Thai Steelmaker Says To Create 1,000 Jobs In Britain

webfact

Thai steelmaker says to create 1,000 jobs in Britain

LONDON, July 28, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand's biggest steelmaker SSI said on Wednesday that it plans to create 1,000 jobs and resume operations at a mothballed plant in England it recently bought from Indian-owned rival Corus.

SSI said the jobs would be created at the Teesside Cast Products plant in Redcar, northeastern England, which it bought for about $470 million in February after it had been mothballed by Corus, a unit of India's Tata Steel.

"There will be up to 1,000 new jobs created," the company said in a statement.

SSI UK chief executive Phil Dryden said it would start recruiting workers in August.

"SSI UK's aim is to create a safe, successful and sustainable business, which will lead to the business becoming a world-class steelmaker," he added in a statement.

"Teesside can look forward to large-scale steel production once again, producing 3.6 million tonnes of steel in the first year. That's something for us all to celebrate," Business Secretary Vince Cable said.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-07-28

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do hope that they know what they are getting in to. Dealing with the unions will be a novelty and the workers won't accept living on a bowl of rice. I wonder what the works canteen will serve up and whether qualified masseuses will be available to easy aching muscles. I can't help thinking that this may turn out to be the comedy of the decade.

And the The times, they are a changin...

In 25 years Thais will be going to England for cheap holidays, drinking , whoring etc, they will all get 30 days visa at the airport, Farangs will have to go through a rigorous means test to be able to get a Visa to come to prosperous Thailand, many will have their Visa applications rejected. laugh.gif

As long as Thailand doesn't make the same mistake as western countries and have uncontrolled immigration, and whole sections of people who are happy to live off of the welfare state, want more money for beer and drugs, have another kid, the government will give you more money etc etc, Thailand will do good.

That's one thing about being a developing Nation, they can look at the total mess that developed nations have found themselves in and try a different approach.

In this thread I expect to see the usual snide comments aimed at putting Thais and Thailand down, look in your own backyard first, see what a mess it all is and how can anybody do any worse.

Edited by GM1955

In 25 years Thais will be going to England for cheap holidays, drinking , whoring etc, they will all get 30 days visa at the airport, Farangs will have to go through a rigorous means test to be able to get a Visa to come to prosperous Thailand, many will have their Visa applications rejected. laugh.gif

As long as Thailand doesn't make the same mistake as western countries and have uncontrolled immigration, and whole sections of people who are happy to live off of the welfare state, want more money for beer and drugs, have another kid, the government will give you more money etc etc, Thailand will do good.

That's one thing about being a developing Nation, they can look at the total mess that developed nations have found themselves in and try a different approach.

In this thread I expect to see the usual snide comments aimed at putting Thais and Thailand down, look in your own backyard first, see what a mess it all is and how can anybody do any worse.

Well said! I suppose it would be to much to expect a bit of encouragement from the muppets, who seem to be in the majority at times, on this website

I hope I live to see the day this happens. Maybe this will be the incentive for me to cut down on smoking, drinking.......

Great news for Teesside, greetings to all expat "Smoggies" everywhere

Re "putting Thailand down" - In the west the workers fought against absolute monarchy, corrupt religions , exploitative bosses etc hundreds of years ago, the workers saw through all the brainwashing, personality cults and propaganda that was used to keep their wages low. That is why present day workers from the west have enough cash, pensions and benefits to settle in poor countries like Thailand that have HUGE gaps between top and bottom

The Thai workers could also have risen up and fought for their rights in the past, but they did NOT.

Edited by parmo1

I do hope that they know what they are getting in to. Dealing with the unions will be a novelty and the workers won't accept living on a bowl of rice. I wonder what the works canteen will serve up and whether qualified masseuses will be available to easy aching muscles. I can't help thinking that this may turn out to be the comedy of the decade.

The chief exec is an English guy by the sound of his name. So I am sure that they must know what they are getting into?

jb1

A foriegn company buying land in Uk I wonder if they had to go and get a Uk girl to be a trustee and buy it in her name.

I often wonder who owns the British Embassy on Wireless road, I heard it was Nok from the Buffalo bar .

So much for reciprocal agreements.

I think they just might have done their homework on this somehow!!!

I often wonder who owns the British Embassy on Wireless road, I heard it was Nok from the Buffalo bar .

Ugh, have you been there recently? Not a british person in sight and all the Thai are blunt rude except for the people behind the actual desks.

They are NOT creating NEW jobs, they are just taking over a steel plant that has been mothballed for a year. It was bought from an Indian company, it is just a financial deal, the Thais will not concern themselves with Unions, anyway i am sure that the steelworkers will be just happy to have work again. Thai bosses will have to learn how to operate in European context, respecting laws, playing by the rules, no corruption, bribing people like in Thailand, maybe they will learn a big lesson.

I think they just might have done their homework on this somehow!!!

A foriegn company buying land in Uk I wonder if they had to go and get a Uk girl to be a trustee and buy it in her name.

They have bought a redundant moth balled company and not the land as such. In addition to this they are going to be employing 1,000 workers in an employment deficit zone which I'm sure that a lot of people in the area are going to be absolutely delighted about!!! So let's be thankful and not compare Thailands idiotic land ownership rights laws with what this company is doing.

