Ubon - Chiang Mai Flights

my friend I

There are no direct flights Ubon/Chiang Mai/Ubon as far as I know.

Bangkok and Phuket are the only two destinations that can be reached by a direct flight!

But lets hope for the future! :D

I spoke to an official at Ubon Airport about one month ago and Air Asia are planning 3 trips a week Ubon to Chiang Mai and return.. The schedule Has not been set as yet, but watch this space as they say. Would be very good if they do it!

I spoke to an official at Ubon Airport about one month ago and Air Asia are planning 3 trips a week Ubon to Chiang Mai and return.. The schedule Has not been set as yet, but watch this space as they say. Would be very good if they do it!

In the interim, Nakornchai Air run a very good bus service from Ubon through SiSaKet, Surin, Buriram and on to Chiang Mai, Many buses every day. Their 1st class service is especially good .

Hi John, you should have said something a month ago! If true, that is very good news indeed.

In March 2010 Nakhon Chiangmai Air received approval from The Department of Civil Aviation to begin flights as soon as possible between Chiang Mai and Ubon as well as other regional centres including Udon Thani, Phitsanulok and Nakhon Ratchasima with plans to add Burma at a later stage.

They planned to use the French made ATR-72 which is what Laos Airlines currently use.

I heard nothing else since then so if AA are going to do the flight then more power to them!

I have just had a live chat with Air Asia about the Ubon-Chiang Mai flights. One might think a live chat means you get your information quite fast. Well, it t

ook about half an hour to get this answer: (The re will be flights) "SOON".

Here's the conversation. Enjoy:

An online representative will be with you shortly. You are number 8 in queue. Your wait time will be approximately 10 minute(s). Thank you for waiting. <BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

Selina: How can I assist you today?

Chris (Mr.): on Air Asia website I see one should be able to book direct flights from Ubon Ratchathani to Chiang Mai. But when you try booking this flight, it is impossible.

Selina: One moment please

Selina: TQ

Selina: May I have the travel date please.

Chris (Mr.): I haven't chosen a date yet, probably somewhere in august.

Selina: Could you please provide me a date so that I can check it for you

Chris (Mr.): ANY date in August

Selina: I do apologise that there's no flight available

Chris (Mr.): But does Air Asia fly from Ubon to Chiang Mai ??

Selina: Yes, soon

Selina: But for now, there's no flight from Ubon to Chiang mai

Chris (Mr.): Any idea when the service starts?

Selina: I do apologise for the inconvenience, however, please be inform that I am unable to give the exact advise on the above due to limited accessibility. You may check www.airasia.com from time to time for further updates.

Chris (Mr.): You tell me to check the website: the website tells me there IS a direct flight from Ubon to Chiang Mai???

Selina: Dear Chris

Selina: We do not have flight from Ubon to Chiang Mai

Selina: Now

Selina: But we will have it soon

Selina: So, for further info

Selina: Please visit our website for further info

Chris (Mr.): goodbye!!

Selina: Thank you for contacting Live Chat @ AirAsia and have a pleasant day!

For what it's worth, Chiang Mai to Udon is now also showing on AirAsia's website as a valid flight pair. My guess has been that AirAsia will add service between Chiang Mai and Ubon three or four days per week and the remaining days will have a Chiang Mai-Udon service. Sounds like we'll know soon...

Think from memory, about 3 years ago, Ubon showed a flight to Chang Mai on the net. Never came about, wasn't AA. I won't plan any trips until I see the planes in the air. Jim

Well, well ,Have any of you a sense of humour? ,55555555.Hang in there . in your next life, MAYBE there will be a direct flight. Ubon .-C.M.And it might even be a return flight. That is ,for the hard of hearing C.M.-Ubon.

Great news, Last time I did this leg, CM-UBON I caught a early morning flight CM-BKK ( air asia) then taxi to don muang, then nok-air to ubon. In the past I have flown thai, they have convenient connections via suvarnabhum, but @ 5000 baht all up, it's pricey. I'm back in LOS in oct, hopefully this new service will be up & running by then.

regards songhklasid.B)

There are no direct flights Ubon/Chiang Mai/Ubon as far as I know.

Bangkok and Phuket are the only two destinations that can be reached by a direct flight!

But lets hope for the future! :D

..how about CNX/SIN, CNX/KL and CNX/Hat Yai

This is AWESOME!

Awesome? what is Awesome? Some stupid people want to fly overland? More money than sense?

English not your first language? It is awesome because you can fly for one hour instead of driving for 12.

Please do not tell me that you would take a bus for a full day to save 1,000 baht?

When I've got a throbbing boner for #2, & finished my duties @ house in CM, It's gunna be the fastest way to paradise ubon, bring it on.

regards songhklasid.B) B)

Ubon, Paradise? What can one say.!!!!!!

Guess paradise is wherever you find it.

This is AWESOME!

Awesome? what is Awesome? Some stupid people want to fly overland? More money than sense?

English not your first language? It is awesome because you can fly for one hour instead of driving for 12.

Please do not tell me that you would take a bus for a full day to save 1,000 baht?It is not a question of saving money.

Every time. I never fly overland. Always use land transport. Much more fun. I would never drive myself. In this case Nakornchai Air provides an excellent service btn Ubon and C.M. It might be 1 hour in the air.How many hours do you have to sit in the airport? .How long does it take to get to the air port?. How long does it take to exit the airport. To get to your destination. NOT 1 hour.

The One hour is the flying time. Just like the 12 hours is the bus travelling time. You still need to get to the bus terminal in time to purchase a ticket and get on board.

