Train To Penang

roly

Hello.

Has anyone taken the train from HH to Penang, and if so what's it like? I was thinking of going next month for a few days to get a new visa or two...down to Butterworth and then into Penang whilst I wait for a visa. Other option is to go to Laos. I guess there's a lot of information on the visa pages, but it seems quite an easy option to just get on the train locally here..

Thanks.

I have gone from BKK to Penang. I suspect it would be difficult to get a sleeper from Hua Hin to Penang at Hua Hin. Sleeper is the only way to go.

Not difficult at all. Dead set easy, in fact . It does require you to book in advance at the H.H. railway station. Do not book all the way to Butterworth, BTW the train DOES NOT go to Penang, it goes to Butterworth ,It is time consuming to go to Penang via B.W. Far better to go to Hat Yai, then get a mini bus from H.H. to Penang.I always used to travel 2nd class non -air ,lower berth. I would go to the restaurant car, nearly every time meeting "farang" and we would quaff a few ales together. Just in case ,I have a cooler that holds 6 tins of Chang-for emergencies -mind. Have had so many very pleasant trips. Thoughouly recommend travel by train to H.H. Good fun

The train from Butterworth will take you to the ferry terminal. Avoid the taxi touts trying to steer you away from the cheap-as-chips ferry across to Georgetown. The ferry costs about 50 cents and the taxi mob will want $30. Up to you.

post-6392-0-70231200-1311874852_thumb.jp

post-6392-0-08399100-1311874888_thumb.jp

Ah OK - so looks like there's 2 options:

1. Sleeper from Hua Hin to Hat Yai then minibus to Penang

2. Sleeper from Hua Hin to Butterworth (slower) then to ferry terminal, which goes direct to Georgetown

(and I have to book in advance to guarantee a sleeper).

If I go to Hat Yai is it easy to just pick up a minibus somewhere?

I was thinking a nice air conditioned room on the train would be nice if they have such a thing, as long as it's not too costly. Anyway, sounds like a good plan going by train and a good laugh too.

The first trip to Hua Hin I ever made (on first trip to Thailand) in 2007 was by train from Bangkok - the journey took hours but I'd brought a bottle of gin, so I went to the restaurant car and got drunk with some faring and the train conductors! great fun. I was trying to avoid an old falang lady that kept going on about how irresponsible it was to drive in Thailand and she didn't like sleaze either. Needless to say I discovered Soi Bintabaht walking through town to find a guest house and got all the usual 'handsome man' comments. Oh happy days. Doesn't happen now though he he.

I'm in Penang (Georgetown) right now.

Came last week from Hat Yai. The train leave Hat Yai at 7:00 AM, it's a nice 6 hours trip to Butterworth. The border crossing is very straightforward : You step out on the platform, go through the Thai immigration, Malaysian immigration, back to the platform to board your train.

From the Butterworth railway station, you follow the covered footway to the ferry terminal (there is signpost), it's about a 200 meters walk. Ferry leaves every 15 minutes, the crossing take 15 minutes and leave you very close from the city center (basically at the end of Chulia Street). The fare is 1.20 MYR / ~ 12 Baht (The crossing the other way around from Georgetown to Butterworth is free)

From Hua Hin to Hat Yai, I would go by bus / minibus, faster and cheaper.

Edited by TheWanderer

OK that's another option then to bus it down to Hat Yai.

I'm guessing I'll be able to book a comfy bus from the main bus station in town (on Petchkasem road). I'm 6 foot 4 (a veritable giant around here!) so I'd have to make sure it really is a VIP bus or at least has a decent amount of leg room. Usually I'm not keen on the minibuses as I'm so cramped up usually, especially when stuck at the back and the way they drive you end up hitting your head on the ceiling every 5 minutes...

If I took a bus down to HatYai then a train or another minibus, I might spend a night in Hat Yai if there's anything to do there? (minimum requirements = beer. Optional requirements = lovely lady).

Well it's all good information and gives me a few options. I about 2 weeks before I need to go anyway so some time to consider the options.

agree johnnyk - there in Feb and used the ferry - note it is free one way.

some info here

That site quotes R 1.20, that's 12 baht. Nice trip too.

Yes, you pay once and get a round trip. Even cheaper than I remembered. And it is a nice little trip.

OK that's another option then to bus it down to Hat Yai.

I'm guessing I'll be able to book a comfy bus from the main bus station in town (on Petchkasem road). I'm 6 foot 4 (a veritable giant around here!) so I'd have to make sure it really is a VIP bus or at least has a decent amount of leg room. Usually I'm not keen on the minibuses as I'm so cramped up usually, especially when stuck at the back and the way they drive you end up hitting your head on the ceiling every 5 minutes...

If I took a bus down to HatYai then a train or another minibus, I might spend a night in Hat Yai if there's anything to do there? (minimum requirements = beer. Optional requirements = lovely lady).

Well it's all good information and gives me a few options. I about 2 weeks before I need to go anyway so some time to consider the options.

Proper big VIP bus HH >> HY, should be lots of room. No probs with girls in HY. Many smaller hotels have massage on premises and girls sitting around the lobby near the bar. Look for Chinese lanterns outside venues.

I too recommend the train as posted above-- 2nd class aircon sleeper, lower berth. Book it at HH station, eezy peezy and cheap.

One advantage of train over bus is the train has a dining car (avoid falang brekkie - its truly awful) and you can sit and have a beer or three, sometimes with train staff when they are done working. One pal of mine enjoyed a good time with a female train staffer in his berth.

Edited by johnnyk