Re "putting Thailand down" - In the west the workers fought against absolute monarchy, corrupt religions , exploitative bosses etc hundreds of years ago, the workers saw through all the brainwashing, personality cults and propaganda that was used to keep their wages low. That is why present day workers from the west have enough cash, pensions and benefits to settle in poor countries like Thailand that have HUGE gaps between top and bottom

The Thai workers could also have risen up and fought for their rights in the past, but they did NOT.

This is a brilliant summary of 500 years of history in UK and Europe.

Should we expect Thailand to fast-forward through all that time in about 20/30 years, in order to get to the position of the West?

Thailand is a total contradiction: socially and politically, a medieval society (monks serving monarchy and upper classes) , but economically an advanced industrial society. The Chinese have managed, so far, to solve this kind of contradiction, but Thailand needs quickly to go the way of China if it is to avoid ever-increasing political unrest.

Thanks for putting the problem so well.

PS, the unions are not likely to be in on this new development. Starting from scratch and with unemployment high and wages low....say no more..

Ugh, have you been there recently? Not a british person in sight and all the Thai are blunt rude except for the people behind the actual desks.

Bit off topic but talk in big words so they dont understand, that usually brings them down the earth, then ask for someone who speaks English.

They have bought a redundant moth balled company and not the land as such. In addition to this they are going to be employing 1,000 workers in an employment deficit zone which I'm sure that a lot of people in the area are going to be absolutely delighted about!!! So let's be thankful and not compare Thailands idiotic land ownership rights laws with what this company is doing.

As long as it is accepted that Thailand does have idiotic land ownership rights is all I was pointing out. However I am unsure as to how you know that the SSI bought just the company and not the land as such, becaue they could if they wanted to. and would be foolish if they did'nt as the developed land would then increase in Value.

First rule,- secure tenure.

Edited by Fishface

Should we expect Thailand to fast-forward through all that time in about 20/30 years, in order to get to the position of the West?

I hope not, look at the state of the west !! ohmy.gif

They can learn from the mistakes of the west maybe, and try to do things different.

I am just laughing at the small d*cked Thai men going with fat English bargirls

LOL

Parmo, I see what you're talking about and I actually thought to edit my original post.

Then again, maybe when they can't afford to gorge themselves on sweets and hamburgers anymore the Women will get slimmer, then again Thai guys like a bit of meat, Toot Yai, Nom Yai and all that.

Me, I'll stick with Lek ! biggrin.gif

are there still Steelworks in Wales, "blazes" ? SHotton and south Wales ? just interested

China ? Hmm, i think their troubles have not yet started, the communist leaders have just become the capitalists, that's all. Once the workers achieve some independence and start to seek freedom, that is when the problems will start.

Yes, i agree about your medieval Thailand.

But good news about British jobs

This is a brilliant summary of 500 years of history in UK and Europe.

Thailand is a total contradiction: socially and politically, a medieval society (monks serving monarchy and upper classes) , but economically an advanced industrial society. The Chinese have managed, so far, to solve this kind of contradiction, but Thailand needs quickly to go the way of China if it is to avoid ever-increasing political unrest.

Thanks for putting the problem so well.

PS, the unions are not likely to be in on this new development. Starting from scratch and with unemployment high and wages low....say no more..

Bit off topic but talk in big words so they dont understand, that usually brings them down the earth, then ask for someone who speaks English.

ROFLMAO well said!

Is the Thai company aware that wages in England are about 10 times that of LOS ? Ever heard of rabid British unions in the North ? When they say theyre going to hire 1000 workers; do they mean anglo saxons or Paki's Indians and Tamils .Please clarify.

I'm quite sure they have taken into account the wage bill, they own companies, they don't go multi national for nothing.

It will grate on peoples nerves that Thai people will employ Brits, but its a fact we will all have to face in the future, there ain't no more Rule Britannia, Britannia Rules the Waves.

In the future you want a job, you'll be working for Asian businessmen or going hungry cos there will be no more social security in UK, like there isn't in most of Asia now, things are changing, the once rich and powerful nations will be the slaves of The Asian Revolution ! smile.gif

The chief exec is an English guy by the sound of his name. So I am sure that they must know what they are getting into?

jb1

One would assume that before making a 470 million investment, some sort of feasibility study would have been carried out. Incidentally, an Australian friend of mine, in Engineering, now buys all of his steel products from Thailand, because better made and better price.

As usual, most of the posts in this forum is negative...

I wonder why most of the members live, or have their hollidays in Thailand - or even worse; marry a thaigirl, since Thailand have to be the worst country in the world.

They're all Brit, check their passports. Some of them are running your businesses and one was recently the Prime Minister of Thailand. How did you miss that one? Never mind, Briton's got a long way to go before they're taken over by the masses of Thai's begging for entry and citizenship in the Queens country. The third largest population of Thai's by city is Los Angles, California. 1st is Bangkok and second is Chiang Mai. I think London's got a ways to goas the majority of foreign residents appear to be from India, British West Indies, Haiti, Africa and the entire Abdul Mohammed family from Pakistan numbering 12 million members at last count. All previously mentioned British citizens contribute to the overall quality of life to be found in London and further afield in greater parts of the UK. Shall we toast to the new and prosperous enterprise of "steel making/pot metal works," over priced and over paid for by the UK's latest sucker looking for a future in England. Cheers mates!!!