Thinking About A Kawasaki D-Tracker 250

Duindam

This afternoon I will visit Kawasaki to look at a D-Tracker 250. According to my brother in law the Kawasaki is the best supermotard bike available in Thailand (strong statement).

What are the experiences from people, who actual have a D-Tracker 250 - what are the Pros and Cons?

Best value for money supermoto? Yes

Best supermoto? No

What would be a better supermoto?

Plenty of Suzuki DRZ400SM's to be found for similar $$$ but not many with green book. If you have a fat wallet then these are a tad better than the D-Tracker

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html?content=http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/bikes/urban/g650xmo/g650xmo_main.html&notrack=1

http://www.ducatithailand.com/scoops/H796/

http://www.ktmthailand.net/pricelist.html

But if you don't want to pay lots of import taxes and want a legal bike then the D-Tracker would be the best option or maybe the Versys, it isn't a supermoto but not far off.

Versys = too heavy for a Supermoto.

DRZ400 is a pretty attractive alternative but if legal and in good shape it's going to be quite a bit dearer than the D-Tracker. These things are way stronger than the D-Tracker, at about the same weight.

KTM or Hypermotard for the fat wallet.

Is the G650Gs any good? Seems too heavy for a super motard...

Anyway the D-Tracker is a fun little bike, probably even more fun after some mods. You need to de-restrict it to get any kind of performance out of it though, and even then it's a bit of a weak 250.

DRZ400 is a pretty attractive alternative but if legal and in good shape it's going to be quite a bit dearer than the D-Tracker. These things are way stronger than the D-Tracker, at about the same weight.

Anyway the D-Tracker is a fun little bike, probably even more fun after some mods. You need to de-restrict it to get any kind of performance out of it though, and even then it's a bit of a weak 250.

Nikster, you had the D-Tracker and now the Versys, apart from the obvious difference in power how do they compare in terms of handling, fun etc?

Edited by skybluestu

Nikster, you had the D-Tracker and now the Versys, apart from the obvious difference in power how do they compare in terms of handling, fun etc?

Used to have a Dtracker 250. easy riding, light, even deristricted bit low on power, good brakes(for the unrestricted speeds), stock IRC tyres not very good, and hasslefree kawasaki quality and cheap spareparts and service all over the country

my GF used it for a group ride and she couldnt keep up with the sportsbikes so had to ride with the harleys, shes riding a Ninja650R now

Thanks for all the advice, I bought a Kawasaki D-Tracker 250, the Versys is an impressive motorcycle and for a few seconds I wanted one. But realistic I only travel a few kilometers per day, from Suthisarn Road to Lad Phrao and visa-versa.

The Kawasaki D-Tracker is more expensive than what I originally planned to spend. But I will likely only use the bike for less than three years and everybody tells me that I would get much more back for a Kawasaki compared to the other brand I was considering.

Only does a short test ride of both the D-Tracker and the Versys ... but in traffic the extra weight and width of the Versys is very noticeable and the extra power is not much use.

But I guess that out of the city the Versys would come into it's own?

FWIW the Versys is no wider than the D-Tracker but the D-Tracker is sold restricted and extremely underpowered in stock form... :)

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Perhaps if the OP told us where and what kind of riding is planned we can give better advice.

I'd say the KTM 690 SMC is the only "real" supermotard you can get here although it's heavy at ~139kg.

I'd say the DTX is just a motard as it has little power.

There are those Chinese motards too but reliability is unproven.

Real supermotards like a Husqvarna SM510 are ~109 Kg but they aren't sold here.

The Ducati Hypermotard (~177kg) only looks like a motard and the Versys is worse at ~181kilos.

Although most bikes may have similar width handlebars, I find the width of the main body affects my ability to cut through traffic.

I rode the Versys in BKK and hated it because I got stuck in traffic where my DTX (with chopped handlebars) can go where most scooters can go.

I have a DTX250 and its slow as molasses compared to a "real" supermotard but I think it handles pretty well at BRC and it's faster than 95% of Bangkok traffic.

If you have the money get a KTM or import a Husqvarna.

Otherwise the DTX250 is as good as it gets here.

Besides being cheap to maintain, a big plus of the DTX250 is when you get bored of the road, you can get some KLX250S wheels and make it a competent dual sport/off road bike.

You can't do tight singletrack like this (~time 6:40) on a Versys or Hypermotard because when you drop it five times a day, you won't have the energy to pick it up.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7FuItRCm03Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by ttakata

Congratulations, derestriction is easy and in order along with a remade seat.

55,000 happy kilometers with my DT, but I wouldn't call it a supermotard. Super would suggest 400c plus tweaked with full motorcross suspension properly uprated for street work; firstly it's something that easily lifts the front wheel. The DT would be a super if it held a crazy tweaked 2 stroke 250 with full 11 inches plus of uprated bounce; now that would certainly be fun. The DT is a motard, but is the KSR?