If I was still in Ubon it would be 5 minutes to the airport. (Closer then the bus terminal). 30 minutes prior to check in. One hour flight then about 15 minutes to get out of the airport at Chiang Mai. So about One hour and 50 minutes all up.

How can 12 hours sitting on a bus be 'much more fun'? Seriously, I would love to know how. In your first post you said 'more money than sense'. If the ticket price difference is lets say 1,000 baht and the difference in time is approx 12 hours then you must value your time at less then 100 baht an hour. Unless you are working at the local 7 11 then I cannot see how this makes 'more sense'

The One hour is the flying time. Just like the 12 hours is the bus travelling time. You still need to get to the bus terminal in time to purchase a ticket and get on board.

If I was still in Ubon it would be 5 minutes to the airport. (Closer then the bus terminal). 30 minutes prior to check in. One hour flight then about 15 minutes to get out of the airport at Chiang Mai. So about One hour and 50 minutes all up.

How can 12 hours sitting on a bus be 'much more fun'? Seriously, I would love to know how. In your first post you said 'more money than sense'. If the ticket price difference is lets say 1,000 baht and the difference in time is approx 12 hours then you must value your time at less then 100 baht an hour. Unless you are working at the local 7 11 then I cannot see how this makes 'more sense'

No, I do not want to sit "on" a bus. The roof would be pretty uncomfortable,and it may be a trifle windy. "In" a bus is fine.I have no need to value my time. It has nothing to do with money. Many of us prefer land transport, particularly trains.I have lived in Thailand ,since 1989,Have travelled the country. NEVER once have I been in a plane and have no intention of doing so. Trains are my preferred option ,but not always possible. I like to see the country , close up ,Can't be done in a plane. Be a pain ,travel by plane.

On or in? Quibbling over such semantics is petty.

If it has nothing to do with money they why make a comment like 'more money then sense'?

Congratulations on travelling Thailand by land for the last 2 + decades. Just because that is what you prefer does not mean others do as well and in fact some may indeed find new domestic air routes 'awesome'.

If it has nothing to do with money they why make a comment like 'more money then sense'?

Congratulations on travelling Thailand by land for the last 2 + decades. Just because that is what you prefer does not mean others do as well and in fact some may indeed find new domestic air routes 'awesome'.

Awesome?Want some synonyms? Here you go.!!! daunting, dreadful, formidable ,imposing ,intimidating, striking, fearful, frightening, Which one do you like?Source? Word for Word,a dictionary of synonyms. John. E Clark published by Harrap's Reference. Your use of the word "awesome" is totally incorrect in its correct meaning in the English Language.

Paradise ubon,Yes to me I luv it , I been travelling to thailand for 32yrs, owned a bar, minibuses phuket, married ( 23yrs) house in C.M, I am well & truly OVER THE PHUKET'S of this world, drunken falangs, rip off prices, katoey, kamoeys crowds. I can rent a nice room, pushbike for under $20aus per day, explore Laos, bus trips exploring the greater isaan, all in ubon, accompianied with my lovely mia-noi, & being able to speak thai is a big bonus conversing with these genuine good hearted people of isaan.

regards songhklasid,B) B) B)

Awesome?Want some synonyms? Here you go.!!! daunting, dreadful, formidable ,imposing ,intimidating, striking, fearful, frightening, Which one do you like?Source? Word for Word,a dictionary of synonyms. John. E Clark published by Harrap's Reference. Your use of the word "awesome" is totally incorrect in its correct meaning in the English Language.

I love it when people totally changed the subject when they cannot answer the question in front of them. Speaking of questions, it is generally polite to wait for an answer before proceeding. You asked 'want some synonyms?' My reply actually would have been 'no thanks'.

Please also try and remember that I was not the person who called this new route 'awesome' although I do tend to agree with him. Awesome indeed if it means not having to sit next to you on a bus for 12 hours. B)

I find buses torturous. Nakhonchai Air is only at night, I can't sleep sitting up, you can't see anything and you don't get to stop and see places.

I already do this route pretty often in my own vehicle I love to drive but sometimes a flight is nice if you aren't transporting things. And then there's the fact I've almost been washed off the road and hit by a tree in Nam Nao during rainy season. I'll take an hour flight. I'm 5 minutes from the airport. I could be eating khao soi in about 2 hours. That is indeed awesome! :)

Air Asia also has good promotions if you plan ahead. I flew to Phuket last year cheaper than a bus ticket to Bangkok.

Every time. I never fly overland. Always use land transport. Much more fun. I would never drive myself. In this case Nakornchai Air provides an excellent service btn Ubon and C.M. It might be 1 hour in the air.How many hours do you have to sit in the airport? .How long does it take to get to the air port?. How long does it take to exit the airport. To get to your destination. NOT 1 hour.

Edited by ubonrthai

I find buses torturous. Nakhonchai Air is only at night, I can't sleep sitting up, you can't see anything and you don't get to stop and see places.

I already do this route pretty often in my own vehicle I love to drive but sometimes a flight is nice if you aren't transporting things. And then there's the fact I've almost been washed off the road and hit by a tree in Nam Nao during rainy season. I'll take an hour flight. I'm 5 minutes from the airport. I could be eating khao soi in about 2 hours. That is indeed awesome! :)

Air Asia also has good promotions if you plan ahead. I flew to Phuket last year cheaper than a bus ticket to Bangkok.

N C Air do have several day buses from Ubon at least for Bkk.

The direct flight to Phuket, and the future one to CM are indeed valued improvements for most people.

I for one would not consider going by bus to (for example) Phuket, but each to his own............ :D

Edited by bergen