Ais Will Commercially Launch 3G Nationwide Tomorrow

Wondering if I'm ever gonna see the 3G logo on my iPhone in Pattaya through AIS <_<

Maybe with Photoshop? :)

Seriously, and it probably goes without saying, but you and others should contact AIS and make it clear you want this service in Pattaya. And with contact might come details re: planned availability?

AIS have many contact points so if you are comfortable calling you could email them.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wondering if I'm ever gonna see the 3G logo on my iPhone in Pattaya through AIS <_<

Seriously, and it probably goes without saying, but you and others should contact AIS and make it clear you want this service in Pattaya. And with contact might come details re: planned availability?

AIS have many contact points so if you are comfortable calling you could email them.

In bangkok, Wong Wien Yai (2km from BTS). I layered on the 1GB 3g package, but do not see the 3G icon (samsung galaxy cooper).

left the true 3g stick at home :(

1) is coverage in Wong Wien Yai?

2) is there a 3g mifi device that i can use with the AIS 3g?

it is possible that the apt building isn't the best spot. I did need an extension cord for the True stick to negotiate the best internet service.

In bangkok, Wong Wien Yai (2km from BTS). I layered on the 1GB 3g package, but do not see the 3G icon (samsung galaxy cooper).

left the true 3g stick at home :(

1) is coverage in Wong Wien Yai?

2) is there a 3g mifi device that i can use with the AIS 3g?

it is possible that the apt building isn't the best spot. I did need an extension cord for the True stick to negotiate the best internet service.

http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/3g/coverage/

Looks like you may literally be SoL.

Maybe go up on the roof just to see if there is any signal.

i called and they said near BTS station Wong Wien Yai, they do not have coverage right now, but they would pass my concern up the chain. Maybe 1-2 months :(

only 350 baht. That's what i get for making assumption. I will test at the airport, Siam Paragon, and other locations. Maybe I will pick up 3g mifi device where can i get?

http://www.ais.co.th...et/3g/coverage/

Looks like you may literally be SoL.

Maybe go up on the roof just to see if there is any signal.

I did not go higher up on that apartment building. I only checked my phone as I was walking away to see if there was any 3g. didn't appear so. BUT.....

I'm at the Isara hotel about 2/3 km behind Robinson in Wong Wien Yai and I'm getting a 3G signal, with an "h" in the 3g icon. Sometimes it will say '3g' (when idle?). The signal varies in my room, but just figured i'd chime in to report the speed

The letter switched back to E, but the speeds on my laptop (using mobile hotspot) seem to suggest that it is still on 3g. but now it truly went back to edge :(.

It's funny, the hotel had wifi, but as I rebooted my phone before it connected back to wifi, the 3g icon flashed briefly.

Any way to FORCE the data connection on 3g only? even if I need a 3rd party app to do this? maybe i'll need the datacard application and usb stick. hoping there id a way to do this from the mobile.

EDIT: got this from another forum: http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-536234.html

1) dial *#*#4636#*#* from dialpad

2) select "phone information"

3) scroll down until you see "set preferred network type"

4) change to "WCDMA only" (mine was on "GSM auto (PRL)" originally) WCDMA preferred may be good enough also. Experiment.

5) press back button.

I think you have to actually have a 3g signal first in order to do this. Mine keeps reverting back to "GSM auto (PRL)"

there is also a program called AnyCut / BetterCut that is supposed to do something similar.

PS: i also noticed on the same "phone information" page, if you press the menu key, there is an option for "select radio band" I'm wondering if those of you with Samsung captivate or SII, if you ere having problems using one of your 3G bands, would this solve the problem? Maybe my cooper phone supports 850mhz 3g and i can unlock it here or in another menu? just a thought.

Edited by 4evermaat

I confess you lost me with your post.

The preferred method of operation is dual (aka auto) mode. Settings, Wireless and network, Mobile networks, Network Mode: GSM/WCDMA (auto mode).

You should never need to "force" a specific type of mobile broadband connection. You change the acquisition order: Auto, GSM->WCDMA, WCDMA->GSM

If you want to tinker try *#*#197328640#*#* Phone Control UE State Control RAT State: Dual, WCDMA, GSM

Your phone only has two (2) PAM and SAW filters for 900 Mhz and 2100 Mhz 3G. It is not capable of using 850 Mhz 3G even though you might see that WCDMA frequency in a service menu. Yes you cna choose it, no it will not work. No, it cannot be "reprogrammed", or "reflashed".

I took a day trip from Pattaya to Bangkok today for some shopping. It was a chance to check the AIS 3G on my iPhone 4.

I got my first ever 3G signal at the airport, waiting for the Express Train (I was pretty excited!). However, when I did a speed test, it was a real disappointment: about .3 MPS down. It took forever to even check e-mail.

I tried various locales in Bangkok and finally found another 3G signal at the Emporium with the same slow speed.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need a plan to get real speeds?

All they need now is a nationwide network !

@ 900 Mhz on a non-standard frequency and with a concession of a few years left ........ will be interesting to see if this is for real or a marketing ploy.

It works right now in Chiang Mai. It's real.

Who knows what will happen in a few years, but chances are the connectivity will not get worse, and maybe even get better?!