The Versys is only heavier to park, but is more fun then the DT in traffic; it's a hoot lofting the wheel over curbs to scoot by traffic - something that caused damage to a Ninja 650 the last time I rode a rental (they didn't see that).

I'm very happy with my decision of buying a Kawasaki D-Tracker, and the low power – considering that the bike I wanted to buy before (Tiger X-Road 250) only has 16 horsepower while weighing 130kg, I can accept the power of the Kawasaki

Edited by Duindam

It was my first big bike and for that it was great, it looked great, and handled well, but in hindsight I have to say I didn't know how to ride it properly; I have ridden with some who do know how to ride this bike, and at least in the mountains they could keep up with the liter bikes.... when I had mine I was just learning, I only started to tear up the mountain roads on the ER-6n I had after the D-Tracker. So... can't really compare.

I kind of want to get one again and ride it properly... I think it would be loads of fun in the hands of the right person :D

I'm very happy with my decision of buying a Kawasaki D-Tracker, and the low power – considering that the bike I wanted to buy before (Tiger X-Road 250) only has 16 horsepower while weighing 130kg, I can accept the power of the Kawasaki

Congrats, it's an awesome bike!

Get it de-restricted as soon as you can....

Congrats Duindam.

My bad, I somehow skipped over your post #9 earlier.

I write in forums thinking someone else reading might be in the same situation.

Anyway the DTX is a great bike that you won't ever have to worry about fixing or selling and for what you're doing, it's plenty fast.

Maybe one day you can run out to BRC (Bangkok Racing Circuit) and have some fun with it on the track.

D Tracker has earned a place in my stable. Wonderful bike in city traffic sitting tall and skinny to slip between cars and objects.

In the mountains outside of CM I spank the big bikes. Just posers who want you to think they can ride, but are affraid to damage their million baht Ducati or over weight Busa.

Did take mine on a cross country tour, not really by choice but glad I did. Purchased mine from the factory and had to ride it to it's new home up north. My butt was crying for mercy every 100 km and I found myself lingering at the PTT stations longer than I usually would.

After being embarassed by a few CBR150's I did have mine de restricted. Changed the bike for me. Seat and tires are on the list to change when the time is right. Want the Scorpion Trails for the occation I use it off road to explore something.

Bike constantly gets over 70 mpg (30 kpl) Happy for the excuse to stop for petrol with the bad seat and small 7 ltr tank. Love the clock, why doesn't every bike have one ? and dual trip meters !

Wonderful bike when used properly for what it was made to do. Not the best for passengers, nor cross country, but wasn't made to. Would be hard as "My" only bike, but it isn't. Depending on your driving it might be right for you

I do like the DT, but wish it were a bit quicker & lighter. Anybody know what the de-restrict options in LoS, and approx cost are? Would also like to know if anybody has done an engine swap to a 400 or bore & stroke kits to bump up the interest level a bit.

I do like the DT, but wish it were a bit quicker & lighter. Anybody know what the de-restrict options in LoS, and approx cost are? Would also like to know if anybody has done an engine swap to a 400 or bore & stroke kits to bump up the interest level a bit.

you can buy a derestriction box at kwaker

or you can cut and rewire a few wires on ECU in 10 minutes

both solutions can be read about in Dtracker250 topic here in ThaiVisa Bikes

derestricting is a must, as I recall it doesnt rev over 7000rpm in 3rd-6th gear while restricted

and it is a fun bike :D

Regarding the seat you can get it redone at most scooter seat shops.

Just show them some pics from this site or draw out how wide you want it and they should get the idea.

I've had mine redone a few times for 800-1200 baht.

http://seatconcepts....ndex.php?p=1_38

Dang! 800-1200 Baht? That's pretty overpriced for Thailand unless you're adding gel or recovering with leather or something fancy like that...

I get reshapes done for 250 Baht and re-shape and recover for 300-400 Baht here and Toon Sutthisan. The master at work:

Walking distance from Kawasaki Rama 9- about 50 yards past the Ratchadapisek junction on the left side.

Ride On!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Sigh...I know  I'm overpaying.

First place was somewhere around Thanon Chan Soi 26 near Chinatown, they charged me 800 baht.

http://maps.google.c...=16&iwloc=A

Second place was Sukhumvit Soi 71, and they charged me 1200 baht.

http://maps.google.c...;num=1&z=18

I even explain in Thai that I know a scooter seat is 300 baht and my DTX seat is around the same size.

Unfortunately I look Japanese and these racist bastards don't need my business so they won't budge on price for me.

I even showed the last place my US passport to prove I wasn't some rich Japanese guy and still no sympathy.

It just sucks for me, but there's not much I can do.

I laugh when Farangs think they're being ripped off, the Japanese are ripped off the most because they have the money and don't like getting into public conflicts.

So Tony, your seat place is on the South West side of the Rama9/Ratchada intesection?

Guess I'll go there from now on and hope they're not as bad to me as the other places.

Edited by ttakata