: 0.7mb

given new life to my iPhone. :)

GF is on old 2G unlimited plan still and she is connecting to 3G but limited to Down: 0.4mb. Still faster than last week without 3G.

Edited by negreanu

I registered for the 3g package yesterday as I work in Bangkok but live in Pattaya. In all fairness to the operator, she was very quick when she saw my billing address to tell me that it is not in Pattaya yet, Chonburi itself has it, and it gets down as far as Bangsaen at present. She wasn't sure how long it will take to get here,but can't be too long, but would imagine the city itself would get it before the dark side.

Current AIS 3G packaging/pricing: http://www.ais.co.th...3G_package.html

Yes, it does appear as though AIS have spent the last few months installing equipment. ;)

Link to new packages, but perhaps not yet verifiable?

Pricing/packaging seems on par-ish with True; 500 MB for 400 baht. Not exactly sure if this post-paid only, or includes pre-paid?

My source gives me a different set of packages .. interesting:

- 150 Baht for 150MB of 3G+/EDGE+

- 350 Baht for 1GB of 3G+/EDGE+

- 550 Baht for 2GB of 3G+/EDGE+ and unlimited 3BB Wi-Fi

- 799 Baht for unlimited access (data speed capped to 384kbps after 3GB of usage, fair-use policy)

I'm quite confident with my source, as it's a friend of mine who works with senior AIS 3G marketing team :)

This link is down. Anyone have the link for the current AIS 3G packages? Prepaid? Maybe I'll stop into the shop next time I go to town and see what the hype is about.

edit: do you need a separate sim card? or can I add on to my ais 1-2 call sim?

Edited by 4evermaat

This link is down. Anyone have the link for the current AIS 3G packages? Prepaid? Maybe I'll stop into the shop next time I go to town and see what the hype is about.

edit: do you need a separate sim card? or can I add on to my ais 1-2 call sim?

http://www.ais.co.th/vas/datatips/

You can layer these on top of a One-2-Call pre-paid SIM, I followed a link from One-2-Call, T's & C's say so as well.

You can register via eServices, or by using the service messages shown in the link. For example: * 133 * 22 # SEND , for 1 GB/250 Baht. Or by ringing 1175.

http://www.ais.co.th/vas/datatips/

You can layer these on top of a One-2-Call pre-paid SIM, I followed a link from One-2-Call, T's & C's say so as well.

You can register via eServices, or by using the service messages shown in the link. For example: * 133 * 22 # SEND , for 1 GB/250 Baht. Or by ringing 1175.

Thanks. now I may just use my samsung cooper hotspot when I go to bangkok. And to think, I just purchased True modem a couple of months ago. Oh well. I can give it to a friend or keep as a spare.

I hope the good reports keep on coming...

edit: does it auto-renew every month? Or you must renew every month?

Edited by 4evermaat

is there a coverage map for AIS 3G?

Would be nice if they did something for Chumphon, but I know that's a pie dream. Then again, it was a pie dream to have nationwide 3g coverage, but AIS proved all of us complaining falang wrong.

Would be nice if they did something for Chumphon, but I know that's a pie dream. Then again, it was a pie dream to have nationwide 3g coverage, but AIS proved all of us complaining falang wrong.

There is at least no coverage in Chumpon,as you say,and there is none in Pattaya and I can sum up many more places so which part from nationwide you don't understand?

See post #29.

Or, http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/3g/coverage/

Believe it is referred to as a pipe dream, unless in Thinglish. ;) But I do also dream about pies. :D

This might help re: coverage...

AIS inks roaming deal with TOT for its 3G customers (Thailand)

On 08.01.11, In Mobile, By Editor

The Thailand based Advanced Info Service (AIS) stated that it will start to enable 3G national roaming for its customers, powered by the network operated by the state-owned TOT, with effect from the beginning of October.

AIS boasts of 60,000 customers who will have access to the 3G network operated by TOT in Greater Bangkok and the upcoming nationwide network for data services, by way of the deal signed with TOT. Up to 1 million AIS customers will be allowed to roam on the networks in one year’s time.

Currently, Bangkok and seven other major provinces are covered by the HSPA enabled 3G network owned by AIS. In addition, the operator has close to 1,880 3G enabled base stations, running on the interim 900 MHz spectrum.

3G licenses in the more conventional 2100 MHz spectrum are still to be awarded by the government. According to the chief operating officer Mark Chong Chin Kok, AIS is looking to invest more once it gets the 2.1GHz license.